2012 Subaru Impreza

SeriousGuy

Impreza are offered with base model and the rally turbo charged model. The real deal is the world acclaimed and rally proven WRX which needs no introduction.

The best Subaru Impreza WRX models were those that were registered in 2008 or earlier. The last batch of raw power rally performance WRX was replaced after the mid 2008. One can recognize the WRX models in sedan form with a boot. After that, Subaru decided to build tone down version of the WRX with less raw power output offered in the form of the manual hatchback model with a 2.5 litre higher road tax engine block.

At the time of the 2.5 litre manual WRX introduction, there was a 2.0 litre auto WRX introduced by Motorimage. What many people do not realize is this 2.0 litre auto version is the higher specs JDM model that has more power than the local 2.5 litre version in its stock form. JDM model comes with more power and more equipment list. Read more here.

The pure exhilaration of raw power of the turbo kick in and pick up of earlier WRX is different from later models. Many of these 2008 or earlier WRX models are still available inside sgcarmart or stcars.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

At the time of the 2.5 litre manual WRX introduction, there was a 2.0 litre auto WRX introduced by Motorimage. What many people do not realize is this 2.0 litre auto version is the higher specs JDM model that has more power than the local 2.5 litre version in its stock form. JDM model comes with more power and more equipment list. Read more here.

Yes, the auto WRX had around 250ps, higher than the manual WRX at 227ps. But it had a really crappy 4-speed auto slushbox. The poor gearing meant the car was not economical at highway speeds. The fact that it's auto meant it's also not possible to get a good launch from a standstill, pretty much the only strength of AWD when it comes to drag racing. So you get none of the performance benefits of AWD (except for good grip in poor weather) and you still get penalised for the weight of the AWD *and* the greater weight of a slushbox. Even with 250ps, the car was no faster (and possibly even slower) than a manual WRX.

Worst of all, slushboxes are less robust to power mods.

• Praise 1

Yes, the auto WRX had around 250ps, higher than the manual WRX at 227ps. But it had a really crappy 4-speed auto slushbox. The poor gearing meant the car was not economical at highway speeds. The fact that it's auto meant it's also not possible to get a good launch from a standstill, pretty much the only strength of AWD when it comes to drag racing. So you get none of the performance benefits of AWD (except for good grip in poor weather) and you still get penalised for the weight of the AWD *and* the greater weight of a slushbox. Even with 250ps, the car was no faster (and possibly even slower) than a manual WRX.

Worst of all, slushboxes are less robust to power mods.

Bro, when you were still driving Rexes, did you always lose from a standstill? (Not sure if both that you drove was the manual or auto versions though).

As for me, so far on my autorex (without using the manual shifter) I haven't really lost to anyone from standstill except for higher tier performance cars with less weight. Ofc, towards the higher speeds I will eventually be left in the dust haha.

• Praise 1

Driving it 3 weeks le .. compare to my Sunny ( 7 yrs ) 2012 Impreza better in petrol, comfort, love the bluetooth, spacious , booth abit smaller but still ok & my kids love it very much haha. Go MI showroom take a look.. look for Winston his service very good.

Hi there, how are you?

Are you still driving the Impreza?

If it is, perhaps mind to share with us after your 30months or ownership? appreciate that :)

• Praise 1

362727_4b.jpg

This is the 2008 hatchback impreza . Can i ask what is the lever beside the handbrake for? The one with silver thing on top.

That's the high/low range for the AWD aval in the 1.5i. Low range for use in snow/muddy condition for better traction. In Singapore, this feature is redundant. Usually in high range for local road condition.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6