Foreigners anxiously eyeing GE results

Swataction

Neutral Newbie

The increasing presence of foreigners in Singapore has long been difficult to ignore.

There are now 1.3 million foreigners living and working in Singapore, making up one-third of its population of 5.1 million, according to Singapore's Department of Statistics. The Ministry of Manpower said last month that out of 116,000 jobs created last year, more than half were taken up by foreigners.

It is no wonder the foreign talent issue has become a hotly-debated topic for this year's General Election.

But what do foreigners themselves have to say about being at the brunt of many Singaporeans' frustrations? And are they concerned at all about how GE results might affect them?

Yahoo! Singapore hits the streets to find out

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

They will be worried as their jobs and stay here at risk if the PAP loses dominance in parliament and have to cater to a xenophobic mood.

the last part... 116,000 jobs were created in 2010.. 50% went to foreigners... the remaining 50% went to Singaporeans and PR.

Neutral Newbie

yes, my point is how many of the new jobs created are hold by singaporean?? again they dun give a clear and transparent picture.. 50% go to singaporean & PR?

how many % singaporean?? 20%, PR 70%??

welcome FT to create jobs for singaporeans.. BS!! more of creating opportunities for more FTs to come SG to plunder on our $$$ and push up all prices and fled w big fat profits leaving the poor locals with shits to clear. and gahmen allow them to do so by opening the floodgate

Hypersonic

the last part... 116,000 jobs were created in 2010.. 50% went to foreigners... the remaining 50% went to Singaporeans and PR.

So how did the PM derived the figure of 1.5 jobs for Singaporeans for every FT imported? He tok cok izzit? Trying to smoke everybody. :angry:

Turbocharged

This gives the illusion of full employment..and high economic growth in double digits so that MIW can lay claim it is their credit and grab their nice nice bonuses. [sly]

This gives the illusion of full employment..and high economic growth in double digits so that MIW can lay claim it is their credit and grab their nice nice bonuses. [sly]

all these are to fatten gov't's coffers.

not all locals earn more. :angry:

Aren't you guys missing something here ?

"The Ministry of Manpower said last month that out of 116,000 jobs created last year, more than half were taken up by foreigners."

It means more than 50% goes to foreigners. Locals got a smaller pie.

Furthermore, MOM's classication of 'locals' includes PRs... so.... citizens got an even smaller pie [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

I know 1 indian IT guy at workplace just come to sinka 2yr can get free PR, I go mcdonalds 2yr still nvr get free hotcake

Neutral Newbie

thats always the case, they nv come clean w their stats.. so out of 116000 jobs created, how many singaporeans benefited from it? noone will ever knows except them.

and we the citizens have the rights to know and we need opposition to fight for our rights to reveal such impt information if not we are forever kept in the dark and kanna screwed by gahmen and all so-call FTs... here to plunder our wealth, compete for our jobs and retire by at their hometown with all the big fat profit made from their subsidised flats, CPF, better pay compared to their hometown.

while we truly singaporeans suffered in silence and our future generations have to suffer and inherit all the debts..

our opposition parties are right to call for check & balance on gahmen on their policies and we shd really tighten our immigration policy.. only allow FT to apply PR if they are really here to stay and no renewal of PR, they have to take up the citizenship once the PR expired.

I know many colleagues and friends that are PRs are very reluctant to given up their citizenship and keep renewing their PR reason they do not want their sons to serve NS, they wan to go back to the country to retire.. if this is the case, do we really wan this type of PR/FT?? are they really wanting to be singaporean or they are just here to plunder and go?

i am super duper angry when my colleague told me that he is appealing to the MP not to let his son serve NS as his son is too young to decide which citizenship he wants. WTF the kind of reason is this?

↡ Advertisement