Newbie's experience with the 159

Fella

Neutral Newbie

Was browsing thru sgcarmart when I came across a 1.5 yrs old white 159 with a mileage of 27k for sale at 95k. That's when I started noticing the marque cos I tot it looked pretty good, like how a chio bu on the street naturally turn heads. Over the next few days, I found myself going back repeatedly several times a day to take yet another look at the ride.

The temptation was just so great that the missus and I had a serious discussion on whether we should change. So much so that we decided to just pop over to EA on a weekday to get a feel on how the 159 is really like.

The red sedan in the showroom was stunning in the flesh, so much so that even the really attractive SE who approached us was powerless against the beast to invoke the male instinct of naturally being attracted to a being of the opposite sex (urm, maybe partly cos the missus was around? Hehee!).

My hands were itching all over immediately and I was raring to caress and touch her (the car, not the SE). Was invited to try the driver's seat but I did not go straight in. The desire to admire her from head to toe, front to back was irresistible (again the car, NOT the SE).

Sitting in the driver's seat finally was like being transported to paradise. The wheel, the stick, the dash, the positioning of the center console, all seems so perfect. The head is screaming at me to wake up from the dream; the seats are so narrow, the three stalks are plasticky, the cubby holes are small and unusable, the back seats are cramped and not supporting the butt sufficiently, the roof is way too low... but somehow, all these practical bits (including back seats that can't be folded, and a hard to use boot) suddenly seems to be the least important considerations in the world.

Taking the car out for a ride is yet another experience to be savoured. Me being a noob, SE (notice I purposely excluded her name) kindly suggested taking the wheel first so as to demonstrate the Selespeed system to minimise embarrassment from my part. Without much to do except observing the gear changes and listening intently to her explanations, it's hard not to start noticing her slender lower limbs... (geez we are drifting...)

A switch at the bus-stop, some awkward fiddling of the buttons at the side of the driver's seat, a clumsy activation of the screen wipers instead of the signalling stalk, wow, sensitive throttle! Trying to switch to Manual mode on the drive, SE pointed out that I've changed to Neutral instead, oops... the box does get some getting used to. Shift ups mean pushing the stick down, everything seems a mirror image of the conventional. A few jerks during gear changes, some road noise, imaginary naggy complaints of head room and numb legs from in-laws, comparisons to a DSG box and the insulation of a Lexus are unavoidable, but sitting in the driver's seat, being so much involved with the car without worrying about a tired left leg, everything else doesn't seem to matter.

Back in our almost 2.5 yrs old FD2A which we tot we'll be sticking with for double that period of time, we wasted no time contacting the owner of the white serpent. Holy shucks! The ride's been reserved pending loan approval... Calculating the sums, a new ride at current prices will derail our plans of a nest change.

Unless there's a significant pay increase or some luck with SG Pools, we just have to stick to our unengaging but very practical ride for a couple more yrs...

Hope you enjoy reading the account as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

↡ Advertisement

brenda served u?

anyway nice writeup there. there's plenty of 159s around now, u can take ur time to choose.

hope to welcome another alfisti in soon.

from an ex Honda owner. haha

Neutral Newbie

good write up...I used to drive a FD2A too and after 4.5 years of trouble free motoring, I had enough of it and took the plunge... never regret it altho i must say this is not my first alfa... if you like it red, there are actually many many 159 out there..take your time to pick... Good luck hunting! [wave]

i say take the plunge.

I really cannot imagine driving anything else in this price range. It is stunning.. it is emotions provoking.

However, the ride is not exactly comfortable, the car is not exactly reliable, the rear is not exactly spacious, the boot is not exactly big enough for a golf set (i have to take out the driver)...... but im very sure its the car i never ever regret having. Complain like siao when fault happens.. but smile like an idiot when you get the kick as you upshift at 4500 rpm. (but still slower than most cars when light turns green).

I must be stupid or mad.

Neutral Newbie

brenda served u?

anyway nice writeup there. there's plenty of 159s around now, u can take ur time to choose.

hope to welcome another alfisti in soon.

from an ex Honda owner. haha

Take yr time to choose...

Nope, not Brenda. Am actively looking out for a suitable 159 now. In fact, my homepage's been set to sgcarmart. :D

Neutral Newbie

good write up...I used to drive a FD2A too and after 4.5 years of trouble free motoring, I had enough of it and took the plunge... never regret it altho i must say this is not my first alfa... if you like it red, there are actually many many 159 out there..take your time to pick... Good luck hunting! [wave]

Bro, I noticed you got your 159 just a couple of months ago? Saw your posting in AROC. [;)]

Anyway, I'm thinking the lack of usable space takes some getting used to? It'll be nice too if ARs come with digital speedo and closing wiper sweep like the FD. By the way, how many colours does the 159 comes with? Red, white, black and gray?

since this a newbie thread to 159, URL is a buyer's guide for 159

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_159_guide.shtml

Thank you!

Neutral Newbie

i say take the plunge.

I really cannot imagine driving anything else in this price range. It is stunning.. it is emotions provoking.

However, the ride is not exactly comfortable, the car is not exactly reliable, the rear is not exactly spacious, the boot is not exactly big enough for a golf set (i have to take out the driver)...... but im very sure its the car i never ever regret having. Complain like siao when fault happens.. but smile like an idiot when you get the kick as you upshift at 4500 rpm. (but still slower than most cars when light turns green).

I must be stupid or mad.

Agree it's stunning. I find myself actively searching for Alfas whenever I'm on the road on inside the MSCP. In fact, managed to spot a white FL version at 306 Anchorvale (any bros here?) last evening and was over the roof my missus tot I had gone mad...

Neutral Newbie

Bro, I noticed you got your 159 just a couple of months ago? Saw your posting in AROC. [;)]

Anyway, I'm thinking the lack of usable space takes some getting used to? It'll be nice too if ARs come with digital speedo and closing wiper sweep like the FD. By the way, how many colours does the 159 comes with? Red, white, black and gray?

Thank you!

Yes, you are rite! My friend first bought a 147 in Dec 2010 and I was very surprised that he took the plunge before me.. Then I started my hunt for a 156 since it makes economical sense to buy yet I dun lose out too much on my FD2A. Somehow it was quite difficult to find a 156 at the beginning of 2011 so I ended up buying a 159 but I have no regret at all... Also, I sold my FD2A at breakeven price so it was a bonus too (due to the increasing COE)...

I have been driving my 159 for close to 2 months now, enjoying it every moment... Even my 2-year-old daughter is telling everyone "papa's new car is very nice" [laugh] My wife finally gathered enough courage and drove the 159 on 27 March 2011 [:p] she likes it and she said it was much heavier as it works like a machine. I was surprised that she never even complain about the selespeed and there was little jerkiness when she drove. Maybe with a bit of gentleness, the selespeed behave gently too [:p]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Wow, that was really a very well written article. I really enjoyed reading it.

I myself have a Honda TA200, have had it since 2005, but hardly use it except during the weekends, when i want to feel the wind...

Nice to see how passionate we all get when we get into our Alfas.

Enjoy the ride, buddy...

Edited by Boxman

Turbocharged

i say take the plunge.

I must be stupid or mad.

Buying and owning an Alfa is purely about passion.. everything else can simply throw out of the window.. My Hd Log during NS time is a big Alfa fan.. He owned 2 Alfas(at the same time), a standard 159 and the 3.2L Sportswagon.. and GAWD, they both LOOKED PRETTY!!!!

I couldnt put it any sweeter...funny how it has been, after reading ur article, I went thru the same when I testdrove the Alfa Sprint years back and eventually owned one - my first. It was a real nightmare, trust me! Swore to stay away from this serpent-mobile...and 20yrs later todate, I'm driving my beautiful, always-serenating-my-ears-159.... my 7th Alfa Romeo thru out those times....

I wish you will get the chance to own a car that you fancy, the car that u have learnt to like and love and a car, possibly the only car, that leaves u having sleepless nites... [laugh] ..I wish you will get to dive into the Serpent's Pit one fine, dandy day! [grouphug]

Buying and owning an Alfa is purely about passion.. everything else can simply throw out of the window.. My Hd Log during NS time is a big Alfa fan.. He owned 2 Alfas(at the same time), a standard 159 and the 3.2L Sportswagon.. and GAWD, they both LOOKED PRETTY!!!!

a 2.2 159 and a 3.2 159 Wagon?!! wow.. he is one alfa siao.