PAP not out of touch: Foreign Min. George Yeo

Latka

Which planet has he been residing in?

Yahoo! News

Foreign Minister George Yeo has rejected claims the ruling People's Action Party is out of touch as "completely untrue".

Speaking to Yahoo! Singapore in a frank and honest one-on-one interview, the 56-year-old Minister said, "I know what I do as an MP and what my colleagues do. We spend a lot of time just working with ordinary people... We can't solve all problems but we do what we can."

He added, "So I would say we are more in touch than those who criticise us for being out of touch."

Even as the Singapore economy shot out of the blocks from the 2008 financial crisis to a record 15% growth in 2010, concerns about the rising cost of living, competition with foreign workers and housing issues have dominated discussions both online and in coffee shops around Singapore.

The year 2010 was also dominated by headlines surrounding the escape of Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) terror leader Mas Selamat and recurring flash floods around several areas of Singapore.

Asked about what kind of report card he would give the PAP for its performance over the last few years, Minister Yeo said it was not fair for him to assess he and his own PAP colleagues.

"It's hard, I mean here you are putting me in a position of a student and I cannot be writing a report card on myself. But if you take a step back, and compare Singapore to other countries... in every country, what sets their success or failure in the end is politics," he said.

But the Member of Parliament for Aljunied GRC encouraged voters to look at the big picture ahead of the impending General Election.

"If you are to rank countries, Singapore comes right near the top. And people marvel, you have nothing, just a little speck of land, but out of it, just harnessing the ability, the energy of individuals we are able to accomplish so much," he said.

During the hour-long interview at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs headquarters in Tanglin, he also addressed those who were frequently critical of the PAP.

"Even those who are anti-PAP, who are critical, when they travel they feel so proud of being Singaporeans... When they come home, the moment they get the SIA boarding pass, there's a flutter in their hearts...yes, I'm on my way home."

For more on Minister Yeo's interview with Yahoo! Singapore, listen here.

In the next part of our interview with the Minister, he talks about social media and the effect it will have on the Election.

↡ Advertisement

Asked about what kind of report card he would give the PAP for its performance over the last few years, Minister Yeo said it was not fair for him to assess he and his own PAP colleagues.

"It's hard, I mean here you are putting me in a position of a student and I cannot be writing a report card on myself. But if you take a step back, and compare Singapore to other countries... in every country, what sets their success or failure in the end is politics," he said.

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Cannot access themselves but can give themselves astronomical pay increases. So just blindly give pay increase without asssessing they actually deserve it. This guy is as good a joker as woody.

(edited)

The fact that they are defending this proves it

If you are to rank countries, Singapore comes right near the top.

I DON'T GIVE A FLYING fU(k ABOUT RANKING!!!

When they come home, the moment they get the SIA boarding pass, there's a flutter in their hearts

KNNBCCB i never even fly SIA before lor, the only flutter i'll have it i got an SIA boarding pass is the flutter in my wallet when i open it up and all the butterflies fly out

Edited by Mockngbrd

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Cannot access themselves but can give themselves astronomical pay increases. So just blindly give pay increase without asssessing they actually deserve it. This guy is as good a joker as woody.

Bro, I stop believing Santa Claus a long long time ago...

seriously the more these ppl open their mouth the more angry i get... shd just STFU

Own goals let them score more lo...

i believe they should stop harping on past achievements.... they got SIA to the top tier.... but thats about it..

but in recent yrs... they did not do much.. maybe except the F1...

Turbocharged
(edited)

they are the untouchable or you can't touch this. Paiseh can't help but be reminded of these 2 classics.

Edited by Christan

Turbocharged

"Even those who are anti-PAP, who are critical, when they travel they feel so proud of being Singaporeans... When they come home, the moment they get the SIA boarding pass, there's a flutter in their hearts...yes, I'm on my way home."

Singapore is Singapore, PAP is PAP lah, aiyo [shakehead]

Yahoo! News

this not out of touch? hehe...jus how many closet "quitters" does he know? at the airport, only the newly minted citizens fling their red passports in everyone's face. dun ask me how but i jus could tell apart an india indian or a china chinese. filipinos i can hear them a mile away. [laugh] compare germany, most obvious case, the immigrants will happily show their german passports, but are the local born germans still happy? i guess not.

Yahoo! News

Foreign Minister George Yeo has rejected claims the ruling People's Action Party is out of touch as "completely untrue".

Speaking to Yahoo! Singapore in a frank and honest one-on-one interview, the 56-year-old Minister said, "I know what I do as an MP and what my colleagues do. We spend a lot of time just working with ordinary people... We can't solve all problems but we do what we can."

He added, "So I would say we are more in touch than those who criticise us for being out of touch."

Even as the Singapore economy shot out of the blocks from the 2008 financial crisis to a record 15% growth in 2010, concerns about the rising cost of living, competition with foreign workers and housing issues have dominated discussions both online and in coffee shops around Singapore.

The year 2010 was also dominated by headlines surrounding the escape of Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) terror leader Mas Selamat and recurring flash floods around several areas of Singapore.

But the Member of Parliament for Aljunied GRC encouraged voters to look at the big picture ahead of the impending General Election.

"If you are to rank countries, Singapore comes right near the top. And people marvel, you have nothing, just a little speck of land, but out of it, just harnessing the ability, the energy of individuals we are able to accomplish so much," he said.

During the hour-long interview at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs headquarters in Tanglin, he also addressed those who were frequently critical of the PAP.

For more on Minister Yeo's interview with Yahoo! Singapore, listen here.

In the next part of our interview with the Minister, he talks about social media and the effect it will have on the Election.

No mention out of touch on what subject(s). Perhaps really totally out of touch and no idea whats it all about this time

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Withdraw our support for him since he seems to think we are jokers?

Turbocharged

my govt uses statistics to their own advantages... the key to playing with numbers, that y they need scholars to come out with many different hypothesis

Growth of > 15% after 2008? Y not compare with 2006/7 or simply include in the data from these years? The statistics will tell u they have achieve nothing significant. Now they will use this 15% growth to increase their salary...

How do millionaires connect with the ground level? Do they stay in HDB? Do they take buses and MRT?

afterwhich somewhat can claim: other country citizens are so strong, we sinkieporeans always go to govt to solve big n small prob

If we can solve the prob, we wun need to approach u.. but ur policies stop us from solving the problems.

We tell u mrt crowded, u go take mrt with ur grassroots, mrt staff clear the cabins, have bodyguards protect, n u tell us we have a world class system.

we tell u hdb unaffordable, u think with an annual salary of millions, what is 500k for flat...

now u tell us u r connected to the ground level?

Clap Clap!

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

The fact that they are defending this proves it

If you are to rank countries, Singapore comes right near the top.

I DON'T GIVE A FLYING fU(k ABOUT RANKING!!!

When they come home, the moment they get the SIA boarding pass, there's a flutter in their hearts

KNNBCCB i never even fly SIA before lor, the only flutter i'll have it i got an SIA boarding pass is the flutter in my wallet when i open it up and all the butterflies fly out

Wait. I just want to clarify something. U never fly SIA before, means you take other airlines? Because your blog shows photos of Japan? Oh wait. New Zealand too.

Edited by L3arning

Singapore is Singapore, PAP is PAP lah, aiyo [shakehead]

Yea, its one thing to love your country, another to love your govt

↡ Advertisement