Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

3rd Gear

So I'm short better the get jap cars????

Depends what u want. Here is my experience last year. 

While I was driving a 1.4 TSI VW... it felt like a time bomb... i told myself to go back Japs for peace of mind next time. Nevertheless I had a lot of fun for 7 yrs with the VW , with one time towed back for MU replacement FOC as under 5 yrs warranty. It is still worth it for the 1 time inconvenient for 7 yrs of fun drive if u ask me. However there are other owners not so lucky with more towing back situation.

I sold my VW direct to another buyer within 10 days advertising. Surprisingly I can find many like minded people that values a good drive so the sales was pretty hassle free and at a reasonable price (my buyer take in at 8.1k depre).

before I sell the car I went and test drove a range of models, mostly japs and korean and skip those high SES brands... hv to say it was very uninspired where after the test drive I go back to my VW and it actually drives better vs the many japs. The only one that worth mentioning is power rides such as XT. 

Then i guess its due to the CVT characteristic that was the main factor that drag down the fun.

So i gave up the idea to change the car... till one day I went to SEAT and test drove a 1.0 TSI. Despite a 1.0 but the test drive kept me thinking about it. So which by then I decided to go back to a VAG car. It may not be as reliable, but the fun factor alone is worth it.

There is not black or white, 1 or 0 .... its really up to individual preference and needs in their car.

Shiokness or Reliability?.... That's the question.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Some of the recent questions asked is really questionable . Doesn’t seem like the inquirer knows or drives Vw cars at all. Anyway bashing VW 7DSG is really common, nothing new since 2011. Yawnzzz, I am going down to my carpark to see if my SEAT Leon has the flashing D symbol .

VW services really par excellence. Just cannot figure out why the DSG is still a problem after all these years. Heat related to our weather..????

While I was driving a 1.4 TSI VW... it felt like a time bomb... i told myself to go back Japs for peace of mind next time. Nevertheless I had a lot of fun for 7 yrs with the VW , with one time towed back for MU replacement FOC as under 5 yrs warranty. It is still worth it for the 1 time inconvenient for 7 yrs of fun drive if u ask me. However there are other owners not so lucky with more towing back situation.

I sold my VW direct to another buyer within 10 days advertising. Surprisingly I can find many like minded people that values a good drive so the sales was pretty hassle free and at a reasonable price (my buyer take in at 8.1k depre).

before I sell the car I went and test drove a range of models, mostly japs and korean and skip those high SES brands... hv to say it was very uninspired where after the test drive I go back to my VW and it actually drives better vs the many japs. The only one that worth mentioning is power rides such as XT.

Then i guess its due to the CVT characteristic that was the main factor that drag down the fun.

So i gave up the idea to change the car... till one day I went to SEAT and test drove a 1.0 TSI. Despite a 1.0 but the test drive kept me thinking about it. So which by then I decided to go back to a VAG car. It may not be as reliable, but the fun factor alone is worth it.

There is not black or white, 1 or 0 .... its really up to individual preference and needs in their car.

I agree , I won’t be caught in a jap car anymore, drive not shiok, i rather take public transport

Twincharged

Have VW solve the gearbox issue btw? Given than it is know for years already

Not 100%,if still using the DSG,if they switch to Aisin 8 speed Auto...then is solve. [thumbsup]

Have VW solve the gearbox issue btw? Given than it is know for years already

From what i read, it seems only the 7 DSG with 250NM torque model is problematic. The higher model GB are more reliable. Perhaps due to manufacturing cost thats why VW is keeping this model of GB despite the inherit issues.

yeah, one day, stuck in peak hour 6pm jam on expressway, with a crying baby and nagging wife.

shiok to max.

(edited)

yeah, one day, stuck in peak hour 6pm jam on expressway, with a crying baby and nagging wife.

shiok to max.

The gearbox don't just die like that. Early on long before it will die already got light warning already, if never don't maintain or bother to fix the issue then it will die. Anyway no point explaining to you, just go back and drive your japanese car.

Edited by Zedj
  • Praise 3

So I'm short better the get jap cars????

Korean cars are more value for money & their interior are far better looking than the japs.

Back to your questions about VW, if you have the slightest doubts about the reliability, worry about the maintenance cost and potential huge repair cost, then better don’t get VW.

Some myths on conti car parts are expensive are nonsense, I bought 3pcs/set of original engine mount from stockist only $280, u can buy a individually too.

I bought a preowned VW knowing fully the potential problems, I just set aside a 4 figure sum of $ for the repairs if needed, simple as.

Before this, been driving jap cars all along with cvt gearbox, but after tasting the shiokness of the DSG, it’s very difficult to go back to other gearbox. I liken the DSG/VW cars to a fun, bubbly and chio GF you would like to have and hangout with rather than a plain Jane( nothing wrong with plane Jane, just a matter of taste & preference).

Cheers.

The gearbox don't just die like that. Early on long before it will die already got light warning already, if never don't maintain or bother to fix the issue then it will die. Anyway no point explaining to you, just go back and drive your japanese car.

Yeah. I need a car that works 99% of the time.

Be honest, everytime your car got clank sound. What’s ur first thought haha

I read this thread with amusement the 2 distinctive camps, and their replies.

Each with their theories on conti, and japanese makes of cars, the reliability, etc....

Not going to mention what I drive, because you will just think my opinion is skewed as such.

But put that aside, and I will give my 2 cents.

There is no way to change any deep set thinking, perceived from the years of what one will hear from my brother in law, father in law, my friend, my colleague, my whatever ownership of what and what car.

One time you hear, and the impression seeps in, and stays there, unless you have personally perceived otherwise.

It will only get reinforced, when you hear another case from another friend, nephew, friend of a friend, etc, etc...

The only way is to experience it yourself, of course great if you have.

But in the Singapore context, most are just getting out to get into their first ride.

Buyers are smarter, they go around looking for resources, before embarking to make that first big ticket purchase.

Again, these resources can be a collective pool, just like this thread, each with an opinion, from the experiences gained, or i hear from so and so.

If you believe conti, and japanese makes are such and such, great.

But until you have a go at it, it will remain what you make of it in your mind.

Again, not everyone is fortunate enough to get that opportunity, not everyone will dare to take the risk on such.

It will always be a slight game of chance when coming to car ownership.

• Praise 1

Chance favours the prepared mind.

Before they buy they never heard of dsg.

Now they cannot forget.

Other people read here all the problems existing owners have and non owners imaginary experience and then decide to buy or not to buy.

Smart people separate advertising from reality.

:D

Yeah. I need a car that works 99% of the time.

Be honest, everytime your car got clank sound. What’s ur first thought haha

Seriously! replying at 12:20am with this type of questions? Get more sleep better lah!

Why are you so concerned about VW owner's thoughts & feeling? If you wanna know then go owned one and you will know.

There's nothing wrong with driving Japs, korean or conti, to each his own but why must you keep on harping about the issues with VAG cars, we got your point already.

Seriously! replying at 12:20am with this type of questions? Get more sleep better lah!

Why are you so concerned about VW owner's thoughts & feeling? If you wanna know then go owned one and you will know.

There's nothing wrong with driving Japs, korean or conti, to each his own but why must you keep on harping about the issues with VAG cars, we got your point already.

Hahaha. Love ur reaction