Who has the right of way?

Grix17

Who has the right of way?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Look at the picture below.

• Car A has right of way
    • Car B has right of way
    • Neither - 50/50 - Give and take
    • See who turns first! The slower one gives way.

Car A is making a legal U-turn.

Car B is exiting the car park and turning left.

Who has right of way?

Whoisright.gif

The issue here is this:

STOP line VS Road Divider

Edited by Grix17
↡ Advertisement

Car A. Because Car A in on the main road, Car B is coming out from small road. Must give way to cars on the main road.

The same applies if Car A is turning into the small road (where car B is). Car A has the right of way.

Simple rule to remember. Car coming out from small road has to give way to cars from main road.

However, under defensive driving, both A and B should look out for each other to avoid a collision. Thus driving requires some logical and critical thinking, not just who is right who is wrong. We are not robots.

Forget to mention there is a STOP line. Car B must stop at the stop line and look out for traffic before moving.

Edited by Mona-vie

Car A. Because Car A in on the main road, Car B is coming out from small road. Must give way to cars on the main road.

The same applies if Car A is turning into the small road (where car B is). Car A has the right of way.

Simple rule to remember. Car coming out from small road has to give way to cars from main road.

However, under defensive driving, both A and B should look out for each other to avoid a collision. Thus driving requires some logical and critical thinking, not just who is right who is wrong. We are not robots.

Forget to mention there is a STOP line. Car B must stop at the stop line and look out for traffic before moving.

Technically, Car A is on the other side of the road.

I am asking this because I was the Car B and there were many Car A U-turning in front of me.

I crept forward and turned out after the last "Car A" and got horned by the next Car A who U-turned AFTER I had already turned.

So I was unhappy.

He looked at me, and I glared back at him.

main road > small road

stop line must give way

That is probably the way rules are supposed to be followed.

But these days, nobody follows the rules properly.

Eg. white dotted lines for slip roads - they just force their way into the main carriageway.

At least I (as Car B) waited for a sizeable gap between the U-turning vehicles (Car A).

right-turning vehicle must give way to all traffic

Totally wrong.

Classic cases are roads leading into carparks. If you exit from carpark, you can usually turn left or right. HOWEVER, you MUST give way to cars turning into the car park cause they are on the major road.

This is practiced everywhere in SG.

Technically, Car A is on the other side of the road.

I am asking this because I was the Car B and there were many Car A U-turning in front of me.

I crept forward and turned out after the last "Car A" and got horned by the next Car A who U-turned AFTER I had already turned.

So I was unhappy.

He looked at me, and I glared back at him.

But you are in the wrong cause you failed to give way. Btw, which lane were you on when you turned out? Leftmost lane or center lane?

You are also supposed to keep to the leftmost lane when you turn out. (turn left keep left rule).

Btw another classic example of where cars on minor road have to give way. Ubi. The cross junction at Paya Lebar road turning into Ubi road. At the cross junction, there are many cars doing a U turn. There are also cars coming from Ubi Road. The cars from Ubi road must give way to the U turn cars.

(edited)

But you are in the wrong cause you failed to give way. Btw, which lane were you on when you turned out? Leftmost lane or center lane?

You are also supposed to keep to the leftmost lane when you turn out. (turn left keep left rule).

I crept out and followed the previous car in the leftmost lane.

There was no oncoming traffic heading in the direction otherwise.

I thought that there is no rush for the Car B to U-turn, and that he should also look out for other cars.

Furthermore, the U-turn spot is also turning right into carpark.

When I was horned at , my first question was:

Is there absolute right of way in this scenario?

Btw, if the roles were reversed and I was the Car A, I would give way to the Car B because my path begins on the opposite side of the road.

Edited by Grix17

Car A has right of way as it is on the main road.

I believe you have a stop line just before entry to the main road from your carpark.

If you cannot judge Car A's speed/intention, please try harder next time.

Many such junctions have a sign (visible by car B) saying "Give way to U-turning vehicles" or "Beware of U-turning vehicles". This sign alone tells you who has the right of way.

Always car A. Cars on the major road (even if U-turning into the opposite lane) have the right of way.

But if langgar, don't know how insurance will adjudge, but for sure majority of blame will not be on car A. Likely that car B will bear most of the burden.

Edited by Turboflat4

There's a similar turning at Buangkok Green .. the government should put a "No U-turn" sign cos it's too dangerous. I have never used the U-turn, but have jammed brake a few times when turning out of the car-park. Every car that turns right has a possibility of doing a U-turn, so you have to slow down and gauge the car's next move. So far I have met gracious people, no horning .. just slowing down to see who would go first.

Is there absolute right of way in this scenario?

Yes, by traffic code.

Btw, if the roles were reversed and I was the Car A, I would give way to the Car B because my path begins on the opposite side of the road.

That's beside the point.

If there was really a huge gap (as in car A wasn't even lined up to U-turn), then car A wouldn't have horned right? But if car A was lined up to U-turn and was delayed or blocked by you turning left, he has the right to be a little cheesed off.

Edited by Turboflat4

Many such junctions have a sign (visible by car B) saying "Give way to U-turning vehicles" or "Beware of U-turning vehicles". This sign alone tells you who has the right of way.

Nah, never seen such a sign there in 6 years. Gahmen saving money. Or am I selectively-blind.

Btw, I don't like the design of the divider anyway.

It's dangerous because there are people crossing at both corners of the road divider kerbs sometimes.

If there was really a huge gap (as in car A wasn't even lined up to U-turn), then car A wouldn't have horned right? But if car A was lined up to U-turn and was delayed or blocked by you turning left, he has the right to be a little cheesed off.

I guess so .. everybody is in the rush in the mornings. People always on the edge.

Anyway, I usually wait for U-turning cars. This one turned very quickly without actually checking.

First time I got horned at in 6 years. So even if he has right of way, caution should still be exercised.

↡ Advertisement