Having 2 baby car seats for a 5 seater car

Tingshen

The recommendation that i see online, esp US authorities, always emphasize to put baby seats in rear seats. It will be a good idea to look for cars with 3 pt seat belt in all 3 rear seats, then u can put 2 baby seats side by side, and still have one adult sit beside them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

How do you put 2 baby seats behind and have your wife get in to the center? LOL

If you need 2 baby seats, it should be one in front and one behind. The front passenger side - disable the airbag.

In fact let me share with you that the front passenger seat is more well protected than the rear. Usually the side impact protection are focused around the front doors. You can tell by the weight of the door.

Most cars can la. My small car also can put 2 baby seats behind and have my wife in the center.

Front passenger door sure heavier la, there are more things inside. Electronics for the side mirrors, speakers and things like the controls for the windows. Rear door usually not so many things. At least for my cars, the front and rear passenger doors look the same on the inside except for the extra features that the front door has which doesn't contribute to safety.

Btw, the front seat is the last place you should put a car seat even if you turn off the airbag.

Edited by Nzy

Most cars can la. My small car also can put 2 baby seats behind and have my wife in the center.

Front passenger door sure heavier la, there are more things inside. Electronics for the side mirrors, speakers and things like the controls for the windows. Rear door usually not so many things. At least for my cars, the front and rear passenger doors look the same on the inside except for the extra features that the front door has which doesn't contribute to safety.

Btw, the front seat is the last place you should put a car seat even if you turn off the airbag.

I'm surprised how misinformed people are. The notion that the front seat is unsafe is no longer true with most cars made in the last decade or so. There is a (Swedish?) study that shows that child in the front passenger seat is actually safer as long as you observe that children below the ages of 3 should remain in seats that are rear-facing. The primary reason for that is not just because of any car structure or anything... it's just that parents have less distractions when the child is beside them. The reason why a lot of sites advise against placing child seats in the front is because the front seats usually have airbags and morons people usually forget to disable them. As long as the airbags are disabled, the front is no different from the rear in terms of safety.

For the record, yes I have a child, and yes he rides in the front seat of my wife's car since he was a toddler (now 11 months) because she brings him out solo sometimes. Imagine a crying baby and mummy driving. You know how much distraction that is?

The recommendation that i see online, esp US authorities, always emphasize to put baby seats in rear seats. It will be a good idea to look for cars with 3 pt seat belt in all 3 rear seats, then u can put 2 baby seats side by side, and still have one adult sit beside them.

See above.

Here's the article:

http://www.carseat.se/are-car-seats-in-front-seat-safe/

Edited by Detach8

Twincharged

I'm surprised how misinformed people are. The notion that the front seat is unsafe is no longer true with most cars made in the last decade or so. There is a (Swedish?) study that shows that child in the front passenger seat is actually safer as long as you observe that children below the ages of 3 should remain in seats that are rear-facing. The primary reason for that is not just because of any car structure or anything... it's just that parents have less distractions when the child is beside them. The reason why a lot of sites advise against placing child seats in the front is because the front seats usually have airbags and morons people usually forget to disable them. As long as the airbags are disabled, the front is no different from the rear in terms of safety.

For the record, yes I have a child, and yes he rides in the front seat of my wife's car since he was a toddler (now 11 months) because she brings him out solo sometimes. Imagine a crying baby and mummy driving. You know how much distraction that is?

See above.

Here's the article:

http://www.carseat.se/are-car-seats-in-front-seat-safe/

That is just one article. And it also states that is only for rear facing child seats. Please read the article properly. Every other article states the rear seat is the safer option. Front seat is only good for those situations where there is no one at the back to take care of the child. 

They also say that frontal collisions make up 75% of accidents on the roads. So doesn't that mean that the rear seat is better? Less likely to get hit. At least, that is what the other articles say also. Your article and every other article mentions that frontal collisions are the most common type of accident. Only difference is your article states that is why the front is a safe place to be, while the rest say that it is the reason why we should put the child in the front seat as a last resort only. Cuz that is where the impact is from most of the time. I guess your article is saying that the front seat is ok for a child, but if possible, just use the rear seats.

It doesn't say that the front seat is safer. It just says that the front seat can be as safe contrary to popular belief. I agree with that. But if possible, I still put my child at the back as it is still the safest place furthest away from where most collisions occur.

Edited by Nzy

That is just one article. And it also states that is only for rear facing child seats. Please read the article properly. Every other article states the rear seat is the safer option. Front seat is only good for those situations where there is no one at the back to take care of the child. 

They also say that frontal collisions make up 75% of accidents on the roads. So doesn't that mean that the rear seat is better? Less likely to get hit. At least, that is what the other articles say also. Your article and every other article mentions that frontal collisions are the most common type of accident. Only difference is your article states that is why the front is a safe place to be, while the rest say that it is the reason why we should put the child in the front seat as a last resort only. Cuz that is where the impact is from most of the time. I guess your article is saying that the front seat is ok for a child, but if possible, just use the rear seats.

It doesn't say that the front seat is safer. It just says that the front seat can be as safe contrary to popular belief. I agree with that. But if possible, I still put my child at the back as it is still the safest place furthest away from where most collisions occur.

It's up to you to believe decades old safety directions, or modern research conducted in the recent years.

You mentioned frontal collisions make up 75% of the accidents. Let me ask you a simple question: When there's a frontal collision, isn't somebody also being hit in the back? Take a look at your car -- where is the position of the front seats relative to the two wheels? If you don't know, the two front passengers are in the center of the car's wheelbase. Being in the middle gives the most space for front/rear crumple impact. ANYBODY is safer in the front than the rear.

Then what about the 25% of sideways collision? For the same reason, when a car spins out of control, it pivots near the center. If you hit a tree or barrier sideways, likelihood the rear passenger gets the worst impact. I spun off many times on a track to know what it feels like.

The only reason why I put the child seat in the rear in my own car is because the ISOFIX is available behind and that is inherently safer than those seats held down by seatbelts.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

It's up to you to believe decades old safety directions, or modern research conducted in the recent years.

You mentioned frontal collisions make up 75% of the accidents. Let me ask you a simple question: When there's a frontal collision, isn't somebody also being hit in the back? Take a look at your car -- where is the position of the front seats relative to the two wheels? If you don't know, the two front passengers are in the center of the car's wheelbase. Being in the middle gives the most space for front/rear crumple impact. ANYBODY is safer in the front than the rear.

Then what about the 25% of sideways collision? For the same reason, when a car spins out of control, it pivots near the center. If you hit a tree or barrier sideways, likelihood the rear passenger gets the worst impact. I spun off many times on a track to know what it feels like.

The only reason why I put the child seat in the rear in my own car is because the ISOFIX is available behind and that is inherently safer than those seats held down by seatbelts.

I chose to believe the recent articles. The articles i read were published between 2014 to 2016. Your article is from 2010. Majority of the article states that the rear middle seat is the safest if it has the 3 point harness. Front seat is always the last resort, with the exception of those where there are no adults at the back. No adults to help take care then got no choice but to put infront. All these articles are recent and within the past few years. Just google for images of cars damaged in front impact accidents lo. From the images, even in the safest cars, the front passenger sure sustain some injuries while the back usually untouched, provided they are wearing seatbelts.

Btw, your article isn't even saying front seats are safer or not. They are only saying why it is safe to put kids in the front.

Trafikverket – Swedish NHTSA (http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Trafiksakerhet/Din-sakerhet-pa-vagen/Sakerhet-i-bil/Barn-i-bil/Fragor-och-svar-om-barn-i-bilen/).  Please see question #10 "Ska barn sitta i framsätet eller baksätet?"

Translated:

"Should children sit in the front or rear seat?"

"The rear seat is in general safer – if we only look at the risks in a collision.  But this does not apply to children in rear facing seats.  As long as airbag is deactivated there is no difference in crash safety between front and rear seat.  One must of course weigh a younger child's need for more attention. If there is only one adult in the car it may be better to have the child in the front seat"

Anyway, I would prefer to trust the more recent articles and those that have many other articles/research to back it up. Instead of believing one article that was published 6 years ago and no other article that says similar things. I guess it is up to individual but for me, kids will still be at the back. I prefer to trust modern research conducted in recent years/this year than those done 6 years ago.

Edited by Nzy

I chose to believe the recent articles. The articles i read were published between 2014 to 2016. Your article is from 2010. Majority of the article states that the rear middle seat is the safest if it has the 3 point harness. Front seat is always the last resort, with the exception of those where there are no adults at the back. No adults to help take care then got no choice but to put infront. All these articles are recent and within the past few years. Just google for images of cars damaged in front impact accidents lo. From the images, even in the safest cars, the front passenger sure sustain some injuries while the back usually untouched, provided they are wearing seatbelts.

Anyway, I would prefer to trust the more recent articles and those that have many other articles/research to back it up. Instead of believing one article that was published 6 years ago and no other article that says similar things. I guess it is up to individual but for me, kids will still be at the back. I prefer to trust modern research conducted in recent years/this year than those done 6 years ago.

Share those articles then. I'm not surprised it's the same thing being parroted year after year. Just like somebody reading this thread will go "oh yah, in 2016 people also said rear seats are safer."

Regardless, drive safe.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Share those articles then. I'm not surprised it's the same thing being parroted year after year. Just like somebody reading this thread will go "oh yah, in 2016 people also said rear seats are safer."

Regardless, drive safe.

Trafikverket – Swedish NHTSA (http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Trafiksakerhet/Din-sakerhet-pa-vagen/Sakerhet-i-bil/Barn-i-bil/Fragor-och-svar-om-barn-i-bilen/).  Please see question #10 "Ska barn sitta i framsätet eller baksätet?"

Translated:

"The rear seat is in general safer – if we only look at the risks in a collision.  But this does not apply to children in rear facing seats.  As long as airbag is deactivated there is no difference in crash safety between front and rear seat.  One must of course weigh a younger child's need for more attention. If there is only one adult in the car it may be better to have the child in the front seat"

Translated:

Even the swedes feel the rear is generally safer. Just that there is no difference in crash safety between front and rear seat if rear facing seat is used. The only reason why they put the child in the front seat is if there is only one adult and they need to attend to the child. However, for me, if the child needs attention, I won't drive. I'll pull over somewhere and attend to my child before continuing my journey. Not safe to attend to a child while driving IMO regardless of where they are seated.

Edited by Nzy

Translated:

Even the swedes feel the rear is generally safer. Just that there is no difference in crash safety between front and rear seat if rear facing seat is used. The only reason why they put the child in the front seat is if there is only one adult and they need to attend to the child. However, for me, if the child needs attention, I won't drive. I'll pull over somewhere and attend to my child before continuing my journey. Not safe to attend to a child while driving IMO regardless of where they are seated.

I don't know what you are trying to debate here... I already did say in my original post 1 page back that

1. Front seats are safer (to reduce driver distractions)

2. It has to be rear-facing

3. Airbags have to be disabled

People AVOID front seats like as if they put their child there they will definitely die. It's totally wrong.

I see many people actually strapping their child in the seat incorrectly, and turning them front-facing too early. That's more unsafe than strapping them in correctly and placing them in the front seat.

Twincharged

I don't know what you are trying to debate here... I already did say in my original post 1 page back that

1. Front seats are safer (to reduce driver distractions)

2. It has to be rear-facing

3. Airbags have to be disabled

People AVOID front seats like as if they put their child there they will definitely die. It's totally wrong.

I see many people actually strapping their child in the seat incorrectly, and turning them front-facing too early. That's more unsafe than strapping them in correctly and placing them in the front seat.

Cuz it isn't safer what. Its just safe/safer than what we think. But in general the rear seat is safer. For most of us who have husband and wife travelling together. Better to have the baby behind and caretaker behind. Front seat still used as last resort if the driver is taking care of the child alone.

Edited by Nzy

Cuz it isn't safer what. Its just safe/safer than what we think. But in general the rear seat is safer. For most of us who have husband and wife travelling together. Better to have the baby behind and caretaker behind. Front seat still used as last resort if the driver is taking care of the child alone.

That's 'cos the discussion was about having 2 seats. I am recommending that 1 behind and 1 in front is perfectly fine for comfort of all passengers. 

since we are into SAFETY, then please get a child seat that can be rear facing for your child. there are such rear-facing seat for up to 25KG child. learn from the swedish. http://www.carseat.se/the-swedish-rear-facing-car-seat-approach/

but to me, as long as the child is in a child seat and secured correctly, then he is safe! there are many kids in the singapore that aren't in child seat.

lastly, please buy a car that receive excellent crash test rating. worry less, enjoy your ride and your time with the kids.

• Praise 1

do you have kids?

Twincharged

do you have kids?

Yup. 3 kids. I never drive with my kids crying or making noise. Either they stop crying/whining first or we don't go out.

Neutral Newbie

I also have 2 car seats at the back row and 2 adults sit in front. Only if there's a 3rd adult travelling then there's an adult accompanying the kids at the back. Kids are 1 yr & 3 yr old.

No feeding or diaper change while driving even if there's an adult at the back seat with kids.

I guess my kids are used to being in a car seats, only the 1st few months they have an adult accompanying them at the back.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros,

I'm in the similar situation with the TS and are looking for a new ride to replace my out going Swift.

Any recommendations for which car I should be aiming for ?

Ideally, the car should be able to fit 2 child seat with my wife sitting in the middle.

Also, prefer to be 2nd hand car instead new. Can't really afford brand new now.

TIA

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1