Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

That is an expensive option. But I'm thinking whether it's possible to indent a manual transmission and a set of foot pedals to replace the faulty dual clutch altogether. I know have to inform LTA and do an inspection another issue is finding a workshop who can do it. For the money spent I think it is more worth while dan say letting your car to sit in the AD workshop for ages but yet the problem persist. Breaking down by the roadside. Money spent on replacing the transmission when warranty expire. Or change to another car.

I would rather go thru the trouble of replacing the gearbox to a good old manual tranny. Especially when I really like the car.

The cost will be too prohibitive in Singapore. Must well self-import similar model with manual tranny.

↡ Advertisement

Or just go for a Lexus GS. Reliable, more comfortable and quieter than most if not all conti makes and lower maintenance costs.

I sold my Jetta TSI after 2 and a half year... It sucks man... Performance acceptable... but the maintenance and the car quality sucks big time...

Just go back to Jap lah..

I don't come by the forum that much these days... so in answer to your question...

The Gearbox had to be changed, as the local techs don't have any other solution (either they don't know how to do so, or didn't have the authority to do so)... as they didn't want to waste time (and money) fixing one thing only to have another fail...

So I agreed to the change as they also gave me a large discount (having written in to every tom dick and harry I could find at VW Singapore, VW Group Asia, VW Germany) and since the gearbox was swapped more than 20,000km ago, it has been rather well-behaved.

More money had to be spent on things like engine mounts and other worn out parts, but my 5 year old 1.8TSI Passat is in great shape; almost feels brand new (no vibration at the stop lights), accelerates, corners and stops rather well... it's gonna be hard to find a replacement for the old car...

As for the gearbox issues for other VW, I heard that most of the 7-Speed DSG have been resolved (as have the service and repair timings), so I don't know if that is of concern.

For other gearboxes, I don't know if the 6AT (like mine) have reported similar failures as it was not a popular car in those years (compared to the thousands of Jetta/Golf/Touran/Polo that came with the 7DSG)

Neutral Newbie

I don't come by the forum that much these days... so in answer to your question...

The Gearbox had to be changed, as the local techs don't have any other solution (either they don't know how to do so, or didn't have the authority to do so)... as they didn't want to waste time (and money) fixing one thing only to have another fail...

So I agreed to the change as they also gave me a large discount (having written in to every tom dick and harry I could find at VW Singapore, VW Group Asia, VW Germany) and since the gearbox was swapped more than 20,000km ago, it has been rather well-behaved.

More money had to be spent on things like engine mounts and other worn out parts, but my 5 year old 1.8TSI Passat is in great shape; almost feels brand new (no vibration at the stop lights), accelerates, corners and stops rather well... it's gonna be hard to find a replacement for the old car...

As for the gearbox issues for other VW, I heard that most of the 7-Speed DSG have been resolved (as have the service and repair timings), so I don't know if that is of concern.

For other gearboxes, I don't know if the 6AT (like mine) have reported similar failures as it was not a popular car in those years (compared to the thousands of Jetta/Golf/Touran/Polo that came with the 7DSG)

My 07 Passat 2.0 FSI (non DSG) seems to be having the same issue since Oct last year and was advised to replace the Gear box. The price tag of 10K is a killer and hence the hesitation.

The symptoms on mine are like: 2-3/3-2 gear change is very jerky (some sort of resistance to shift), when cold the change seems smooth, once the car warms up it kicks in. engine oil consumption is very high despite changing oil pump late last year (also changed engine mounts etc). I would really appreciate if you could share more details on how you went about it. Man it's driving me nuts.

My 07 Passat 2.0 FSI (non DSG) seems to be having the same issue since Oct last year and was advised to replace the Gear box. The price tag of 10K is a killer and hence the hesitation.

The symptoms on mine are like: 2-3/3-2 gear change is very jerky (some sort of resistance to shift), when cold the change seems smooth, once the car warms up it kicks in. engine oil consumption is very high despite changing oil pump late last year (also changed engine mounts etc). I would really appreciate if you could share more details on how you went about it. Man it's driving me nuts.

The oil consumption is also high for BMW cars....sometimes have to top up 1 liter of engine oil every 2 weeks.

Seriously i think these are quite minor problems and should not drive you nuts....do a quick 1 min check on the dipstick every 2 weeks and keep a bottle of synthetic oil with you in the boot, its all part of the car maintenance....

For the jerkiness during gear change, if it is not affecting your daily commute then just live with it lor...

wa lau...was thinking of used skoda (1.8 - 7speed) or teana 2.5

was previously leaning towards the superb....but after reading all the above posts....... :blink:

don't really like to frequent the workshop for GB problems. Haizzz

The oil consumption is also high for BMW cars....sometimes have to top up 1 liter of engine oil every 2 weeks.

Seriously i think these are quite minor problems and should not drive you nuts....do a quick 1 min check on the dipstick every 2 weeks and keep a bottle of synthetic oil with you in the boot, its all part of the car maintenance....

For the jerkiness during gear change, if it is not affecting your daily commute then just live with it lor...

woah so troublesome, japanese cars no need check dipstick every 2 weeks, no need spare bottle of synthetic oil and no jerkiness during gear change....

My Honda civic also need to top up engine oil (EO) every 2 weeks - 300ml

Probably, I rev and EO burn off. If you read up why EO burn off, you will understand and accept the engine limitation.

You cannot change the chacteristic of the engine. A slight improve using thicker oil

having to spend thousands of dollars buying a car and to live with problems that needs to spend another thousands... it's very HARD to just live with it lor...

Turbocharged

My 3yr old BMW so far no gearbox issues. No oil leaks save for a worn out valve cover gasket, a half day job. Which BMW model require 1 litre every 2 wks?

Neutral Newbie

Oil consumption is high so I keep 1 liter bottle in boot for refills every 2-3 weeks.

I have been living with the jerk (sometimes throws you forward) for the past year and more but when it spreads to other gears including reverse ...beh tahan it's scary. Past experience also haunts, (3 years ago, driving at 80 on AYE towards Clementi with family, ...engine cut off at high speed, managed to shift to neutral and filter to road shoulder as it was Sunday afternoon with less traffic, restarted ok, VW reported faulty exhaust sensor.)

Recently noticed all the drive letters highlighted and the gear display frozen on 2 or at times blank gear number. The car of course keeps moving and shifts (with jerks) all the way through.

Jialat.... the new Golf also like that.... waste my time creating the thread on it.

U go take up golf better. U know e game wh a little white ball n a club.

Hahaha.

True,ZF are good tranmission,only the DSG are problematic,but these cars with ZF Auto are mainly big CC type of cars like Audi A8 & BMW 5 or 7 series,not on small cars.

Thats why i prefer to stay away fm "new technology " until its been around fr awhile n tried n tested.

Once ty get all e bugs out then its time to buy. -_-

maybe they can market the "fault" as a "feature" . Fuzzy logic monitoring. The car will actively monitor the driver and front passenger's stress level through sophisticated and wide ranging sensors. Upon detecting fatigue , will send a cool and calming wave of soothing throbs for a soothing, stress relieving session.

U sud b working fr vw marketing dept.

Hahaha.

BMW needs engine oil top-up of 1lit every 2 weeks?

R u very sure? Thats a hell of a lot of oil.

I never heard other BMW owners say this b4.

Neutral Newbie

I still think that European cars work best in cold weather.. Driving a 7spd in Germany confirm no jerk reaction.. Therefore if you want problem free, avoid VW. Still want cheap conti LLST..

Turbocharged

BMW needs engine oil top-up of 1lit every 2 weeks?

R u very sure? Thats a hell of a lot of oil.

I never heard other BMW owners say this b4.

Engine oil needs topping up every 2 weeks?? Dude doesn't realise somewhere is leaking.

↡ Advertisement