Motor insurance premiums continue to rise

Fivegear

SINGAPORE : Motor insurance premiums will continue to go up this year as insurers look to recoup underwriting losses, said the president of the General Insurance Association of Singapore (GIA), Derek Teo.

GIA said the industry's underwriting losses widened to S$48.9 million, some S$4 million higher than in 2009.

Last year, the average motor insurance premium rose 6.5 per cent to S$1,100.

In 2009, it had increased by a larger 20 per cent.

GIA said the two major floods last year led to 428 motor insurance claims amounting to S$11.6 million.

The number of reported accidents in Singapore also remained high at some 162,500 last year.

Motor insurance accounts for the largest slice of the general insurance pie, making up roughly 40 per cent of the industry.

- CNA/al

↡ Advertisement

WTF?

They are opportunistic. Now, blame it on the flood

SINGAPORE : Motor insurance premiums will continue to go up this year as insurers look to recoup underwriting losses, said the president of the General Insurance Association of Singapore (GIA), Derek Teo.

GIA said the industry's underwriting losses widened to S$48.9 million, some S$4 million higher than in 2009.

GIA said the two major floods last year led to 428 motor insurance claims amounting to S$11.6 million.

The number of reported accidents in Singapore also remained high at some 162,500 last year.

Motor insurance accounts for the largest slice of the general insurance pie, making up roughly 40 per cent of the industry.

- CNA/al

WTF?

They are opportunistic. Now, blame it on the flood

yeah man really WTF. this kind of things also want to recoup. not as if its our fault that the cars got flooded.

btw, how much your premium now?

- CNA/al

If coming year no flood, the premium will come down? It really b-------t.

Show us the total premium collected and the amount of payout and we will see how true it is

Turbocharged

wah bio eh..so the increase in NCD each year is only enough to meet the percentage increase in premiums...sianz

yeah man really WTF. this kind of things also want to recoup. not as if its our fault that the cars got flooded.

btw, how much your premium now?

Turbocharged

If coming year no flood, the premium will come down? It really b-------t.

Show us the total premium collected and the amount of payout and we will see how true it is

Charge to Yakoob and PUB?

- CNA/al

This is absurd. I would like to ask GIA if I have the opportunity. For the past 30 years (quote from someone: Once in 30 years) there has been no flood of this scale, what happen to the premium paid over the last 30 years? Keeping quiet and sweep it under the carpet?

any business related to cars in singapore is big business.. we are indirectly letting them make big $$.. what to do? sell our cars away and take public transport?

any business related to cars in singapore is big business.. we are indirectly letting them make big $$.. what to do? sell our cars away and take public transport?

I think once ppl own car before, they won't ever trade the comforts of having a car for public transportation.

wah bio eh..so the increase in NCD each year is only enough to meet the percentage increase in premiums...sianz

exactly what im facing.... guess applicable to everyone........ in fact although i got extra 10% NCD each year, my premium went up about 10% each year.........................

exactly what im facing.... guess applicable to everyone........ in fact although i got extra 10% NCD each year, my premium went up about 10% each year.........................

i think more than 10% increase usually.. [bigcry]

that's why we are always the carrot head.. [knife]

Can we appoint one of us to setup a MCF co-opt insurance and appoint our members to run it ?

I think the premium we collect should be enough to run the show ! Moreover , we are are good drivers , accident free for my last 20 years ! Any one can start this project ?

Can we appoint one of us to setup a MCF co-opt insurance and appoint our members to run it ?

I think the premium we collect should be enough to run the show ! Moreover , we are are good drivers , accident free for my last 20 years ! Any one can start this project ?

U got capital Ma? Mcf insurance pte ltd

All these does not sound like insurance.

What we are paying is an installment plan for the damages claimed.

So whose fault is it that there was flooding? Any report out? Why are we paying for their mistakes?

Sigh.

Neutral Newbie

All these does not sound like insurance.

What we are paying is an installment plan for the damages claimed.

So whose fault is it that there was flooding? Any report out? Why are we paying for their mistakes?

Sigh.

ya lo...

Strongly agree... If everytink happen must charge to us then why in the first get insureance for?

Like that i tink car with no insurance might drive in a more safely way coz no insurance cover...

Thus result in lesser accident?

Flood damages, young drivers accidents, all accidents charge to consumers....

Then when they earned money, nv refund us the balance...

↡ Advertisement