Workers Party's best shot now

Spurman

Supercharged

Copy-Pasting the whole note for easy reading.

I happened to stumble upon this note by Janice Huang which has been making rounds on facebook. I thought it was well written and a good indication of how some youths are reacting to the current approach of the WP in their campaigning. Nonetheless, I find myself disagreeing with the main points which she tries to bring up. For those who has not seen the original note, it can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/notes/janice...50279658988765

It might be good to read the original note before reading this note.

The 2 points she brought up are:

1. The battle for Aljunied GRC is NOT the battle for "Singapore's future".

2. The WP is only ensuring its OWN survival, not the survival of the opposition.

I would like to point out that these 2 points are only half-accurate. Here's why.

1. The battle for Aljunied GRC is NOT the battle for "Singapore's future".

The battle for Aljunied GRC, or any other parliamentary seat for that matter, IS about Singapore's future, and should NEVER be about the welfare for the residents.

Singapore, unlike many other countries in the world, is actually very, very homogeneous. The majority of Singaporeans are either: studying, working for a GLC, MNC, SME or the civil service, doing National Service or retired. Unlike other countries, we do not have Agriculture vs. Industry lobbies, nor do we have say, Mining vs. Environmental groups jostling for political power. This means that the elected government would never have to face trade-offs due to partisan demands unlike in other countries. This also means, that the elected government would never have any trouble in looking after the welfare of Singaporeans, NO MATTER THEIR AREA OF RESIDENCE.

Unfortunately, the PAP government, by linking votes to upgrading and estate enhancement pledges, has made voters myopic and only focused on their immediate vicinity instead of the greater Singapore. Improving the lives of all Singaporeans is the job of the government, period.

Not only Aljunied GRC residents, all voters must bear the responsibility for

↡ Advertisement