Buying commercial vehicle by registering a company

Soran

Hi

In light of increasing petrol prices, i am toying with the idea of registering a company in order to buy 2nd hand one of those small diesel vans with a 2nd row of seats (like Renault Kangoo or Opel Combo). Reason being my bro is getting licence soon so need to find a 2nd vehicle

Has anyone done this, and what are the limitations? Speed/lane limit is one i know, as well as cannot go to JB (no big loss). Will there be any other complications/problems that might arise? i heard insurance will only cover passengers who are registered employees....

PS: i posted this qns elsewhere, but didnt get much response. Try my luck here....

↡ Advertisement

It depends. Our driving licence are categories by mass.

I think class 3 cannot drive a >3 ton vehicle if i am not mistaken.

That van is definitely a class 3 drivable.

doesn't Y-plate require class 4?

check the back of your licence.. it is classified by the weight of the motor vehicle you drive..

i used to drive a 10FT Lorry.. i'm just a Class 3 licence..

certain 14ft lorry also can drive with class 3.. like the Mitsubishi Fuso/Canter high deck..

Just checked that Aviva (the one that does the insurance for my car) does not do commercial vehicle insurance.

For those that do, how are the premiums like generally speaking (since the vehicle is company rather than personal property)?

Hi

In light of increasing petrol prices, i am toying with the idea of registering a company in order to buy 2nd hand one of those small diesel vans with a 2nd row of seats (like Renault Kangoo or Opel Combo). Reason being my bro is getting licence soon so need to find a 2nd vehicle

Has anyone done this, and what are the limitations? Speed/lane limit is one i know, as well as cannot go to JB (no big loss). Will there be any other complications/problems that might arise? i heard insurance will only cover passengers who are registered employees....

PS: i posted this qns elsewhere, but didnt get much response. Try my luck here....

why not get a smaller car?

Oh.. I read van so thought what ya needed was really a cargo van.. It's those Kangoo type that you're looking for.. Here's an archive of what you're asking for now back in 2005. Scroll thru and take what you need with a pinch of salt though. But should be possible in theory.

http://www.torque.com.sg/forums/archive/in...p/t-977264.html

This reference thread 5 yrs bk liao, buay chun.....now much more expensive for maintenances & fuel....more than 70 bux to top up diesel full tank...Buying Euro van more than 5 yrs old, dun suay suay get a lehcheh van....replacement of parts & repairs will burn a deep hole in ur pocket...e.g replacement of alternator or radiator fan easily hit 4-500/-...suay suay dcu kaput...this one ard 1.5K...for replacement..

Really wan to consider diesel van due to high prices of petrol....suggest buy a new one...60 ovr K....safe peace of mind for 1st 3-4 yrs...euro4/5 engine anytime can hit ard 16kpl on fuel compsumtion.....

JMHO

why not get a smaller car?

smaller car might not get the fuel savings a diesel van can give

Also, road tax cheaper and average price for a 2nd hand diesel van is also cheaper due to the lower Cat C COE

Why not do a search? I think you will find more info. Basically commercial vehicle has no parf value. Paper value is what's left of the coe. Boh hwa if you buy a 2nd hand. Speed limit is one thing. 70km/hr is applied if your van is empty, if you are carrying passengers(in cargo area) or goods the speed limit becomes 60km/hr.

Dan there's the yearly inspection. If you intend to use it to ferry passengers dan get a small car between 1.0L ~1.3L. Van is design to carry goods, think about the passenger safety.

Anyway I'm thinking how are you going to file your tax returns when you had register a business(aka self employed) and at the same time you are working for someone else?

Edited by Watwheels

Why not do a search? I think you will find more info. Basically commercial vehicle has no parf value. Paper value is what's left of the coe. Boh hwa if you buy a 2nd hand. Speed limit is one thing. 70km/hr is applied if your van is empty, if you are carrying passengers(in cargo area) or goods the speed limit becomes 60km/hr.

Dan there's the yearly inspection. If you intend to use it to ferry passengers dan get a small car between 1.0L ~1.3L. Van is design to carry goods, think about the passenger safety.

I tot cars after the 1st 3 yrs also hv yearly inspection?

Neutral Newbie

This reference thread 5 yrs bk liao, buay chun.....now much more expensive for maintenances & fuel....more than 70 bux to top up diesel full tank...Buying Euro van more than 5 yrs old, dun suay suay get a lehcheh van....replacement of parts & repairs will burn a deep hole in ur pocket...e.g replacement of alternator or radiator fan easily hit 4-500/-...suay suay dcu kaput...this one ard 1.5K...for replacement..

Really wan to consider diesel van due to high prices of petrol....suggest buy a new one...60 ovr K....safe peace of mind for 1st 3-4 yrs...euro4/5 engine anytime can hit ard 16kpl on fuel compsumtion.....

JMHO

And that's why I say take what you need with a pinch of salt. And its not the figures that TS should be taking in but the possibility of acting upon his idea of getting a cargo vehicle under a registered company with no transactions.

Neutral Newbie

Hi

well like what other bros mention, buying 2nd hand european vans will really burn a hole in ur pocket if parts start to fail. You will never go wrong with a japanese van.

i am driving a liteace on euro 3 engine, consumption is around 14km/l-15km/l. The parts are really cheap and best of all most workshop and mechanics knows how to fix a toyota. Not Many mechanics knows how to fix a european van.

if the van you intend to buy is less than 10 years old then there will be a yearly inspection. If the van is more than 10 years old then there be inspection every 6 months. And they are very particular about black smoke wor....

Edited by Nismonur

well like what other bros mention, buying 2nd hand european vans will really burn a hole in ur pocket if parts start to fail. You will never go wrong with a japanese van.

i am driving a liteace on euro 3 engine, consumption is around 14km/l-15km/l. The parts are really cheap and best of all most workshop and mechanics knows how to fix a toyota. Not Many mechanics knows how to fix a european van.

if the van you intend to buy is less than 10 years old then there will be a yearly inspection. If the van is more than 10 years old then there be inspection every 6 months. And they are very particular about black smoke wor....

6 months?!?!?!?!

and i thought my car yearly inspection is bad enough

Neutral Newbie

It's true....I read somewhere in LTA website [drivingcar]

My company has an old pickup more than 10 years old. every 6 months tio inspection. bo bian 1.

you go www.eurovanclub.com ask better

anyway unless your meage is dammn bloody high, your savings are very little

↡ Advertisement