A reality check about income

Latka

This guy must have just been discharged fm IMH.

Or, a ghost writer fm the PM's office.

Talk about leaving the company, their jobs are ho chia, ho koon, leave for wat?

ST Forum

Mar 26, 2011

THE opposition should think carefully and get a reality check if it plans to use the issue of ministers' salaries to score an election point.

The arguments can go like this: that if one wants to serve the nation, one must be prepared to sacrifice and forgo one's income worth.

If one were to use this line of logic, does it mean we should also not compensate our national servicemen during their in-camp training? After all, they should be prepared to sacrifice for their country and it's only income and not their lives they are sacrificing. This would save lots of taxpayer money.

If this suggestion sounds absurd, then I guess I have made my point. We need to recognise that income is not only meant to deter corruption but also to communicate appreciation and the value of the person in the employer's eyes (the employer in this case being the nation).

Most of us would feel sore and unappreciated if we realise we are not paid market value. We would leave the company. This is human nature. I would expect that someone looking to lead the nation would understand this basic management principle?

Gideon Lee

↡ Advertisement

ST Forum

Mar 26, 2011

THE opposition should think carefully and get a reality check if it plans to use the issue of ministers' salaries to score an election point.

The arguments can go like this: that if one wants to serve the nation, one must be prepared to sacrifice and forgo one's income worth.

If one were to use this line of logic, does it mean we should also not compensate our national servicemen during their in-camp training? After all, they should be prepared to sacrifice for their country and it's only income and not their lives they are sacrificing. This would save lots of taxpayer money.

If this suggestion sounds absurd, then I guess I have made my point. We need to recognise that income is not only meant to deter corruption but also to communicate appreciation and the value of the person in the employer's eyes (the employer in this case being the nation).

Most of us would feel sore and unappreciated if we realise we are not paid market value. We would leave the company. This is human nature. I would expect that someone looking to lead the nation would understand this basic management principle?

Gideon Lee

Gideon Lee is retarted... at his best :D:D

if he's reading this, he'd better come out and defend himself...............

What kind of wrap logic is that? His name should change to "giddy". Really hate when PAP always 强词夺理. Nobody in a right mind is saying - no to FT, no to salary, but we want a reasonable amount. PAP - you time will come if you don't repent. :angry:

Turbocharged

ST Forum

Mar 26, 2011

Gideon Lee

Although I don't have a problem with the ministers getting high pay, but the way this bugger argue that point is totally warp.

Since he used the NSman logic, Now maybe we should peg the pay of NSman to top 10%? Idiot!

top 10%? possible only if you the chief of army

How come such stupid article can be publish in our paper... Luckily i no longer read ST for decade. Waste money to buy such paper to read.

someone paid him to come up with this rubbish?

the writer may also be one of the kakia in miw camp, kenna instructed to write the article? .... or maybe he volunteered to write it to score point

Edited by KARTer

the writer may also be one of the kakia in miw camp, kenna instructed to write the article? .... or maybe he volunteered to write it to score point

miw hv a plenty of puppeteers [gossip]

waiting to take their wrap...

this could be 1 of them.. [rifle]

i think no one is arguing that they should be paid, this is logical given their contribution as leaders and so they should rightly be paid well but the point here is how well is well, how much is enough... to deter corruption, sure, sounds right and fair but if someone is already deterred from corruption if u pay him/her $Z i am not seeing any sense to improve $Z to $Z*1.5 or times 2 or whatever.... just my humble opinion. Industry leaders are paid hi wages to ensure their goal aligns with the company they lead... but i also understand that this monetary payment is made up of mixture of stocks + compensation, so i think perhaps they should be looking into the stock component more than the wages component as motivators to improve the prosperity of a nation. IMHO...

i think no one is arguing that they should be paid, this is logical given their contribution as leaders and so they should rightly be paid well but the point here is how well is well, how much is enough... to deter corruption, sure, sounds right and fair but if someone is already deterred from corruption if u pay him/her $Z i am not seeing any sense to improve $Z to $Z*1.5 or times 2 or whatever.... just my humble opinion. Industry leaders are paid hi wages to ensure their goal aligns with the company they lead... but i also understand that this monetary payment is made up of mixture of stocks + compensation, so i think perhaps they should be looking into the stock component more than the wages component as motivators to improve the prosperity of a nation. IMHO...

yea... I agree.. nobody is saying they shouldn't be paid good wages. All the PAPaya whiners who keep insisting that everybody is asking them to work for free are talking through their behinds. People expect that serving the nation as a politician also comes at a price, especially since they don't seem to be accountable for any errors they make. So, to price themselves at X million dollars, which is totally out of whack with the rest of the world, including all the superpowers combined, is really ridiculous, beyond belief... and, to paraphrase Dark Helmet, ludicrous.

Nobody will deny them a fair wage, but to keep comparing themselves to company CEOs being paid billions is JUST NOT RIGHT. It's a different task altogether, and the companies are being paid by private funds and can be booted out anytime they screw up; but these guys are declaring their own salaries using national coffers without any accountability. If the rest of the country were also doing superlatively well, then these ludicrous salaries may be more justifiable. But with such a huge strata of people struggling to make ends meet - it's just plain wrong to give themselves such high salaries.

yeah ... macam all can become steve jobs

Nobody will deny them a fair wage, but to keep comparing themselves to company CEOs being paid billions is JUST NOT RIGHT.

Edited by Wt_know

Nobody will deny them a fair wage, but to keep comparing themselves to company CEOs being paid billions is JUST NOT RIGHT. It's a different task altogether, and the companies are being paid by private funds and can be booted out anytime they screw up

not to mention due to 'strategic differences' or i see u buay song [:)]

Edited by Avant_stealth
↡ Advertisement