MM lee says 80% of Global foundries are Singaporeans

Wind30

Turbocharged

I read ST today.

It says "Over at Global Foundries, a semiconductor firm, six in 10 of its 5000 mostly skilled works are Singaporeans. Among Managers and professionals, the proportion of singaporeans is even higher at 80%"

I am REALLY surprised by the number.

My wife works as an engineer in Global foundries, TD department.

Her dept has 8 people. 1 singaporean (my wife), 4 PRs, 1 indonesian, 1 myamar, 1 PRC.

80% singaporeans??????

↡ Advertisement

I read ST today.

It says "Over at Global Foundries, a semiconductor firm, six in 10 of its 5000 mostly skilled works are Singaporeans. Among Managers and professionals, the proportion of singaporeans is even higher at 80%"

Her dept has 8 people. 1 singaporean (my wife), 4 PRs, 1 indonesian, 1 myamar, 1 PRC.

80% singaporeans??????

maybe he talking about the paylah! [wave] if he compares the whole dept pay to his, wat will the percentage be like? :angry: :angry:

Turbocharged

I heard from some China friends that some Chinese nationals convert to Singapore citizenship before returning to China to work.

Being "Singaporeans" working in China, they pay a lower tax there. Can someone verify that this is true?

ironically, Global Foundries ( formal chartered semicon) was previously like state owned with majory investment by Temesek Holding.

Unfornately, they had sold of majority to Abu Dhabi's Advanced Technology Investment Co. (ATIC) with stake from about 68 percent to 70 percent.

So singaporean working there could be significantly reduced.

Abu Dhabi

if this is true, then i understand why china superstar convert to sporean and yet their work is based and lived in china

they definitely not eyeing hdb/bto/dbss, childcare subsidy, healthcare subsidy, and certainly not singapore growth share [laugh]

I heard from some China friends that some Chinese nationals convert to Singapore citizenship before returning to China to work.

Being "Singaporeans" working in China, they pay a lower tax there. Can someone verify that this is true?

Edited by Wt_know

Neutral Newbie

When I was there one year back, only 2 engrs including me r local. Rest of the ten engrs r FT hoh

Edited by Yooyoo99

Chartered Semicom!!

While i was working there 10 years ago, everyday i see more black "outsider" than local, easily 50/50.

As usual, lumping PRs as locals again. How abt the number of true blue Singaporeans?

Maybe it is true to a certain extent, after Chartered was being sold, a large number of PRCs actually jumped ship to rivals like SMIC, one example is the director of a division in TD.

When I was there, your 10 fingers can be used to count the number of true S'poreans in each dept. Taking their figure of 5000 staffs, 3/4 or more are operators. And PRCs form the majority, followed far behind are M'sians and Indians fm India. The rest of the minority are pinyos, burmese and indonesians.

The remaining 1/4 Execuitive level onwards, almost another half (conserative figure) are Singaporeans. The rest fill in the blanks fm the above list.

Even being sold off, the management is still ex-Chartered people, the former just got anothet boss on top,

My friend still keep his china Hu Kou

Seriously MM needs to understand the ground more by experiencing himself and not listen to the good news fed to him.

If as what he mentioned that we need another 900k foreigners to come in, he should seriously review the situation at the former Chartered Semicon.

Since 2000, there is a large influx of PRCs into the TD dept. Anyway that is the R&D arm. Since then, Chartered had been making losses every quarter, to the extent the share price dropped to a few cents and diluted to 1:10. Their total losses i believed exceed US1 billion. If these "foreign talents" are so capable, why did Chartered lag behind the Taiwanese by 2 generations? And also, if these FTs can contribute and not coming here as economic refugees, why is their TD unable to catch up in more advanced technologies on their own and have to collibrate with IBM to catch up? The license fee paid to them for using their process us at least US$40+ million annually.

And unknown to the outside world, a few of these FTs were sued for stealing their technologies and bringing over to SMIC. And SMIC which is a PRC coy is well known for these stunts. Taiwan's TSMC also tried to sue them for the same cause. Just google for the news article.

So tell me, what positive things can these FTs really contribute. My stint at Chartered totally changed my perceptions of these FTs.

I manage a team of around 10 in GlobalFoundries, all executive

There are only 2 born in Spore citizen (me included).

2 more New Citizen (1 Msia, 1 PRC)

Rest are PRs from Msia and PRC.

In my Department.

of ard 30 Executives, 8 Born in Spore Citizen, 4 New Citizens, rest are PRs.

U do the maths....

Seriously MM needs to understand the ground more by experiencing himself and not listen to the good news fed to him.

u sure he was misinformed! or is it it was the master plan planned by the master himself [smash][smash]

My friend still keep his china Hu Kou

this one we know and so is the ft from the land of prats and tosais! my coollling colleague from the former just returned to their homeland fully loaded [rifle][rifle]

Last ditch caressing for support,admitting all is lost? <_<

If this is it, then it's another own goal.

For some time people have stopped talking about Chartered's losses ever since it was sold.

Now he just reminded people about it again. Billions are invested, yet it was sold at a fire sale.

Isn't this akin to raiding the reserves?

How about refreshing the memory of everyone again on the closure of Micropolis?

I read ST today.

80% singaporeans??????

Definition of Singaporeans include PR. You need to accept this fact (after a lie has been told often enough, it becomes a fact).

1 SG + 4 PR = 5 / 8 = 62.5%

The PRC likely would be taking up PR so 6 / 8 = 75%. Round up 80% loh. Can lah. Can argue.

I was there left about 6 years ago as Engineer. They have a FT SM (Indian) and this fellow start recruiting all his fellow countryman. Earlier around Y2K a Myamar manager also start recruiting his fellow country man and offer him very high position and worst of all this fellow knows nuts about the system. I deem this practise as abuse of authority.

Really dont understand why our garment need so much of these ppl. Really disappointed with them.

↡ Advertisement