Why are Aljunied voters very important...

Shull

Turbocharged

This article is written by a close buddy of mine.. It highlights why the whole Singapore's non-PAP supporters is pinning it's hope on voters in Aljunied.

Original article here

I happened to stumble upon this note by Janice Huang which has been making rounds on facebook. I thought it was well written and a good indication of how some youths are reacting to the current approach of the WP in their campaigning. Nonetheless, I find myself disagreeing with the main points which she tries to bring up. For those who has not seen the original note, it can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/notes/janice-huang...150279658988765

It might be good to read the original note before reading this note.

The 2 points she brought up are:

1. The battle for Aljunied GRC is NOT the battle for "Singapore's future".

2. The WP is only ensuring its OWN survival, not the survival of the opposition.

I would like to point out that these 2 points are only half-accurate. Here's why.

1. The battle for Aljunied GRC is NOT the battle for "Singapore's future".

The battle for Aljunied GRC, or any other parliamentary seat for that matter, IS about Singapore's future, and should NEVER be about the welfare for the residents.

Singapore, unlike many other countries in the world, is actually very, very homogeneous. The majority of Singaporeans are either: studying, working for a GLC, MNC, SME or the civil service, doing National Service or retired. Unlike other countries, we do not have Agriculture vs. Industry lobbies, nor do we have say, Mining vs. Environmental groups jostling for political power. This means that the elected government would never have to face trade-offs due to partisan demands unlike in other countries. This also means, that the elected government would never have any trouble in looking after the welfare of Singaporeans, NO MATTER THEIR AREA OF RESIDENCE.

Unfortunately, the PAP government, by linking votes to upgrading and estate enhancement pledges, has made voters myopic and only focused on their immediate vicinity instead of the greater Singapore. Improving the lives of all Singaporeans is the job of the government, period.

Not only Aljunied GRC residents, all voters must bear the responsibility for

↡ Advertisement

George yeo is a nice guy.... Sad to lose him if aljuined loses.

Like 1 mcfer say, if only the elite WP has contested other wards with mbt or wks instead

Edited by Galantspeedz

Turbocharged

Like 1 mcfer say, if only the elite WP has contested other wards with mbt or wks instead

True lah.. but in 2006, where they won 40+% of the votes, they know their basic level of support already. I think the vote swing from the younger generation this time round may work to their advantage.

Anyway, as George Yeo says, may the best team win..

True lah.. but in 2006, where they won 40+% of the votes, they know their basic level of support already. I think the vote swing from the younger generation this time round may work to their advantage.

Anyway, as George Yeo says, may the best team win..

I feel George yeo is one of those that has gone about doing his work silently.

Anyway let god decide.... People that know him will know y I say this lol

I feel George yeo is one of those that has gone about doing his work silently.

Anyway let god decide.... People that know him will know y I say this lol

Doing the same thing expecting a diffrent result...

Timidness is so boring

i don't think WP has a choice, they will stand in aljunied.

1. they managed to garner a very high % there last time.

2. they worked the ground during the 5 years

3. its next to hougang and they may need to leverage the economies of scale for the town council funds

4. regardless of which good or bad ministar is there, this is not about the minister.. its about national issues. if MBT is kicked out there, that's a bonus. its just too bad he is not there.

5. George Yeo can surface elsewhere.. if PAP thinks he is such a talent, there will be strings they will pull. if not then he has outlived his usefulness to PAP. George can contribute through outher avenues if LHL doesn't want him. (if you notice, they are not very close)

6. WP contesting in WKS or MBT GRC is very risky. true there are people who don't like them in their GRC.. but if you consider that most people CANNOT think and just vote blindly PAP regardless of MBT and WKS mistakes and to make them accountable.. there is just much to risk to believe these people will come out to support.

based on the above, aljunied is still the logical choice.. lower risk, they know the ground and they need the economy of scale.

Understand perfectly.

It is a lose lose situation whichever who wins... Impact will be more on WP though

But this time I feel, will be a very very close fight...

Turbocharged

Yap, just like PP.... may the best team win...... let it be a gentleman battle..... both teams have work hard and each got their points and the important is... they are working for the good of Singapore......

Wont be surprise to see either Pro MIW or Pro Oppo (must be frank likely to be Pro Oppo gang)..... if either one lost, esp Oppo... come here kpkb say vote was sabotage, kelong, Aljunied voter blind, stupid etc etc and all sort of nonense comment....

Respect the choice of the voters...... whichever team it is.....

Understand perfectly.

It is a lose lose situation whichever who wins... Impact will be more on WP though

George Yeo can go for next President Contestantcy.. Win win situation.. [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Yewheng

Understand perfectly.

i beg to differ.. how is it a lose lose situation?

if WP lose, then its a Big lose situation because no other GRC stand a higher chance to send such high quality candidates in. not a single candidate is a DUD (like TPL)

If George lose, he can still surface elsewhere, his loss is less because his talent is still not lost for singapore. he has other avenues to go to. Where does all the WP candidates go? they are not going to get a gahmen appointment..

people should not forget how the system works. this is exactly what people do not THINK about.

Turbocharged

i don't think WP has a choice, they will stand in aljunied.

1. they managed to garner a very high % there last time.

2. they worked the ground during the 5 years

3. its next to hougang and they may need to leverage the economies of scale for the town council funds

4. regardless of which good or bad ministar is there, this is not about the minister.. its about national issues. if MBT is kicked out there, that's a bonus. its just too bad he is not there.

5. George Yeo can surface elsewhere.. if PAP thinks he is such a talent, there will be strings they will pull. if not then he has outlived his usefulness to PAP. George can contribute through outher avenues if LHL doesn't want him. (if you notice, they are not very close)

6. WP contesting in WKS or MBT GRC is very risky. true there are people who don't like them in their GRC.. but if you consider that most people CANNOT think and just vote blindly PAP regardless of MBT and WKS mistakes and to make them accountable.. there is just much to risk to believe these people will come out to support.

based on the above, aljunied is still the logical choice.. lower risk, they know the ground and they need the economy of scale.

Hmmm... will it be consider a freak result if MIW win Aljunied and lose Tampines.... [:p][laugh] ...

Hmmm... will it be consider a freak result if MIW win Aljunied and lose Tampines.... [:p][laugh] ...

i won't be surprised if post-election press conference, any lost seats will be called "freak results" by LHL. [laugh]

i beg to differ.. how is it a lose lose situation?

if WP lose, then its a Big lose situation because no other GRC stand a higher chance to send such high quality candidates in. not a single candidate is a DUD (like TPL)

If George lose, he can still surface elsewhere, his loss is less because his talent is still not lost for singapore. he has other avenues to go to. Where does all the WP candidates go? they are not going to get a gahmen appointment..

people should not forget how the system works. this is exactly what people do not THINK about.

That's y I say the impact will be more on WP. Yes george yep may be able to surface elsewhere.... But may not necessarily do so... That what I am trying to say...

That's y I say the impact will be more on WP. Yes george yep may be able to surface elsewhere.... But may not necessarily do so... That what I am trying to say...

George yeo, maybe he will not want to serve in gahmen.. but as an army man, and his engineering background not really useful now.. there is little else he can do.. at his level, must be CEO or Chairman level.. only can go glc..

i think after the election, if george lose his seat.. it will be very interesting to see where he goes.. and it only goes to confirm what everyone has been saying all along..

Turbocharged

i would say a freak result is when amk fallen.... [laugh]

you guys dont have to worry for georgie lar, TT durian can have a 20k+ job waiting for him, im sure there are better offer for him in the pipeline if he lose.. dont forget, they can get better paid job outside of politic... [laugh]

Please do not worry about him. Rest assured that he has enough moolah to last another few lifetimes from his world class paycheck for so many years. As for the position of Foreign Minister, I can double confirm that the present government has enough talents to fill it easily. Examples include the stomper TPL and Steve Tan. Our future are in good hands!

Granted he may be a nice guy compared to some others, the time has come~ Singapore needs more voices to slow down the influx of FTs.

Like what SL said, look at it as we're helping him retire early. Can have more time to enjoy life and smell the roses.

Edited by Kungming

Yup, George Yeo is indeed a nice guy. actually pm should send mbt or wks to aljunied.

↡ Advertisement