The Whiskey Thread

Parkingidiot

What's your favourite Whiskey brand(s)?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Whiskey(s) (includes single malts, bourbon, blended, etc)

• Glenfiddich
    • Macallan
    • Glenlivet
    • Highland Park
    • Ballantines
    • Cutty Sark
    • Johnnie Walker
    • Chivas
    • Jim Beam
    • Gentleman Jack
    • Jack Daniels
    • Others
  2. 2. Other Drinks (everything else)

• Beer
    • Tequila
    • Rum
    • Vodka
    • Red Wine
    • White Wine
    • Champagne
    • Cocktails
    • Soft Drinks
    • Water
    • Others

Seconded.

If the distillers intended for whiskey to be mixed with anything else, they would have done it at the distillery. Its meant to be drunk, full strength, all 40+% of it :D

only half true. Many connosieurs drip a few drops of water in whisky to help the bouquet open.

↡ Advertisement

It depends on which magazine and which organization. Whisky is a drink, it really depends on individual tastes. There is no such thing as a best whisky, It is what you like best that matters.

FYI, Yamazaki although called single malt, is actually mixed, but in 1 distillery. Thus technically they call themselves single malts. It is the same for Hakushu. However, Hakushu uses much better water in Japan, the distillery sits where the "purest" water is.

A Yamazaki/Hakushu because of it's blend is actually closer to something like the Johnnie's or Royal Salute than a pure single malt like Maccallan, Glenlivert or Ardbeg.

While it is true that they aren't actually a 'single' malt, they can't be termed as 'blended' whisky either. Johnnie/Chivas are called blended scotches because part of the blend consists of whiskies made from grains other than barley.

In truth, Yamazaki should be term a "Vatted" Whisky as both components of it's blend were made from 100% barley, though from different distilleries.

It is also true that you can't always believe the press [laugh]

A trick I learned fm a fren on an Indonesian fishing boat 1 hot afternoon.

Take a clean ( well as clean as possible considering where we were) bucket n fill it with ice cold fresh coconut juice n flesh. Add a bottle (or adjust according to your taste) of jack Daniels n just drink with whatever container u can find.

Wah. Damm shiok on a hot sweltering day. After a few drinks, fish bite also cant b bothered. [laugh]

WoW! Fresh coconut juice with JD?! That's one cocktail I would never have come up with myself! Sounds really interesting. Perhaps will try it, or a variation of it at the upcoming National Cocktail Competition! Thanks for the idea!! [thumbsup]

i been to several whisky food pairing both local and overseas. i would say the pairing works as in the way of bringing out the flavour of food and whisky. those that i went to normally are over hype and too expensive to do it on regular basis.

i have did a few private pairing with friends at home and here are some local ideas i can offer:

1. strong peated whiskies goes well with roasted pork (siow bah, not char siew). it leaves a nice smokey flavour on the siow ba - new fusion - smokey siow bah.

2. same for roasted duck - it will turn out to be smokey duck. the fatty oil in duck goes very well with peat and leaves a just nice smokey after taste.

plus many others that we experiment.

the above food doesnt cost an arm or leg. buy from hawker and enjoy at home.. [laugh]

Hey that's nice to know!! Thanks for the pairing suggestions! It's not often we get good pairings with local cuisine as most of these books are written by ang mohs...what the FCUK do they know about asian cuisine man?!

Here's something that's little known in the western world...Pei Tan (Century Egg) goes really well with Champagne! The more flavourful ones such as Bollinger & Veuve Cliquot...

no leh.. the fella never drink whisky.. . only dry martini, shaken not stirred.

Ambui, lai macham sala lah, James blond no whiskey, Martin-ini. [laugh] That's why I wonder where sala.

wow..thats 禪.. ^_^

where got time to appreciate the beauty of nature? only time i can relax is at night when kids and wife slept. :mellow:

Not really la, that was a long time back during my active days.

Unfortunately during exercises, never got opportunity to get whisky; at the most find beer only.

Except for 1 time in ROC on a DivEx; was playing poker in the mess. Quite a high stakes table then (on an NS allowance lah [:p] ). The other players included the Bde Comdr, the CSMs from the MedCoy, S2 from my unit, the BMO and another couple of guys can't remember who. There was this one round, when I had a flush, and all the rest of the players folded except for the CSM. We were drinking coffee laced with whiskey (I dunno where the whisky came from). We were upping the stakes until there was about 300 bucks in the pot, (2LT allowance then was about $500+ only) - so that was about 1/2 a months pay, no joke sia. I was sweating. The whisky helped to prop me up. Cut a long story short - I lost the hand - the CSM had a full house. Sheesh...

Eyh, Heng Chun camp, Sgt. Elevan? This poker game sounds too familiar. -_-

Seconded.

If the distillers intended for whiskey to be mixed with anything else, they would have done it at the distillery. Its meant to be drunk, full strength, all 40+% of it :D

Here, here!! :D

OK, all you experts out there.

Recommend a good and relatively cheap single malt please. Where to buy.

:D

Korai, the one in my hand dah! :D

calll me cheapskate or what.. but my whiskey purchases usually from DFS once I return from an overseas trip. Saves a bundle.

What cheapskates, that's being smart.

Turbocharged

wah a good thread..... long wanted try.... hmmm... maybe will get a bottle to bottom up when i finally get a job... [laugh][rolleyes][:p]

Hey that's nice to know!! Thanks for the pairing suggestions! It's not often we get good pairings with local cuisine as most of these books are written by ang mohs...what the FCUK do they know about asian cuisine man?!

Here's something that's little known in the western world...Pei Tan (Century Egg) goes really well with Champagne! The more flavourful ones such as Bollinger & Veuve Cliquot...

dat's nice.. i can almost imagine the taste.

however i dun really drink champagne cos abit girly and i dun like bubbly.. makes me burp.. [laugh]

the only champagne that leaves an impression is jacqueson 733. tried it once before and i must say its really nice. still, it is a girly drink imho.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

whisky is still my drink.

yum.. the pairing suggestions sounds great... pork and duck... gotta try that out this weekend.

First I wanna go to Tangs basement and get the bodum double walled glasses that MO suggested.

(edited)

Eyh, Heng Chun camp, Sgt. Elevan? This poker game sounds too familiar. -_-

ha ha .. no... this one at Kaoshiung ... at least got some nicer scenery there.

Edited by Parkingidiot

dat's nice.. i can almost imagine the taste.

however i dun really drink champagne cos abit girly and i dun like bubbly.. makes me burp.. [laugh]

the only champagne that leaves an impression is jacqueson 733. tried it once before and i must say its really nice. still, it is a girly drink imho.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

whisky is still my drink.

yeah... never really appreciated the taste of champagne.. for wines, i prefer the heavy reds myself, but still whisky the drink of choice, followed by beer.

I finish 750ml in 2 weeks...so DFS is out for me :( I buy from Giant lol

I don't drink that often, neither do I have time to drink also, how impish I could.

Damn to do this, must have the right mood and atmosphere. .

↡ Advertisement