Having 2 baby car seats for a 5 seater car

Tingshen

the problem about MPV is.....

the last row is so near to the road....if accident happen...sure kena jialat jialat one......that's what I'm worrying...

Normal sedan at least has the boot as buffer....

think alphard jialat, front back all near the road!

↡ Advertisement

I am having a Latio now and planning to have the 2nd baby. The car seat I'm using is quite big (360 degree turning from Combi). We plan to use the same for the 2nd baby. Currently my first baby is about 15months old.

If I need to use 2 of this combi 360 degree turning car seat, I am afraid that my wife may not have enough space to sit in between with 2 car seats installed at the back.

I have 2 questions:

1. What's the youngest age for toddler to use a basic toddler seat / booster seat?

2. What is the 5 seater car that has good space to house 2 such car seats yet having enough space at the centre? (besides Edix?)

Any other suggestions are welcome!

I try not to go beyond 5 seaters categories.....

airwave maybe?

Supercharged

How does your maid get in and out of the car? Remove one of the baby seats every time ? [knife]

I also using Britax and it is surely big..

I am going the opposite way and getting a bigger vehicle, so that no need fiddle with the baby seats and yet all can enter/exit and seat comfy...

Latio leg space quite wide. As long as the front seats do not push back max, adult can "walk" in with a child sitting at the side.

Supercharged

I am having a Latio now and planning to have the 2nd baby. The car seat I'm using is quite big (360 degree turning from Combi). We plan to use the same for the 2nd baby. Currently my first baby is about 15months old.

If I need to use 2 of this combi 360 degree turning car seat, I am afraid that my wife may not have enough space to sit in between with 2 car seats installed at the back.

I have 2 questions:

1. What's the youngest age for toddler to use a basic toddler seat / booster seat?

2. What is the 5 seater car that has good space to house 2 such car seats yet having enough space at the centre? (besides Edix?)

Any other suggestions are welcome!

I try not to go beyond 5 seaters categories.....

1. Booster seat, 3 yearold up. And, the child must be mature enough as they are strong enough to remove the seatbelt on their own. The most important point is actually their height. The seat belt must not run across their face or neck.

2. 5 seater car. Got budget, any >2L car can accommodate 2 child seats at the back. The width is usually >1800mm.

If 1.6L car, like Latio, the width is only 1700mm. This is not enough. Stream is also 1700mm which is not ideal too.

You can try Forte and Advante. They are slightly wider than Jap make.

(edited)

Thanks for all the reply! Think I can take can buy an infant seat to resolve it.....Latio is actually very spacious. Push the front passenger seat to the max, any adult can still go in and out easily....

But if I were to move on to SUV, what're the options? Can't afford XC90 until our combined income is near $30K/month .... Gotta skip MPV, just too dangerous to be driven at the back.... Estima is probably the safest among all?

Actually I am considering switching to an used Prius due to new work commitment. I would incur additional 800KM~1200KM per month. Currently I am only at around 1350KM per month.... Saw one Aug 2008 Prius going at $68K.....My Nov 2009 Latio can probably fetch near $60K?

With the surge price in Petrol, is it worth to go for Prius? I supposed it's more spacious than Latio.... Can probably cut my fuel usage by 2.5x?

Edited by Tingshen

How does your maid get in and out of the car? Remove one of the baby seats every time ? [knife]

I also using Britax and it is surely big..

I am going the opposite way and getting a bigger vehicle, so that no need fiddle with the baby seats and yet all can enter/exit and seat comfy...

She climbs in & out easily, no need to remove any child seats...

which SUV are you driving.

to the thread starter, alternatively you can try to find 5 seater sedans with a 3point seat belt for the middle rear seat. This way the child seats can be in the middle and right side and your wife can sit on the left. I am using this combination with Combi Coccoro seats on a Suzuki Liana for my Kids. the 2Year old sits on the right side, forward facing, the 5mth old is in the middle seat rear facing. the left seat is still comfortable enough for me at 1.73m. If a 3rd kid comes along, the oldest will probably move to the front seat with a booster.

The liana has also ISOFIX for the 2 left and right rear seats. but i decided not to get ISOFIX seats as they are super bulky. also we do frequently transfer to car seats out to my parents and parents-in-law cars, when they take care of them. the combi coccoro seats are light enough to be transferred without any strain. So the key for such a combination is the 3 point seat belt for the middle seat as this will give you the flexibility you need.

I'm driving the baby Land Rover, Freelander 2

I think that MPV will be the best solution for family head counts increasing. I hate car seat taking out larger space than adult. I change to estima-7 seater before my twins coming. My eldest is 3 yrs now. Twins are 1 yr. 3 car seats, 1 maid and 2 adults. Only estima suit our needs with large lunggage compartment and accessible from 2nd to 3rd row even 1st row.

We also try 2 car seats at the back (one face outward and one face inward) + one maid behind at centre on honda accord (Generation 7). It works. My eldest sit at front passenger (Not good facing airbag) for short trip when only my wife driving. You may need to find larger sedan such as honda accord G8 with even 2" wider or honda edix.

It has been extreme headache for parents. I will soon getting 2nd maid for my wife (Depression due to babies taking care). We will again trying to figure the best configuration for 3 car seats and 4 adults. Maybe my eldest need to sit at third row + maid at centre and twin2 (Twin 1 + maid at 2nd row). 2 car seats only leave a narrow space for maid at 3rd row. My eldest has not meet the height for only booster seat.

• Praise 2

I think that MPV will be the best solution for family head counts increasing. I hate car seat taking out larger space than adult. I change to estima-7 seater before my twins coming. My eldest is 3 yrs now. Twins are 1 yr. 3 car seats, 1 maid and 2 adults. Only estima suit our needs with large lunggage compartment and accessible from 2nd to 3rd row even 1st row.

We also try 2 car seats at the back (one face outward and one face inward) + one maid behind at centre on honda accord (Generation 7). It works. My eldest sit at front passenger (Not good facing airbag) for short trip when only my wife driving. You may need to find larger sedan such as honda accord G8 with even 2" wider or honda edix.

It has been extreme headache for parents. I will soon getting 2nd maid for my wife (Depression due to babies taking care). We will again trying to figure the best configuration for 3 car seats and 4 adults. Maybe my eldest need to sit at third row + maid at centre and twin2 (Twin 1 + maid at 2nd row). 2 car seats only leave a narrow space for maid at 3rd row. My eldest has not meet the height for only booster seat.

I was thinking of Estima too, we dun need maid so not so bad ;)

How far is the distance between back door and the last row? Can they be folded?

• Praise 1

The best solution is refrain from having a 2nd child. Save all trouble!

lol, we actually plan to have at least 3....

I need urgent help. If my car seat belt has no ALR, how to install my non isofix baby car seat rear facing in it? I need 2 rear facinf side by side somemore coz babies are closed in age and new one coming in a few months' time.

Got a new Subaru Forester Xt today and realised I cannot drive my babies around....

• Praise 1

I need urgent help. If my car seat belt has no ALR, how to install my non isofix baby car seat rear facing in it? I need 2 rear facinf side by side somemore coz babies are closed in age and new one coming in a few months' time.

Got a new Subaru Forester Xt today and realised I cannot drive my babies around....

Use the seat belt locking clip la. Non ISOFIX and even ISOFIX seats will come with seat belt locking clip. Read your child seat manual.

don't say 2 child seats, you want to put 3 also possible. many child seats combo to choose from to fit in a 5 seater.

96b3792371b542a87cfed6dc6616b88e.jpg

the best for 2 children is left and right in the rear seat. 1 adult passenger seat in front. 

if not, make sure to choose a car that allows deactivation of front air bag. 1 child in front, 1 child in the rear with 1 adult.

if still want the wife to seat with 2 kids left and right, then read on...

some sites you can visit to make sure enough space in the middle..

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3-across-car-seat-guide-html/

http://thecarseatlady.com/fitting3across/

http://blogs.babycenter.com/products_and_prizes/02052015-13-car-seats-that-fit-3-across-in-most-vehicles/

anyway congrats!

this is what my car will look like next year. glad i read up before choosing the car. no problem fitting 3 seats across. 

dscf8800.jpg

Edited by Lab4games
  • Praise 2

How do you put 2 baby seats behind and have your wife get in to the center? LOL

If you need 2 baby seats, it should be one in front and one behind. The front passenger side - disable the airbag.

In fact let me share with you that the front passenger seat is more well protected than the rear. Usually the side impact protection are focused around the front doors. You can tell by the weight of the door.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1