How to train the chin up?

Quantum

Mai kay kay lah, last time I saw you, on-board plane still can lift heavy bag into the cabin compartment. Sap sap water. [laugh]

Errr, last time is 1.9m/65kg. Now is 1.9m/98kg. Power to weight ratio gone case liao

Lift heavy bag(airline limit of 20kg per person) still can but trying to lift 98kg(myself) up and down 6 times will die leh.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

My daily home workout as follows:

1 set of 50 normal push-ups, then rest 5mins

1 set of 50 diamond push-ups, then rest 5mins

1 set of 50 diamond push-ups, then rest 5mins

Total: 300 push-ups

It is important to train regularly at chin-up bar to condition the muscle.

I did 26 chin-ups during one of my reservist IPPT test.

lower the chin up bar. <_<

Cannot leh, PTI will scream at u!!! I tip toe can do 20 chin up bouncing off the floor. Then PTI come and scream at my ear, NO COUNT!!! Bend ur knees!!! No touching of floor.

In my heart, not my fault that ur chin up bar is low. [laugh]

Hi All,

My relative now is at Pulau Tekong BMTC, but he is difficult to pass the chin-up test [:(]

can anyone how to achive the goal [:)]

tks alot

If he is already enlisted in the army then no need to worry, the PTI there will be able to help him to improve his chin-up.

only way to train for chin up is to do chin up. (unless he got access to those machine assisted chin up machine)

the guy can do 2? that's ok.

get him to do 1. but do it 10 times over a period of say 20 minutes.

repeat before breakfast, lunch, dinner n if still good, before bedtime.

then after about 3 days, do 2. same thing 10 times.

and then 3 x 10, maybe 4, 5.

after, can drop the repetition to 5 time. but increase the number of pull each time to at least 5 or 6 when on the bar. (idea is to hit about 30 or more per session.)

if that's too boring, then he might want to do the step ladder style. ie: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

start with 1, stop. then remount, do 2, stop, dismount etc.

another trick for chin up is the training of the hand grip. that is worth another 1 or 2 extra pulls.

many of them is extremely weak in holding the bar tight. underhand, overhand doesn't really matter. a good grip helps both technique.

Ok we fix 15 years deal at the chin up bar, 风雨不改,不见不散!!! [cool]

lost one go jump yellow river, but must make sure that day got heavy rain, if not no floor no mud, where got yellow river (aka muddy river)!!! [laugh][laugh]

15yrs, kns lah, 15yrs, give you 3 months also sure chow donno where liow, don't need 15yrs.

Tomorrow night ai mai? No need yellow river, Japanese Garden not bad, at night now got lights! [laugh] [laugh]

Errr, last time is 1.9m/65kg. Now is 1.9m/98kg. Power to weight ratio gone case liao

Lift heavy bag(airline limit of 20kg per person) still can but trying to lift 98kg(myself) up and down 6 times will die leh.

Use stool lor. [laugh] [laugh]

Cannot leh, PTI will scream at u!!! I tip toe can do 20 chin up bouncing off the floor. Then PTI come and scream at my ear, NO COUNT!!! Bend ur knees!!! No touching of floor.

In my heart, not my fault that ur chin up bar is low. [laugh]

Si bey how lian. [laugh] [laugh]

Grease the groove

Step 1. - Buy a chin up bar, and install it in a place you walk by often - outside kitchen, bedroom etc. Please invest in a good one, I've broken cheap ones before. Am using Wendler now - extremely sturdy.

Step 2. - Everytime you walk by it, do max/2, aka if you can do a max set of 10, do 5. If you can do 2, then do 1 chinup everytime you walk by. Aim for at least 5 sets throughout the day.

After 2 weeks, check max - it should have increased. Then redo the rep set.

It also helps to reduce your body weight - the lighter you are, the easier it gets.

For those who cannot do even a single one, jump up and use momentum to pull yourself above the bar. Then take 10/20/30 sec (scaling according to strength and difficulty) to lower yourself from the bar, get someone with a stopwatch to time you. At least 4 sets/day.

If you can do 10 for example, and find yourself at a plateau, do steps 1 and 2, but carry a backpack with a dictionary in it. Over time, add the number of dictionaries in the bag.

I no how siao one leh. U seen me b4, u should know I'm telling the truth. :D

Yeah, die die also 26 chin ups easy. Me cannot even lift myself. -_-

Neutral Newbie

no need worry ur ah boy la, in bmtc, there only eat sleep workout, after 3mth the brain vitamin is cut off & the rest of the limbs get the extra vitamins, many ex-platoon mate do ZERO pull-up first 2mth but after grad fit nuff to go sispec as platoon sergeant trainee

Hi All,

My relative now is at Pulau Tekong BMTC, but he is difficult to pass the chin-up test [:(]

can anyone how to achive the goal [:)]

tks alot

I used to do 2 chin ups.

Pull Max, rest for 1 min, pull again, rest for 3 mins & pull again X 3 sets a day.

End of BMT, I did 14 chins up.

Months later in Unit, did 20 chins up.

3 months before ORD, 28 chins ups.

Chin up: I am good with the plam facing away from you and able to pull that much.

If that plam is facing to me, I can only do 16.

I feel it is easier to start with plam towards you until you reach 6 then reverse to train other muscle group.

Lastly, I have a buddy pulling +30 as he carry 10kgs of weight when he is pulling chin ups.

post-74845-1304066658_thumb.jpg

for those who can't do even 1 chin-up, it'll be a great help if u can get access to one of these machines in the gym.....(speaking as someone who never did a chin-up during NS but eventually made the breakthrough later in his 20s)

Hypersonic

Wa lau... everyone keep saying do and do until can pull. Why nobody say anything about the technique?

Breathing is important too. Must know how to breath! Not everyone know that leh. When pulling up must breath in, coming down breath out. Also when pulling up, try to jerk/swing yourself. Do not just pull vertically up. That one wait until he very zai then can.

Wa lau... everyone keep saying do and do until can pull. Why nobody say anything about the technique?

Breathing is important too. Must know how to breath! Not everyone know that leh. When pulling up must breath in, coming down breath out. Also when pulling up, try to jerk/swing yourself. Do not just pull vertically up. That one wait until he very zai then can.

I dont think its a good idea to tell him to jerk/swing, it may become a habit and it will be disqualified by the PTI during IPPT.

No kicking, jerking or swinging when doing chin up.

Seen many ppl doing kicking and jerking during chin up at reservist IPPT, kena no count by PTI. Waste their energy only. Can pull means can pull, cannot pull, just let go. Save energy for other events.

Turbocharged

1.8m/70kg i think is under weight leh..........I think his arm and shoulder is not strong enough. he need to also learn the vertical wave up, but not swinging, that way can save some energy.

Underweight? Maybe, according to BMI. But now to do chin-up, actually easier if he weighs less [laugh]

e.g. I could do 12 or so when young and weighing 50 kg; now more than +10 kg later... after 5 already struggling [laugh]. I don't think my arms grow weaker (in fact maybe stronger from carrying kids and grocery shopping, compared to youthful days), but the additional weight overcome any increase in strength...

↡ Advertisement