Why will you buy a compact Continental car?

Pinkypink

Is that what you think? That the entry level Conti cars are for people to show off that they can afford a Conti badge?

something like that la. Paying for the badge to be more exact. Anyway nowadays with the increasing population of continental cars, japanese cars seems to be more exclusive.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

compact Conti can't pack in the kids? depends on how many kids you have..?

compact conti behind can sit how many? true that you can still sit 3, but it will be damn uncomfortable for the passengers behind.

Or if you get mini or scirroco, its a 2+2. want squeeze more also cannot. den MIL FIL leh? Maid leh?

If you get big cars like camry at least smelly smelly can squeeze 4 behind, just dun get caught. Or better still, can get a MPV liao.

i m more practical. i rather buy a jap car than a compact conti

compact conti more for ladies and maybe single ppl. however i still think its more sensible to get bigger space with the same price, at least i can load my ikea furnitures =)

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

most compact continental cars like VW golf, polo etc series uses 1.4 TSI 2009 award winning

engine, which have both turbocharger and supercharger.

In layman terms it can achieve the torque/speed performance of a ordinary 1.6Litre car

which does not have these. In road tax terms, pay lower road tax of 1.4L while enjoy 1.6L

performance, also savings in fuel consumption per litre of mileage etc

but nothing is for free, the maintennance cost of european cars, parts, etc is more expensive

also these type of high compression ratio, forced induction technology on aluminium body engine

caused the ignition cylinder to warp/melt due to the extreme high temperature.

simply these type of german technology is not reliable (cannot be used for long life time) only

japanese cars is best most reliable.

for the same price as the continental car pls get a japanese luxury car, say lexus IS250, the

engine is solid cast iron very stable and quiet reliability is assured.

Edited by Hamtaroo

i m more practical. i rather buy a jap car than a compact conti

compact conti more for ladies and maybe single ppl. however i still think its more sensible to get bigger space with the same price, at least i can load my ikea furnitures =)

buy nissan lorry lor

Buy car must see the cheap price.

Now conti small cars are super value for money!!

The safety features and engine technology....you can only dream in a Jap car of the same price.

VW has been gaining its market share, partly due to competitive pricing since VW took back the distribution back from the previous firm. With COE prices at the current levels, it also makes sense to buy their cars especially with their not-too-bad technologies.

Not sure about the costs of maintenance and repairs though, as well as resale values... time will tell. [:)]

However, putting price / performance aside, in tiny Spore with lots of stop-go-stop-go traffic where handling and power etc dont really matter, cars from Korea / Jap are still good enough except for their prices at this moment.

ok should be "I buy a compact conti car because I haven't worked hard enough to buy a decent one and I want to show off that I drive a conti" [laugh] [laugh]

Actually driving a conti is no big deal....... it's how you drive and behave on the road that matters.... 'face' can carry us not very far, whereas safe driving regardless fast or slow, bring us home :D

To give the image of a yuppie lifestyle

To tell people you drive a conti

To tell people that I have not really made it yet but I am up and coming

To pay lower road tax and get same power using the super and turbo charge route <----- not a bad thinking! [thumbsup]

Because I cannot afford a Audi A5, BMW 325, or Passat 4motion

Maybe because they are cheaper compared to normal Sedans/Saloons?

Then there is the mentality that conti needs it must be better.....

For me, I won't go for conti compact unless there are some really good features which jap/korean/malaysian brands can't provide.

Right now, I am driving a Malaysian compact and don't see anything being inferior other than interior doesn't look at good, sound proofing not as well as well. But then, hey, its much cheaper and lighter and handles just as well or even better.

Btw, the most important thing to me about cars is cheap and easy to maintain. Cheap means spare parts don't cost an arm and a leg. Easy to maintain means its well designed so I can access areas in the engine bay easily or don't have to rip out dozens of things just to replace a filter.

If not take out battery need special tool to reset ecu, change tyre also need to reset ecu etc..... This is stupid......

End of the day, i think it's about the best car you can buy with your budget....buying and affording are two different matters...for example i can buy a brand new cayman but doesn't mean I can afford it...besides cars are depreciating assets....everytime i buy a brand new car i will regret it later when i sell it off...i had owned 2 brand new cars and about 6 used cars leow...for example there is this f430 on sales with 4 owners but if you drive it to zouk who the hell will know? all the chicks there will still dig you...i mean let you dig.. haha

because you havent work hard enough to get a decent continental car and want to go around tell ppl you drive a conti, that's why.

got one fellow in mcf driving a chevy cruz, and he can say its a conti car. skin very thick

Why not? The conti cars are getting relatively cheaper than Jap cars of late. The feel good factor (of course is subjective) is also there.

↡ Advertisement