All the election talks.. does it make any difference?

Chrispie

GE is due, and we see a lot of discussions online about the good and bad of various parties. And of course, some of us have already made our choices. The thing is, i feel a majority of the population couldnt care less about politics. They simply vote based on status quo, as in they dont want to rock the boat, or simply get their info from local news media (??!!). They do not attend rallies, and dont bother to find out more about each party, the candidates, what does an overwhelming mandate means to us as a nation etc.

I get the feeling the older generations do not know/feel times has changed. They like to stick to the norm, and still feel the ruling party has done a lot and they are good. I agree that they have done a good job in transforming singapore to what it is today. But past performance cannot be used as a gauge for the future. Nor can it be implied. From the obscene pay packages alone, it cast a lot of doubt on their real intentions. Are they mercenaries? As to what Slyvia Lim has pointed out in her speech on minister's pay, it makes me wonder.

The older generations probably do not visit forums, read online about various views on local politics and have a very one sided view on what is really happening, based on hearsay, TV and papers especially. And with fact that GRC alone is not exactly a fair electoral move for the opposition, i think it will be really tough to have a change to the political climate in singapore. PAP is no doubt a party with good and powerful people who have proved their worth in their previous appointments, but i think public service is a totally different ballgame. Running a country is different from running a company for profits, nor running a division bounded by regiments and laws. We need people with heart.

So all the talks here we have, all the info dug out... does it make a real difference? Cant help but i feel its futile...

But i still hope my vote will count.

↡ Advertisement

GE is due, and we see a lot of discussions online about the good and bad of various parties. And of course, some of us have already made our choices. The thing is, i feel a majority of the population couldnt care less about politics. They simply vote based on status quo, as in they dont want to rock the boat, or simply get their info from local news media (??!!). They do not attend rallies, and dont bother to find out more about each party, the candidates, what does an overwhelming mandate means to us as a nation etc.

I get the feeling the older generations do not know/feel times has changed. They like to stick to the norm, and still feel the ruling party has done a lot and they are good. I agree that they have done a good job in transforming singapore to what it is today. But past performance cannot be used as a gauge for the future. Nor can it be implied. From the obscene pay packages alone, it cast a lot of doubt on their real intentions. Are they mercenaries? As to what Slyvia Lim has pointed out in her speech on minister's pay, it makes me wonder.

The older generations probably do not visit forums, read online about various views on local politics and have a very one sided view on what is really happening, based on hearsay, TV and papers especially. And with fact that GRC alone is not exactly a fair electoral move for the opposition, i think it will be really tough to have a change to the political climate in singapore. PAP is no doubt a party with good and powerful people who have proved their worth in their previous appointments, but i think public service is a totally different ballgame. Running a country is different from running a company for profits, nor running a division bounded by regiments and laws. We need people with heart.

So all the talks here we have, all the info dug out... does it make a real difference? Cant help but i feel its futile...

Older generation won't be around forever you know. The tide will turn one day, just not today.

Turbocharged

I want to see what policy and direction both opposition and government want to roll out after this election.

this is the major point of election. but till date, we have nothing.

I want to see what policy and direction both opposition and government want to roll out after this election.

Why must it be after the elections?

<_<

cant agree more: Running a country is different from running a company for profits, nor running a division bounded by regiments and laws. We need people with heart.

the thing is..

no one really accounts for what the party promised at last election, and do a check on what has been delivered. People have short term memory and PAP knows that. A 'non pre-election' budget ang bao will go a longer way than anything else.

cant agree more: Running a country is different from running a company for profits, nor running a division bounded by regiments and laws. We need people with heart.

Yes!! Couldn't have said it better! [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

the thing is..

no one really accounts for what the party promised at last election, and do a check on what has been delivered. People have short term memory and PAP knows that. A 'non pre-election' budget ang bao will go a longer way than anything else.

that is another matter all together lah...\

but till date, no one mention their intended policy yet.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=3672798

yep, i have also said so earlier. like the past being no guarantee of the future.

but unfortunately human beings, especially older folks are still too scared to go for change.

after a while.. they use fear. Challenge us to put an oppositon and see what happens to our assets etc... women become maid.

Come on, look at LTK and CST. They have very limited resources, but do all they possibly can. They have heart and they showed it. That is why PAP dangled millions of dollars and the residents didnt barge. It is not about the money alone. If we vote an opposition into a GRC, and they did a bad job, they will be out at next GE. Everything is temporary, and Opp has to work hard to show they deserve the votes. Which somehow i believe they will. And when that happens, the ruling party will know their seats arent 100% secure, and they will work harder also. It is a simple law of competition.

I always believe a small emerging company will work a lot harder at a project awarded to it, to gain credibility for its long term business, than a big name as you are only a small fraction of its business, and if they are the monopoly, there is no where you can go and nothing you can do as they have absolute control.

The opp candidates' quality is improving a lot, and im really happy to see that happening

Supercharged

after a while.. they use fear. Challenge us to put an oppositon and see what happens to our assets etc... women become maid.

Come on, look at LTK and CST. They have very limited resources, but do all they possibly can. They have heart and they showed it. That is why PAP dangled millions of dollars and the residents didnt barge. It is not about the money alone. If we vote an opposition into a GRC, and they did a bad job, they will be out at next GE. Everything is temporary, and Opp has to work hard to show they deserve the votes. Which somehow i believe they will. And when that happens, the ruling party will know their seats arent 100% secure, and they will work harder also. It is a simple law of competition.

I always believe a small emerging company will work a lot harder at a project awarded to it, to gain credibility for its long term business, than a big name as you are only a small fraction of its business, and if they are the monopoly, there is no where you can go and nothing you can do as they have absolute control.

The opp candidates' quality is improving a lot, and im really happy to see that happening

definitely! haven't our people realized that our ruling party are charging us premium for their brand like any other profit oriented entity.

example why buy a G2000 shirt vs a Hugo Boss shirt? the former will give you value for money the latter will give you quality underwritten by a high premium price.

now with all our minister pay occupying the top pay brackets of all politicians in the world, aren't we paying huge premium for them?

(edited)

to be fair, lets pay them a good salary.

Even if they take half of what they are paid now, i dont think their lifestyle will be affected AT ALL. With the money saved, cant we use that to help those with real needs, or improve infrastructure?

as a politician, you cant be driving lambo or ferrari's to work. Nor will you flash your AP or Franck.M in parliament. So you need all the millions for what??

Edited by Chrispie

PAP is no doubt a party with good and powerful people who have proved their worth in their previous appointments, but i think public service is a totally different ballgame. Running a country is different from running a company for profits, nor running a division bounded by regiments and laws. We need people with heart.

I agreed to what you have said..but the real problem is ..PAP has grown to be too powerful ( which is why they have been ignoring the real problems) and this is but the work of the previous many generations.

Not that the pervious gen were totally wrong to elect this system and it became this way...but as wise men said..

Men are greedy by nature...to give him more is to court for trouble.

So I'm afraid having come to such state...to effect a change for good...almost the entire system have to be taken down or it's very center be changed.

Some ppl have liken this,to a disease that has gone to such a stage, that to resection this part here and there...the main disease will still be there and will quickly spread again.....unless the body CAN SELF HEAL ON IT'S OWN and not thru the intervention of others!

I afraid ...I have to agreed to the above! [:(]

Even if they take half of what they are paid now, i dont think their lifestyle will be affected AT ALL. With the money saved, cant we use that to help those with real needs, or improve infrastructure?

as a politician, you cant be driving lambo or ferrari's to work. Nor will you flash your AP or Franck.M in parliament. So you need all the millions for what??

For Kate Spade and other designer brands lah!!!!

(edited)

I agreed to what you have said..but the real problem is ..PAP has grown to be too powerful ( which is why they have been ignoring the real problems) and this is but the work of the previous many generations.

Not that the pervious gen were totally wrong to elect this system and it became this way...but as wise men said..

Men are greedy by nature...to give him more is to court for trouble.

So I'm afraid having come to such state...to effect a change for good...almost the entire system have to be taken down or it's very center be changed.

Some ppl have liken this,to a disease that has gone to such a stage, that to resection this part here and there...the main disease will still be there and will quickly spread again.....unless the body CAN SELF HEAL ON IT'S OWN and not thru the intervention of others!

I afraid ...I have to agreed to the above! [:(]

heeeeee... bro,

1. YOu never use 'Sinkie'

2. You never use bigger fonts..

That is a change. hahahaha...

Edited by Chrispie

Supercharged

u see what we think is good salary may not be enough to entice them in or stop them from getting corrupt?

there is a market standnard for everything including ministerial pay, to change the laws to create their own market pay sky high already speaks lowly of their style of management.

To prevent corruption

[knife]

heeeeee... bro,

1. YOu never use 'Sinkie'

2. You never use bigger fonts..

That is a change. hahahaha...

I only use BIG FONTS on those post that I know very well, that person has to be waken up from his views! :D

↡ Advertisement