Whining sound : Lift off accelerator

Str2

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

I'm having this problem for some time as in while travelling in gear, when I lift my foot off the accelerator, there is this whining noise and its seems to be from the auto tramsmission gearbox....some kind of sharp engine brake noise, very annoying. Car is 6 yrs old.

Once I just step on accerelator slightly to keep car going, the sound disappears. I lift off pedal, sound comes back immed.

I know its not wheel bearings or belts (both air-con and alternator belts hv been replaced).

Hope that some forumers can help feedback what is the cause?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

My timing belt is chain type.

Can timing belt caused this as when pedal is on (no engine brake), noise disappears.

The whining noise happens on all gears.

(Tyres are new and definitely not typre noise).

My timing belt is chain type.

Can timing belt caused this as when pedal is on (no engine brake), noise disappears.

The whining noise happens on all gears.

(Tyres are new and definitely not typre noise).

I encountered this problem with my old sub legacy. Whining sound when idling, but sound gone when i accelerate. Can't remember whether my mech say is timing belt or alternator belt. But its definitely one of these two.

But then you say yours happen in any gear.... Mine only happen at idle. So might not be the same problem as mine....

Neutral Newbie

Had this problem last week. Replaced with a recon set alternator and sound is gone now. If you're unsure, search Youtube on "Alternator whine".

Neutral Newbie

Thanks.....I will check this alternator whine but may not be for my case.

The whine comes on when I lift off accerelator (slowing down) and gone when I step on accerelator.

When rev up during idling....no whine.

That's why is puzzling and I suspect is gearbox related.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks.....I will check this alternator whine but may not be for my case.

The whine comes on when I lift off accerelator (slowing down) and gone when I step on accerelator.

When rev up during idling....no whine.

That's why is puzzling and I suspect is gearbox related.

Could it be brake pads due for replacement?

Supercharged

Hi All,

I'm having this problem for some time as in while travelling in gear, when I lift my foot off the accelerator, there is this whining noise and its seems to be from the auto tramsmission gearbox....some kind of sharp engine brake noise, very annoying. Car is 6 yrs old.

Once I just step on accerelator slightly to keep car going, the sound disappears. I lift off pedal, sound comes back immed.

I know its not wheel bearings or belts (both air-con and alternator belts hv been replaced).

Hope that some forumers can help feedback what is the cause?

You never say what car you driving???

could it be the CVT Gear??? CVT gives a whining noise.......

How often do you change your CVT oil? Every 20k or 40k?

Edited by Donut

Neutral Newbie

Nope, mine is not CVT.

Auto transmission oil has been replaced on time per owner's manual and recently twice at only 40,000 km interval thinking that could be problem.

Nope still the same...sigh.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I can look at steering pump but what scenarios should I look out for.

( Currently even when car is moving straight, the whining sound is there if my foot is off the acelerator).

When I turn the car with foot on accelerator, no whining sound.

Edited by Str2

Its best you get a proper mechanic to look at it. We are just guessing here as we have limited information to properly give details.

Neutral Newbie

I guess I'll need to bring it to a few mechanics for their opinions.

Thanks All here for their input...Cheers!

I guess I'll need to bring it to a few mechanics for their opinions.

Thanks All here for their input...Cheers!

yes that is the best option

most probably some belt or alternator issue that generated those sound

I experience such sound just recently. It's the drive belt which runs on the alternator, clutch, compressor and etc. Try to apply some lubricant cum tighten the belt. If sound still occurs...get technician to check it out. Sometimes due to bearing. If you ever changed to lighten pulley....might be a cause too.

For my case...it's the aircon compressor. Got it replaced as it is under warranty. Now sound gone. [:p]

How much damage for the recon alternator?

I used to get it svc and repair for $100. They changed diodes, and bearings, and rectifier.

How much damage for the recon alternator?

I used to get it svc and repair for $100. They changed diodes, and bearings, and rectifier.

$100....sounds ok to me....but is the price consider cheap or ex as in market price?

↡ Advertisement