Define your quality time moment with your child(ren)

Thargor

For me...I spend a lot of quantity time with my girl...as well as quality time. Recently we have this sweet 'habit'....close to her bedtime...she will sit on my lap and we will watch her fav show from babyTV....then as she gets tired..she will rest her head backwards on my chest...and I will ask her.."baby...sleep sleep already ok?". When she is ready..she will nod her head and I will carry her to bed bed. :wub:

↡ Advertisement

for me, will watch educational show on portable dvd player with younger daughter and coerce her to sleep. have to sing abc songs with her or let her play with iphone. sometimes she sleep late (due to longer nap) and we become wear out. last night baby had nightmare throughout the night and she woke up many times, whole night i didnt sleep now sleeping while on course. zzz...

quality time ? sadly mostly go shopping besides playing together.

Neutral Newbie

I think they type of quality time also depends on the age of the child.. at different ages you would do different things...

I personally feel that pampering a child too much to the extent that most things are done by the maid is a big no no... as parents, we should instill a strong sense of responsibility to the kid.. at the right age of course..

I think they type of quality time also depends on the age of the child.. at different ages you would do different things...

I personally feel that pampering a child too much to the extent that most things are done by the maid is a big no no... as parents, we should instill a strong sense of responsibility to the kid.. at the right age of course..

too much pampering, too much praising, too much positive comments, too much attention, too much fairy tales story, too much dependent..... in the end become too gu-niang, once enter Primary school, cannot accept/ face/ handle his/her monkey class mates. :D

for me, i will try to do activities together with my son. Be it playing games/toys or doing some art n craft, watching children's programmes on the tv to reading a book, i will try to do it with him.

sorry to digress.. should we expose our little ones to the tv, ipad and the likes? many experts have warned on the effects of such stimulation i.e rapid flashes on screen, affecting future learning.

any parents of older children being able to comment if this cld be true?

For me...I spend a lot of quantity time with my girl...as well as quality time. Recently we have this sweet 'habit'....close to her bedtime...she will sit on my lap and we will watch her fav show from babyTV....then as she gets tired..she will rest her head backwards on my chest...and I will ask her.."baby...sleep sleep already ok?". When she is ready..she will nod her head and I will carry her to bed bed. :wub:

so sweet, for me I will read her her Dora books then after her milk I will accompany her in the room till she falls asleep.

Turbocharged

My quality time since my girl was young has been bedtime. Every night read bedtime story - started with those "See SPot run" type, went to "Sam I Am" (was her favourite for a while) then Grimm Bros. and Hans Christian Anderson - now we are up to those Enid Blyton chapter stories - and she is just as likely to read to me and baby sister as I am to read to her.

After that I sing to her until she falls asleep - my wife likes to joke that she is the only one in the world that can take my singing [:p][laugh]

For me, I would really discourage basing quality time around an electronic device of any sort - but that's just me, I am very old fashioned like that.

Quality time with my son is Guitar hero world tour and Rock bands on the nintendo wii.... I'm psuedo guitarist, and he a maniac drummer.. Also help to get his taste in music to matured faster (don't know if it's a good thing, but we got common topic on music)

Neutral Newbie

Our 11 yr old girl is an only child. Our weekend are burnt at the yacht club where she is an active sailor. Joining in with her passions and being part of it keep us all connected. Weekday is the normal chauffeuring her from school and to all her other extra activities. At this age and stage where she is growing up very fast, every moment is quality time even the early morning drive to school counts. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

I make it a point to send my children to school and drop them personally in class everyday.

I will communicate with them on the happenings in school that day. Same too applies to their swimming and enrichment lessons.

Most importantly, I have a weekly private session with my kids to share our thoughts (likes and dislikes) with each other.

Open session without hard feelings wor. They regard me as a friend and confidante. I realize this helps as I seldom need to resort too much on corporal punishment to enforce discipline. My logic is children do not want to upset their friend generally, however parents wise they usually do not give a hoot.. Gone were the times where what the parents said were correct and cast in stone which I grew up with.. This bonding and friend approach actually saves me breadth and energy to shout or scream frequently to enforce discipline. Quite effective actually..

Edited by Sirex

anyone read about this issue in yesterday sunday times?

the article is very nice, but it is only for fun/ relax reading or have some meaning behind it :)

Where? If no link how to talk? Take a picture lah.

I only read about that Terence Smelly who only wants to be friends. LoL... And the China lady say neh-mind, can wait.

Where? If no link how to talk? Take a picture lah.

I only read about that Terence Smelly who only wants to be friends. LoL... And the China lady say neh-mind, can wait.

take picture must wear lolex watch or not? [laugh]

sorry to digress.. should we expose our little ones to the tv, ipad and the likes? many experts have warned on the effects of such stimulation i.e rapid flashes on screen, affecting future learning.

any parents of older children being able to comment if this cld be true?

Confirmed there is effect on young children.

there was a period this year that i let my children watch disney junior after i subscibed to.

After a few weeks, i notices that the children has less patience and got gotten feedback from the school that they were less attentive.

I then stopped all tv and instead let the children to play lego and playdon during their free time. After a few mth, there is noticable different.

Today, i do allow them to watch tv but only during the wkends. :) I stopped my subscription to disney junior because it keeps playing repeats. Instead, i records and play "playschool" from Oz network which i think is more educational.

↡ Advertisement