Drive shaft rubber boot/cover

Tigershark1976

just realised that my driveshaft rubber boot was broken and will get the boot to be replace this weekend. need some advise from the members who experience such work before. do you see the mech remove the old grease and clean the joint before putting new grease? how did they clean the old grease? using karosene/diesel?

I remember when i replace the driveshaft boot cover for my elantra last time, the workshop simply try to utilise back the old grease and add some red grease into the rubber boot which i dont think its advisable....

any advise?

↡ Advertisement

Bumping this cold post.

Anyone knows of any workshop willing to replace just the CV joints rubber boots? Mine are starting to crack and a bit of grease leaking. I checked with a few workshops and only one was willing to do the job. The rest all pushed to change whole set of recond driveshafts. Why should i pay more when there's nothing wrong with my driveshafts and I won't know the quality of the driveshafts that they install for me.

3 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Bumping this cold post.

Anyone knows of any workshop willing to replace just the CV joints rubber boots? Mine are starting to crack and a bit of grease leaking. I checked with a few workshops and only one was willing to do the job. The rest all pushed to change whole set of recond driveshafts. Why should i pay more when there's nothing wrong with my driveshafts and I won't know the quality of the driveshafts that they install for me.

depending its the outside joint or the inside joint.

if normal jap or korean cars. outside joint replace the cover is quite easy, esp if they have the rubber boot stretcher . inside joint need remove whole shaft, even if they willing to do, after they quote u , u also feel not worth the money .

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Bumping this cold post.

I just did mine with my regular WS when I serviced my car. PM you. 

• Praise 2

How old are your current driveshafts? The problem with cracked boots is that you may think the shafts are still good, but in reality some dirt or grit could've already gone in and have accelerated the wear-out process. 

The workshops here have their reasons to provide only driveshaft changes instead of replacing the boots for you only - because you may return very shortly coz the shafts are shot. 

I replaced the boot covers on my when I did a suspension job, and shortly a year later the shafts themselves needed replacement. 

If I had replaced the shafts back then together with the suspension, I probably could've saved on the vehicle downtime (2 days) and a few hundred on the labor cost... 

• Praise 1

On 10/17/2022 at 2:32 PM, Beehive3783 said:

Bumping this cold post.

Have you tried Elite Driveshaft?

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Have you tried Elite Driveshaft?

Yes, I chanced upon them when googling. Called to check prices to change rubber boots, quoted price reasonable so I went down.

To play safe, I told them to check my existing CV joints to make sure condition was good before they changed the covers. They checked and found the joints already have some play on the outer CV joint metal cover (when you twist the outer cover like opening a bottle cap, it should be tight with no play), so the joints themselves won't last much longer even if I just change the boot covers that were only just starting to crack. To prove their point, I tried twisting the CV joint covers of my old drive shaft and their recond drive shaft for myself and they were right.

Asked them about the prices for recond driveshafts. After a few minutes of deliberating, I bit the bullet and changed to one set of their recond drive shafts with new CV joints. Their new CV joints are from Taiwan (what they claim) and the shafts are genuine refurbished Toyota parts.

Also changed the pair of driveshaft oil seals that connect to the gearbox since one of them was already leaking ATF.

Total damage $360 (recond drive shafts) + $50 (one pair of drive shaft oil seals) before discount, nett. Take note the price may vary depending on your car model. Warranty 6 months for private cars. Not sure about warranty for PHVs.

Before this, I checked with another shop also dealing with recond drive shafts. But they don't do installation and throw the job to their partner workshop. Contacted their partner workshop about the boot covers and he was only interested in pushing their recond shafts, even when I hinted that I want them to check my old CV joints first and only replace the boot covers if the CV joints still good. That turned me off completely.

If they had offered me the same level of service (looking at cheapest solution first) and response as Elite, my business might have gone to them instead. 

Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with Elite's service level.

So, there. :D 

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 8

16 hours ago, Comage said:

How old are your current driveshafts? The problem with cracked boots is that you may think the shafts are still good, but in reality some dirt or grit could've already gone in and have accelerated the wear-out process. 

The workshops here have their reasons to provide only driveshaft changes instead of replacing the boots for you only - because you may return very shortly coz the shafts are shot. 

I replaced the boot covers on my when I did a suspension job, and shortly a year later the shafts themselves needed replacement. 

If I had replaced the shafts back then together with the suspension, I probably could've saved on the vehicle downtime (2 days) and a few hundred on the labor cost... 

Yes, i understand your point completely. But when a workshop doesn't explain in detail to me and only interested in pushing their recond drive shaft sales, that only irks me. :D 

Elite's mechanics explained the whole situation to me in detail and even showed me the difference between a shot CV joint and a newly installed CV joint, that's what won me over.

• Praise 3

22 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Yes, I chanced upon them when googling. Called to check prices to change rubber boots, quoted price reasonable so I went down.

To play safe, I told them to check my existing CV joints to make sure condition was good before they changed the covers. They checked and found the joints already have some play on the outer CV joint metal cover (when you twist the outer cover like opening a bottle cap, it should be tight with no play), so the joints themselves won't last much longer even if I just change the boot covers that were only just starting to crack. To prove their point, I tried twisting the CV joint covers of my old drive shaft and their recond drive shaft for myself and they were right.

Asked them about the prices for recond driveshafts. After a few minutes of deliberating, I bit the bullet and changed to one set of their recond drive shafts with new CV joints. Their new CV joints are from Taiwan (what they claim) and the shafts are genuine refurbished Toyota parts.

Also changed the pair of driveshaft oil seals that connect to the gearbox since one of them was already leaking ATF.

Total damage $360 (recond drive shafts) + $50 (one pair of drive shaft oil seals) before discount, nett. Take note the price may vary depending on your car model. Warranty 6 months for private cars. Not sure about warranty for PHVs.

Before this, I checked with another shop also dealing with recond drive shafts. But they don't do installation and throw the job to their partner workshop. Contacted their partner workshop about the boot covers and he was only interested in pushing their recond shafts, even when I hinted that I want them to check my old CV joints first and only replace the boot covers if the CV joints still good. That turned me off completely.

If they had offered me the same level of service (looking at cheapest solution first) and response as Elite, my business might have gone to them instead. 

Lengthy info, thanks. 😁

I had good experience from there too, boss is a nice guy too.

From time to time, I will bend down with a torchlight to see if the boot covers are torn and if there are leaks. Turn the front wheels also can see.

And go replace before it got worse. 

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Lengthy info, thanks. 😁

Yes, boss is a nice guy and very young. Understand that he took over from his father in this trade.

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Lengthy info, thanks. 😁

From time to time, I will bend down with a torchlight to see if the boot covers are torn and if there are leaks. Turn the front wheels also can see.

And go replace before it got worse. 

I usually check every servicing when the workshop hoists up my car :D 

• Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Yes, boss is a nice guy and very young. Understand that he took over from his father in this trade.

Yes young chap and very busy! 😁

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Yes honest shop, went there 5 years ago to replace my drive shaft. No hard selling. 

• Praise 2

If I sold a used car and drive shaft and CV joint need to change I think I kenna left right and centre already.

But if you bought a new car and ran from day 1 then you know these are wear and tear items.

And need to replace yourself.

You will not scold yourself as bought a lemon from an evil dishonest used car dealer right?

:D

Heng I never sold car and need to overhaul gearbox.

I think I will be the most famous used car dealer in MCF as the crooked used car dealer! 

• Haha! 1

Lucky it wasn't me that sold @Beehive3783 his car.

Change his drive shaft and CV joint and autobox need autohaul.

:D

If you bought from my competitor please shout loud loud who he was.

Or if new car you had since day 1 can share how old and what model?

I buy one for my MIL. 

• Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Yes, i understand your point completely. But when a workshop doesn't explain in detail to me and only interested in pushing their recond drive shaft sales, that only irks me. :D 

Elite's mechanics explained the whole situation to me in detail and even showed me the difference between a shot CV joint and a newly installed CV joint, that's what won me over.

Been using elite for over close to 18years. I think they are the only shop who can dismantle and replace cv joints. All other workshops replace whole driveshafts and send to the 2-3 shops around the island for replacement of cv joint. The refurb places do not do replacements. 
elite also remove and rebuild rack. . Others just replace. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

15 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Been using elite for over close to 18years. I think they are the only shop who can dismantle and replace cv joints. All other workshops replace whole driveshafts and send to the 2-3 shops around the island for replacement of cv joint. The refurb places do not do replacements. 
elite also remove and rebuild rack. . Others just replace. 

Cos they are 1 of the bigger supplier of drive shaft to normal WS in sg😁.

They do walkin for owner also, but their main income is supply and fix for WS.

• Praise 2

Just want to say, go to specialized workshop for repairs.

Don’t go to a general workshop, most of the time they will do a shitty job or outsource to specialized workshop. 🤣

For aircon, go to aircon workshop.

For gearbox, go to gearbox workshop.

For drive shaft, go to drive shaft workshop like Elite.

For alternator or starter, any recommendation? 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2