Rough understanding of the Singapore Governance & GE

Iisterry

Quite a lot of questions this time round on "what ifs?"... "What if Ah Loong loses?"

Sharing some basic knowledge about the whole "democracy" in Singapore. Other more enlightened brothers feel free to chip in or correct any errors.

The whole process roughly goes like this:

1) PM proposes to the President to dissolve parliament.

2) President gives the go ahead and dissolves parliament.

3) Nominations of candidates.

4)Campaigning... Mudslinging... Character assassination...

5) Appointment of Prime Minister by President based on majority confidence in Parliament (typically the winning party with the most votes). ***so to answer most of the queries, Ah Loong can lose his position and still be appointed PM by Prataman. However if the other parties hold most of the seats in parliament, he will not be able to rubber stamp anything.

6) PM designates and appoints his own ministers. NMP or NCMP can be appointed as ministers technically, but they usually will at least be an MP since they are in the winning party.

We have 3 branches in goverment:

1) Executive - The cabinet of ministers, generally controls and holds most of the power in the government. They pass laws like 10% GST, etc...

2) Legislative - The MPs, they vote on bills, question the ministers, etc...

3) Judiciary - The legal branch, they interpret laws, pass judgements, set precedents, etc... No one is above the law and so on and forth...

Theoretically, the 3 branches are able to check each others power and prevent abuses. However, some are more equal than others.

Even if PAP were to be totally voted out in the next GE, they will still exercise tremendous power via their statutory boards, civil & public service.

The "Elected" President can also appoint alot of powerful positions, CDF, COA, Chief Justice, AG, CPIB Director, etc... unless overruled by at least two-third of Parliament.

Oh, and who determines who is eligible for Presidency? The Presidential Elections Committee, comprising Chairman PSC, Chairman ACRA, a member of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights.

Disclaimer: Some of the statements made be made in error, it is just roughly how I remember it.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/

Edited by Iisterry
↡ Advertisement

In reality, is it a case of 'your rub my back, i rub yours'?? (genuine question)

Quite a lot of questions this time round on "what ifs?"... "What if Ah Loong loses?"

Sharing some basic knowledge about the whole "democracy" in Singapore. Other more enlightened brothers feel free to chip in or correct any errors.

The whole process roughly goes like this:

1) PM proposes to the President to dissolve parliament.

2) President gives the go ahead and dissolves parliament.

3) Nominations of candidates.

4)Campaigning... Mudslinging... Character assassination...

5) Appointment of Prime Minister by President based on majority confidence in Parliament (typically the winning party with the most votes). ***so to answer most of the queries, Ah Loong can lose his position and still be appointed PM by Prataman. However if the other parties hold most of the seats in parliament, he will not be able to rubber stamp anything.

6) PM designates and appoints his own ministers. NMP or NCMP can be appointed as ministers technically, but they usually will at least be an MP since they are in the winning party.

We have 3 branches in goverment:

1) Executive - The cabinet of ministers, generally controls and holds most of the power in the government. They pass laws like 10% GST, etc...

2) Legislative - The MPs, they vote on bills, question the ministers, etc...

3) Judiciary - The legal branch, they interpret laws, pass judgements, set precedents, etc... No one is above the law and so on and forth...

Theoretically, the 3 branches are able to check each others power and prevent abuses. However, some are more equal than others.

Even if PAP were to be totally voted out in the next GE, they will still exercise tremendous power via their statutory boards, civil & public service.

The "Elected" President can also appoint alot of powerful positions, CDF, COA, Chief Justice, AG, CPIB Director, etc... unless overruled by at least two-third of Parliament.

Oh, and who determines who is eligible for Presidency? The Presidential Elections Committee, comprising Chairman PSC, Chairman ACRA, a member of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights.

Disclaimer: Some of the statements made be made in error, it is just roughly how I remember it.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/

In reality, is it a case of 'your rub my back, i rub yours'?? (genuine question)

My politically correct genuine answer.

lady_justice_resize2.jpg

My politically correct genuine answer.

but this piece of stone has been raped and mocked thousands time by 'reality'!? .............. [:(]:wacko:

But in reality no need to worry la

If LHL lose, TCH will take over

If not there will still be GCT, experience ma

If not old Lee will step in again

there is definitely succession plans in place la

↡ Advertisement