CF bonnet or Aluminium Bonnet

Mllcg

My car now in the ws for some small problems.

my mech asked if i want to change to Aluminium bonnet from the current CF.

should i do it?

↡ Advertisement

Does ur model comes original with aluminum bonnet? If u r using real carbon fibre bonnet,then i dont see the point of changimg..

I would chose the lightest one.

After all....weight is the main issue when it comes to changing bonnet right?

No one change for fun right?

my cf got many dings and dents.

he say CF cannot knock back.

so stick to CF?

or his recommended alu?

Neutral Newbie

But aluminium can consider light also... any idea cf or aluminium cheaper?

Doesn't matter. Cause alu bonnet is not stiff so prone to dents.

but lighter is which one?

Well, I think since need to change already, might as well go a different look and take the aluminium one. Repaint to suit the car and go for the original look.

Having said that, I suppose the CF one would be lighter. Can also go for a Carbon/Kevlar one with a different design than your current bonnet. New look also!

Well, I think since need to change already, might as well go a different look and take the aluminium one. Repaint to suit the car and go for the original look.

Having said that, I suppose the CF one would be lighter. Can also go for a Carbon/Kevlar one with a different design than your current bonnet. New look also!

aluminium vs CF. what about performance wise?

so alu is heavier?

aluminium vs CF. what about performance wise?

so alu is heavier?

Yeah, that would be my guess. Although a poorly engineered carbon fibre bonnet can sometimes be heavier than a well engineered aluminium bonnet. So buyer beware!

If the alu bonnet is an original manufactured to the company's exacting specifications, it could actually be a better bet than an aftermarket part. Unless of course that aftermarket CF bonnet is from a famous brand name like Varis or something.

i'd rather stick sticker over your cf bonnet to cover up the minor dings and dents and it'll be as good as new but surely cheaper than a brand new 1, be it cf or alu

but in terms of performance which is better?

and in terms of weight.

pls answer those 2 questions seperately.

mm... usually , either those big brand cf bonnets are light ,we talking about brands like ORIGINAL varis/c west/seibon /do-luck etc .. or those with full cf under structures are light.

example , try weighing a ver 9 sti original bonnet against a ROBSON design cf bonnet. you will be amazed the cf is much heavier.

and you asked to answer the 2 questions seperately , yet do you have any idea both the questions are directly related to each other.

light weight = better performance. so answer one is as good as answering another.

but in your case , no it will not enhance or make your car faster.

honestly changing a bonnet will not give u much. you want significant difference , change your boot and all the 4 doors to reputable cf brands.

what alloy is the alu? wat grade and wat type. find out the density from ASTM standards.

then compare with the carbon fibre and compare the density.

if u know the exact alloy, u can also find out the ultimate tensile strength (UTS), elongation, stress strain curve etc from the standard.

Edited by Carer
↡ Advertisement