Calling ALL Aljunied GRC residents.

Alim

Support for WP in Aljunied GRC  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be supporting WP in Aljunied GRC?

• YES
    • NO
    • UNDECIDED YET

Neutral Newbie

First of all, we have to be realistic, it is almost impossible for PAP to lose all the contested seat, 82 of them in this GE. Simply because there are still a lot of old folk and die hard PAP supporter around. Aljunied is the best chance that opp can be voted in, but as some have pointed out, 5 voices can do nothing. So the only thing that can keep PAP on the toe is to bring down the overall support to near to 50%, 60% will not make them wake up, as to them, they will still treat it as giving them the mandate.

Some may feel that that is no good as they will still rubber stamp what ever policy they want. But don't forget, if their support is so low, they can't bull doze whatever they want anymore. They have to understand that anymore unpopular policy will see them get booted out next GE.

Take for example, if MBT is lucky to win this GE, but only got 53% of valid vote, do you think he will still push for higher HDB price? He will have to do something to stablise the property Market and may even bring down the new HDB price using opp ideal. As he know that if he still don't do anything to please Singaporean, he will get kick off.

So the main ideal is to make them feel threaten, then they will work for you. As of now, they still don't know where they stand, nobody know also. They know that alot of people make noise in Internet, but that doesn't mean it translate into real vote. But if they know that their support went down to dangerous level, they have to buck up.

I don't get you... you are saying you want change and you want it a massive bang...

otherwise, you don't want any change at all?

Are you saying you want the opposition to win all... or have zero opposition ... either extreme... all or nothing?

Currently 2 Opp MPs = powerless to stop pap

After 7May, even if u get 10 Opp MPs in = also powerless to stop PAP, another 5 years of total PAP domination isn't it?

29 will be good enough for me, can veto. If can pull off miracle 50 even better.

dun tcss, if u dun believe in baby steps,

wat u doing to help make the giant leap?!

u go and be opp candidate lah,

dun NATO and kpkb [smash]

like go on first date and ask: how many grandchildren u wan?

LOL. What is your contribution then? U done anything since u disagree with me? Or your only contribition is to reply to me in MCF? <_<

Talking about politics is so fun, can really see emotions flaring up

Neutral Newbie

Will voting opp party into power means that we will no longer pay GST? No COE? HDB at cost price? No ERP? Lower transport costs? Or even a tiny weenie bit of discounts for those items? Or will it mean that Aljunied GRC will have its whole estate transformed into a opp land as compared to a ruling party's GRCs? Drop in housing values, no more upgrading of anything, left out or delayed of any improvement schemes as seen in opp-ruled SMCs? I'm kinda worried over this issue... [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead][:(] [:(] [:(]

actually i took a glance at the manifesto for opposition/alternate parties.

I saw that

GST will be removed for essential items.

GST was suggested to be lowered to 3%

havent had time to go thru the entire thing, because my concern is simple.

with 1 ruling party, we just cannot say NO, object or contest ANY policies that they choose to implement.

GST to increase, u can say no?

ERP to increase, u can say no?

Transport to increase, u can say no?

COE quota cut somemore, u can say no?

LPPL right? at least with the opposition, there is HOPE and surely there will be our voices there.

Neutral Newbie

First of all, we have to be realistic, it is almost impossible for PAP to lose all the contested seat, 82 of them in this GE. Simply because there are still a lot of old folk and die hard PAP supporter around. Aljunied is the best chance that opp can be voted in, but as some have pointed out, 5 voices can do nothing. So the only thing that can keep PAP on the toe is to bring down the overall support to near to 50%, 60% will not make them wake up, as to them, they will still treat it as giving them the mandate.

Some may feel that that is no good as they will still rubber stamp what ever policy they want. But don't forget, if their support is so low, they can't bull doze whatever they want anymore. They have to understand that anymore unpopular policy will see them get booted out next GE.

Take for example, if MBT is lucky to win this GE, but only got 53% of valid vote, do you think he will still push for higher HDB price? He will have to do something to stablise the property Market and may even bring down the new HDB price using opp ideal. As he know that if he still don't do anything to please Singaporean, he will get kick off.

So the main ideal is to make them feel threaten, then they will work for you. As of now, they still don't know where they stand, nobody know also. They know that alot of people make noise in Internet, but that doesn't mean it translate into real vote. But if they know that their support went down to dangerous level, they have to buck up.

Nah if MBT is voted in, he gets another 5 yrs of high pay, by the time for next election. He already retires.

It just means another 5 yrs of suffering for us. :angry:

Neutral Newbie

Before u ask me when PAP has heard and acted, show me one instance that Opp MPs have managed to stop the PAP from doing what they want.

Alright, MEXICAN STANDOFF!!!!

lol 2 seats of opposition vs 80+ PAP, can stop what?

2 ants stopping an elephant?

hmm..... nice results.

but the ones i gather, those who do not surf internet, doesnt share the same sentiments.

out of 7 ppl i asked, 5 possible votes to pap....

funny lei..............

Neutral Newbie

I'm just thinking.... if three is no OPP in parliament...

10-15 yrs later.. would be be paying $100K COE, $10 per ERP gantry we pass, 10% GST, $1M for HDB on Coney Island and etc etc etc... so that enuf revenue is generated to support the $10M basic salary of all ministers, plus PM, SM, MM and SMM (new post) ??? I know for sure my pay will increase by 30% then, because that is what they promise.. but I don't know if this 30% can offset the $10 chicken rice that I may have to pay at the hawker center or kopi tiam...

I have a daughter.. I do not want her future to be like a horse on Animal Farm.. We are not just voting for the next 5 yrs.. but the future 10-15 yrs and beyond...

hmm..... nice results.

but the ones i gather, those who do not surf internet, doesnt share the same sentiments.

out of 7 ppl i asked, 5 possible votes to pap....

funny lei..............

7 or 100 is not accurate. 1000 sampling size across different dwelling types will be a good indication.

I am sure LTK has gone to the ground and people want him to come to Aljunied.

I'm just thinking.... if three is no OPP in parliament...

10-15 yrs later.. would be be paying $100K COE, $10 per ERP gantry we pass, 10% GST, $1M for HDB on Coney Island and etc etc etc... so that enuf revenue is generated to support the $10M basic salary of all ministers, plus PM, SM, MM and SMM (new post) ??? I know for sure my pay will increase by 30% then, because that is what they promise.. but I don't know if this 30% can offset the $10 chicken rice that I may have to pay at the hawker center or kopi tiam...

I have a daughter.. I do not want her future to be like a horse on Animal Farm.. We are not just voting for the next 5 yrs.. but the future 10-15 yrs and beyond...

Oh, they promised 30% pay rise? To who? Civil servants or everybody? By when do they say they want to achieve that? If my boss sees this he will fall off his chair....

damm i just realised across the road from my block is under Aljunied and while i am in East coast GRC.

damm it..cant contribute my vote to WP.

Same estate but different grc...

Oh, they promised 30% pay rise? To who? Civil servants or everybody? By when do they say they want to achieve that? If my boss sees this he will fall off his chair....

they aim to raise singaporean's median income by 30% in next 10 (or 12?) years..

but this budget alone, they increase civil servant pay allocation by 30% liao. (correct me if im wrong)

damm i just realised across the road from my block is under Aljunied and while i am in East coast GRC.

wah.. then we possibly stay darn near. U in bedok north?

Article by Chen Show Mao written a year ago:

the kind of thinking and heart I would want in our government :)

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=1...66&comments

her shann

This is enlightening. Thank you for your post. [:)]

Copied & Paste for easy reading...

Do Chinese Muslims concern us?

by Chen Show Mao on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 11:11pm

Show Mao wrote this over a year ago, but feels that it may still be topical.

There was an Al Jazeera video on the subject of Chinese Muslims posted on theonlinecitizen, a popular Singapore website. One of its readers complained that the subject had no relevance for Singaporeans.

I feel differently.

To me one of Singapore's defining traits is its multi-culturalism. It is an article of faith. Indeed when Singaporeans give vent to their resentments of those newly among us, the complaint is often that the newcomers speak no English and keep to themselves. In other words, they are not "multi-cultural" like us -- not Singaporean enough. A Malay friend mentioned how he felt a stranger among the new Chinese immigrants in his HDB estate, who form a tight group among themselves and speak a different language. All I could think of at the time was to remind him that it may well be part of the Singapore condition ("My neighbor is another language" -- Edwin Thumboo).

I wonder if my friend knows that China has a long history of engagement with Islam, which is welcome by Muslims inside and outside the country. By some accounts the first Muslim envoy to China, led by Sa'dd ibn Abi Waqqas, the maternal uncle of the Prophet Mohammad, was received in 651A.D. by the emperor Gaozong of the Tang dynasty, who ordered the construction of a memorial mosque in Canton. According to the Arab historian Tabari (deceased 923 A.D.), al-Mansur (754-775 A.D.), the second of the Abbasid caliphs, had declared that in laying the foundations of Baghdad by the Tigris "there is no obstacle between us and China. Everything on the sea can come to us."

Contributions by Chinese Muslims are felt everywhere in China, and as far as Singapore. The first governor of the province of Yunnan, the first designer of the city that would be Beijing, eminent scholars of astronomy and mathematics, important officials of finance and tax... The Ming dynasty fleet that brought the first Chinese settlors to Malacca and visited Sumatra, Java and in all likelihood Singapore in the early fifteenth century was commanded by a Chinese Muslim, Hajji Mahmud Shams, better known as Admiral Cheng Ho, or Zheng He. Nearer our own time, Baiderluden Omar, better known as General Bai Chongxi, was widely regarded as the best strategist in the Chinese army during the second world war. And closer to home, Mrs Chen was raised by her maternal grandmother in a Muslim household.

I will console my friend as follows. This strange tongue that you sometimes hear around you, that makes you feel that part of your house is not your home, should remind you of the kind of people we are. It celebrates what is best about us. And though at first it may sound jarring, I hope you will not feel as estranged knowing that Allah is also praised and worshipped in this language.

when Chen went about writing this.. i wonder if he had to dig out reference or it just spills off his brain?

if its the latter.. then he is really quite power..

(edited)

What he wrote hits me, whenever I talk to my Malay and Indian friends, I felt closer talking to them than to a new Chinese citizen .

In future, I guess my kids and the new citizen kids probably can communicate better but not in my generation.

Edited by Alim

East coast is contested by WP... so you can contribute to WP also :)

↡ Advertisement