IS ALFA 159 IS THE SEXIEST CAR??

Panda

how much is the OMV?

market perception is that it is not a practical car to own. most alfa lovers are those who tend to throw practicality issues out of the window anyway..Iam warned not to get one by some pple...but can't help myself to get interested in an alfa.. [laugh]

hi Damienic,

if you are concern about practicality but your heart wooing for one, why not try out a 2nd hand Alfa. Then, you will have most of the answer hands on and it wouldn't hurt your pocket too badly should you not like what you get.

[drivingcar]

problem is getting a 2nd hand 159 is tough, for the moment. plenty of 156 to go ard though

↡ Advertisement

btw, some alfa jokes i came across from car mags, journals etc over the years-

1. Depreciates as fast as it accelerates

2. Supermodel with a rubbish personality

3. Buy first regret later

4. Alfa appeals only to those sentimental about it

5. It's an emotional decision

6. Use your heart, not your head

7. You can't find a resale one, because no one bought a new one in the first place

8. This car is a complete mess.

9. This car is insane, because you must be insane to buy one.

10. My mother has sworn never to buy an Alfa (from this forum!)

any more pls add on. Still wana buy an Alfa?

You left out one very important statement about Alfas:

"No one is ever truly considered a car enthusiast (petrolhead) if he/she has never ever owned an Alfa before.."

if it means anything, this statement was made by JC in top gear and agreed upon by James & Richard...

well... personally based on the driving experience tat an Alfa brings to me (i.e: a person tat belongs to the masses), i would agree with the above statement... if u wanted a car with pedigree/racing heritage, has great looks with an engine tat revs and an engine note akin to music coupled with a fun to drive package, it does not get any cheaper than this.

true, a recent carma mag featured the writer's visit to the Alfa factory. The person in charge said Alfa is the ppl's ferrari, where at least the masses can get their hands on it.

i tink for ppl who can afford bmws, they should at least try to own an alfa once. its the closest thing, not in terms of performance, but in terms of emotion to the prancing horse. besides, u pay less for an alfa. an alfa v6 can be had for 320 kinda price. it'd be a pity to give such an awesome car a miss.

But JC did mention about the pain, anguish and disappointment about owning one tongue.giflaugh.gif

but i remember him always ending the statement with how much he loves the car despite all the crap

159 is still very new and so quite impossible to find a 2nd hand in the mkt now ba...Iam not in a hurry to change car...can wait probably another 1-2yr plus from now, there shld be 2nd hand 159 available in the mkt by then..

Neutral Newbie

There was a 7 month old for sale about 2 months ago i think.

for $107k

Anyone knows how much is a brand new 159 JTS2.2?

I thot bro felipe says brand new is 110k?

I think when it first launched several months ago, shld be more than 120K..if not, dun think they would advertise it for 107k..should there be another 7mth old 159 for sale in another 6 months or so from now on, think the price shouldn't be more than 90k.

liddat oso can?what about this -

"when i bought my first used house on the resale market , I had mentally bought it before I walked in the door. I saw it from outside it felt right, it felt like mine and I wanted it.I could have walked in and there been broken tiles, sewage pipe leaking and I would still have bought it.

I saw my neighbour alfa, I loved it. I drove it, I loved it more. I decided I had to have one one day soon. Someone could have said...."dude, they are unreliable as hell and breakdown all the time.. oh and you will have to change the radiator every few years, and the tyres every few thousand km etc etc etc" and I would STILL have bought it. I just love it. everything worth having requires work and love to keep it. You see , it's the charm it possess !" [flowerface]

bro, same like you. I also have the same thots (owning it one day)..not that our current rides is bad...but the lure is somehow irresistable.. [laugh]

Have always wanted one, but couldn't bring myself to buy one..sweatdrop.gif

tink every man shld own an alfa at least once in his life. wink.gif

then wonder what's all the fuss abt....tongue.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

i dunno, but maybe look at it from such a viewpoint:

NOW based on the current brand image & "issues" that Alfa Romeo has versus brands like BMW, Audi or Merc, people will definitely have the luxury of comparing this & that, complaining & arguing to no end about how expensive etc an alfa is - exactly because the only good things they believe are going for an Alfa are its looks, its effervescent engine, the driving fun & "soul" of the car... (as if that is not enough when you look for a car?) Maybe not in a Singaporean context, why is tat?

i believe it is often not enough simply because of 1 single reason: BRAND...

Alfa now has not much brand value.. no status vs BMW/Merc/AUdi... cheap car mah... unreliable mah. Therefore Lousy, so must get super duper bargains then can consider to buy one..

Obviously When you pay so much to own a car in SIngapore... hopefully one gets either super value for money OR brand & status... they do not really care for the "in-between".

How many of us are not guilty of thinking: For $XX amount of dollars i pay for a brand new Alfa, i might as well get a 2nd hand BMW...?

well it is not wrong to think like that, but if one FEELS like that, then really there is no point in considering to buy an Alfa at all.. dont waste your time.

If you want, wait until such time (hopefully with fingers crossed) in the near future, Alfas will have lost all its bad image it incurred in the late 80s to 90s, and the brand has grown in status & prestige to better even the titan BMW and Mercs.

Alfa definitely has the historic pedigree to challenge BMW & MERC...so by then when an Alfa costs more than a mercedes or a BMW, no one will be complaining.... [rolleyes] [rolleyes] cos when you own an alfa in the near future, you will get not only brand status, but a racing heritage & a true drivers car...

for now, only a select few who knows what they want do indeed realise the value they get when they buy a CHEAP (in every sense of the word) alfa... to those in the know, hopefully it remains "cheap" for many more years to come... because if we wanted brand image or status or super resale value... we would not have thought twice to buy a 2nd BMW or Merc.

No need talk so much about an alfa... just drive it. Dont like? Buy a BMW... or merc or WRX...

[sweatdrop][sly][;)]

For me, I do look at brand but also if its value for money based on the price one is forking out for vs the performance & quality. Brand must not come at too high a cost too. At this moment, I do believe the Alfa 159 presents good value for $$ given the price they are selling(looking at the OMV as well) at vs the quality of this car (the driving pleasure one dervied out of an alfa has to be good given the feedback and accolades received). For a car of such specs and performance, one has to fork out min 30K more for an Audi or BMW. If its just a 10-15K difference, then I may just say, 'maybe let's consider the 320 instead'.

After hearing so much feedback abt the Alfa and the pricing they are currently adopting, it has certainly enticed me to consider this brand at top of my priority list for my next purchase. [:)]

I dunno of anyone in my life yet who drove an alfa so that I could drive it once...so, to do it, either I buy one or I go test drive..I very the scare that if I go test drive, I may at the spur of the moment, decide to buy it on the spot..and I'm not ready yet! [laugh]

[laugh][laugh] let's then hope someone you know happen to have a 159 that can let you have a go in it [inlove] .....but the chances are absolutely remote. [sly]

mai-tu-liao . [lipsrsealed]

↡ Advertisement