Temasek Review bye bye

RadX

Well, we know that he hard truth cannot be swallowed.....

Temasek Review to shut down after July

By Ng Jing Yng | Posted: 07 April 2011 1909 hrs

phpQE1Hha.jpg Photos1 of 1dotline_240.gif

A screenshot of the Temasek Review website.

SINGAPORE: Socio-political website Temasek Review (TR), which has often positioned itself as critical of government, will be shutting down after July.

In a reply to Channel NewsAsia queries on Thursday, a TR spokesperson confirmed that no agency has asked it to shut down but added: "We would be lying if we say there's been no pressure from the Government."

The spokesperson, however, said that the effect of the pressure was minimal as the TR team is based overseas.

Last year, Singapore's investment company Temasek Holdings, asked the website to change its name, saying TR was trying to capitalise on its goodwill and reputation linked to the their annual report named "Temasek Review".

The closing down of TR was first reported on Yahoo! Singapore on Thursday.

TR editor Amanda Tan said that uncertainty over funding was the reason for shutting the site down.

There was no external pressure and negative press on one of TR's past contributors, Dr Joseph Ong, did not influence their decision, she said.

But the TR spokesperson however, said there was indirect pressure arising from mainstream media reports which "were aimed to shut us down".

TR's growth was also stymied by its limited pool of contributors, the TR spokesperson told Channel NewsAsia.

Despite its growing popularity, potential contributors stayed away because they were afraid of being associated with TR. This "fear factor bordering on paranoia did not help TR", he said.

The website started seven years ago and garnered a strong following over the years, reaching 1.04 million visitors in just Singapore alone.

TR's impending closure comes in the wake of socio-political blog The Online Citizen (TOC) becoming the first blog here to be gazetted as a political association in January. This means it cannot accept foreign donations.

Singapore Management University assistant professor Michael Netzley, who has research interests in digital media, said that the question of governmental pressure would inevitably come up among the blogosphere. But these sites might then respond to come up with more balanced and thoughtful articles to enhance their reputation, he said.

Political observer Azhar Ghani, however, believes TR's closure will not affect bloggers. Other sites will soon emerge to replace TR, he said.

Political blogger Siew Kum Hong, who is one of the four persons responsible for TOC's compliance as a gazetted site, said: "I always back the principle of having more speech than less, and hence it is a pity to see TR shut down."

But sustaining a site is very time-consuming, he said.

TR has been funded by donations and advertising revenues, but there have been occasions when its team had to pay costs out of their own pockets, the TR spokesperson said.

Netizen Quah Chin Chin, 25, said that while TR offers a one-sided view of issues at times, it still provides an alternative voice to the mainstream media.

Readers would feel its loss, she said.

-CNA/ac

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

so at the end of everything, its because they cannot make money liao iszi??

i think maintaince one site dont need more than S$200 a year.

you only need to have a lot of time.

I suspect otherwise...

Rmb the case where two temaseks are involve?

[lipsrsealed]

Turbocharged

I suspect otherwise...

Rmb the case where two temaseks are involve?

[lipsrsealed]

last i remember, TR already being bought by a rich women liao.

so technically it doesnt belong to them anymore.

last i remember, TR already being bought by a rich women liao.

so technically it doesnt belong to them anymore.

No la..

I mean the TH wants TR's name remove?

[confused]

I think you suit leh.

you always like very the eng :D

Turbocharged

I think you suit leh.

you always like very the eng :D

no i am not eng.

i am efficent worker.

i squeeze what little spare time i have to come here one.

i work base on time system, even finish job, rest 5 min.

10 min if i did a very good job :D

you talking about registering domain name only lah.. if want to host in data centre and pay for band width is more costly..

Turbocharged

you talking about registering domain name only lah.. if want to host in data centre and pay for band width is more costly..

ah,.. i see.

so how much were the cost?? heard got some free one, but upon reaching certain data, the price bandwidth will be limited.

Close 1 down, another website will open.

This is the power of the internet !!!

New webby name: New Temasek Review

↡ Advertisement