Is This A Important Consideration....

Benni09

Hi Bros here,

Juz did my wheel rotation this morning...

When checking balancing of wheels, my mechanic told me 1 of the wheels abit warp.

Ask my mechanic for any cheap rims lobang, but he told me my original rims offset very ulu, he dun have suitable types on hand..

So Bros, is offset (ET) a impt consideration when changing rims?

If im not wrong, my original rims offset is 15mm, can i still use 1 which is ET 30+???

Sorry for the Noob qns, i'm a newbie in this field...

↡ Advertisement

Reputation wise, its juz a shop located near my hse...

Open for more then a yr only...

But had change my 2nd hand tyres, my dad's 1st hand tyres n batteries there.

Not here to promote the shop, juz wanna know if ET is important factor when changing rims, if new rims offset differs, can it be used?

No mention what type of wheels you got.

No mention if the Mechanic explained how he concluded one wheel a little warped

Can retain that wheel as spare?

Can locate that wheel as one of the rear wheels?

1)No mention what type of wheels you got.

2)No mention if the Mechanic explained how he concluded one wheel a little warped

3)Can retain that wheel as spare?

4)Can locate that wheel as one of the rear wheels?

1) its a set of original rims (perhaps so call sports rims, 14", PCD 4x100)

2) I told him there's slight veering & vibration (when goin above 80km/h). (i did kana some potholes on my JB trip few weeks ago).

He did balancing with the wheels n some stuff while i was sitting at a side enjoying d free drink.

Then he concluded that the wheel is abit warp.

3) Not planning to keep it as a spare. My spare wheel is visually different so if swop with spare wheel, looks abit funny.

4) For a peace of mind, planning to change whole set of rims. But encounter problem with compatible ET.

Hi Bros here,

Juz did my wheel rotation this morning...

When checking balancing of wheels, my mechanic told me 1 of the wheels abit warp.

Ask my mechanic for any cheap rims lobang, but he told me my original rims offset very ulu, he dun have suitable types on hand..

If im not wrong, my original rims offset is 15mm, can i still use 1 which is ET 30+???

Possible scenario for wrong offset:

1) Wheel will be rubbing with wheel arc when turning (normally happen when u upsize and wrong offset)

2) May not able to clear the brake

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I would suggest going to another workshop to get a second opinion. If both concludes that the rim is warped then the first one should be correct and you can proceed for changes.

Tried asking ard? For a start can go tyrerack.com to see if there's any rubbers in your preferred sizing. Then once you know what tyres you want armed with the particular brand and make together with an approximate size can try calling different shops see if they stock them. And you said that these rims are original rims. Why not go to a forum specific to your car model and see within what rims & tyres they using.

Yes, it is important. getting the wrong offset (too big an offset from stock) would mean anything from the tyres rubbing the tyre well when under load, turning etc to the rims and tyres protruding too much from the car's side and looking way too weird (too small offset from stock).

An example would be my stock rims, 225/40/18 X 7.5J +60. If I increase the amt it protrudes out by using X 8.)J +43, the look would be that the rims are flushed against the side and appear quite pretty. However, do note that the offset must be considered together with the rims' width. Cuz an increased width would also mean the offset cannot get too small (protrudes out more) as the width of the rim is also taking up space.

Offset is the greater the number, the more it is sunken within the tyre well. Smaller number the more it protrudes out. So I dun think you shd be getting 30 (i.e., rims sink in more) unless:

1) You are incresing the rim width from XXJ to XXJ +1.0/1.5J to compensate for the offset

2) You are getting new rims that flares out from the centre hub to the outer edge.

What's there to be sorry about? We all learn stuff and how better to learn than asking?

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

As well as this site for some casual readup

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Lastly, if unsure, patronize a shop that will help you fit on a rim let you physically see how it appears on your car before buying. A shop that does not put in the effort to get your business is not even worth going in the first place. Hope I helped.

Edited by Melvyn

I would suggest going to another workshop to get a second opinion. If both concludes that the rim is warped then the first one should be correct and you can proceed for changes.

Tried asking ard? For a start can go tyrerack.com to see if there's any rubbers in your preferred sizing. Then once you know what tyres you want armed with the particular brand and make together with an approximate size can try calling different shops see if they stock them. And you said that these rims are original rims. Why not go to a forum specific to your car model and see within what rims & tyres they using.

Yes, it is important. getting the wrong offset (too big an offset from stock) would mean anything from the tyres rubbing the tyre well when under load, turning etc to the rims and tyres protruding too much from the car's side and looking way too weird (too small offset from stock).

An example would be my stock rims, 225/40/18 X 7.5J +60. If I increase the amt it protrudes out by using X 8.)J +43, the look would be that the rims are flushed against the side and appear quite pretty. However, do note that the offset must be considered together with the rims' width. Cuz an increased width would also mean the offset cannot get too small (protrudes out more) as the width of the rim is also taking up space.

Offset is the greater the number, the more it is sunken within the tyre well. Smaller number the more it protrudes out. So I dun think you shd be getting 30 (i.e., rims sink in more) unless:

1) You are incresing the rim width from XXJ to XXJ +1.0/1.5J to compensate for the offset

2) You are getting new rims that flares out from the centre hub to the outer edge.

What's there to be sorry about? We all learn stuff and how better to learn than asking?

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

As well as this site for some casual readup

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Lastly, if unsure, patronize a shop that will help you fit on a rim let you physically see how it appears on your car before buying. A shop that does not put in the effort to get your business is not even worth going in the first place. Hope I helped.

Hi Bro,

Thanks a million for d comprehensive reply.

Appreciate your advice!

ET of 15 seems rather extreme. I don't think that many rims with such offset. Do double check your car handbook. Most rims are in the range from 20s to 40s. Whats your car model ?

Neutral Newbie

ET of 15 seems rather extreme. I don't think that many rims with such offset. Do double check your car handbook. Most rims are in the range from 20s to 40s. Whats your car model ?

Read thru the thread again. Post #10 holds your answer. After you google it.... Yes, there's such a car make and model ^_^

Read thru the thread again. Post #10 holds your answer. After you google it.... Yes, there's such a car make and model ^_^

Yeah, Google's a powerful tool...

Bro,

When i bought the car from the previous owner, the bugger had already lost the handbook while shifting house.

How i got the offset figures is from online suppliers selling the same original rims, with 15mm offset indicated in the spec.

This sort of tally with wat the mechanic told me then...

Hope this clears the air...

↡ Advertisement