YOU are only worth this much

Ah_tee

i think $75 can hav nice massage

Anyway the cost will be alot alot higher around $200 each as those fee paying stidents are oso subsidised with our tax payer $ by around 20k per yr..the research studen , masters and phds sch fees are alot

Hihger and their allowance are quite hight toozz

So u ppl get the idea?

My parents pay for their education so that they can compete with me to get jobs..

↡ Advertisement

i totally agree w u........

so, what made these FTs from china or india so special that our government spent such a huge amount of tax payer $ to recruit them?

they can do things singaporeans can't?

they can win a olympic silver because true born and bred singaporean chinese,malay and indians can't?

what's the point of BUYING the top athletes from china and win a olympic silver?is there any honour and pride in this?

it's just like using someone's arse and put it on your face.

when the table tennis team won a olympic silver, i am not proud at all, because almost the whole team are imports from china.

only the lackeys are proud of it, yes buying their way thru just for a olympic medal.

i am more proud of joseclin yeo, ang peng siong, fandi ahmad who never even won any olympic medal as these are true singaporeans.

as a singaporean who was born here and served my ns duties, i am sad to see and hear that almost in all MNC coys here, there are almost near half of whom are from foreign countries like china/india/malaysia/indonesia/philippines.i don't see any things extraordinary produced by them which locals can't and i have friends in the same industry being jobless for 6mths to 1 year before landing a job and their last salary / price being pushed down.

so good for giving some of our best 2.5 years serving the country getting peanuts(really) while the others came here with the security that we provide and the expense of our tax payer money and in return, taking up our jobs and housing.

btw, i am not against doing NS and i strongly support the mandate of the NS.

i won't be surprised almost all 'newly converted' citizens would vote for the P8P.

so vote wisely, your future is in your hand.

we don't need another 800K quota floodgate opening for foreigners.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Please take a good look at the page you are referring to, it says "Research Staff". These people are in a very specific area of research (photonics), and if you look at research labs anywhere around the world - be it Cambridge, Harvard, ANY university - the research groups are ALWAYS full of people from all nations and ethnicities. That is the nature of research, it is an INTERNATIONAL playground.

Here's an example of research staff in Harvard, take a good look at how not all of them are Americans:

http://www.aranylab.org/people.htm

Sure, we can hire all Singaporeans in our local research lab, but then our competitiveness will never rival that of the top universities. If we insist on hiring only Singaporeans, we would be no better than Malaysia's bumiputera system. And you seen how well that policy works for Malaysia - despite all their resources, they remain slow in growth, high in corruption, a lot more backwards than Singapore. Think about it -would you rather Singapore companies hire only Singaporeans, but be laughed at by the world for how lousy their work is?

A number of PRC research staff (many of whom are working and taking postgraduate studies at the same time) in our local universities have very poor written and spoken ability. Try to write an English email to them and look at their reply, you would get what I mean. You could mistake them for a primary 3 kid who haven't quite pass the English exam. This is especially true for those who completed their first basic degree in their home country and came here to do their postgraduate studies.

Imagine they were to submit research papers to some international journal. The panel would have very poor opinion of our university based on the bad English alone. Have you attended a conference presented by a PRC postgraduate? If you have, you should get what I mean.

University ranking is decided by the amount of good quality papers published in the international journals. If the PRC research staff are so good, why would NTU's ranking drop so drastically over the year?

It's true that we might need a few FTs in the research field. Unfortunately, for all we know, there seems to be a lack of QC inspection, and look at the numbers they are coming in.

Have faith in our fellow Singaporeans. Singaporeans may not be so "lousy" as you have thought (in your last sentence).

Edited by Albeniz

A number of PRC research staff (many of whom are working and taking postgraduate studies at the same time) in our local universities have very poor written and spoken ability. Try to write an English email to them and look at their reply, you would get what I mean. You could mistake them for a primary 3 kid who haven't quite pass the English exam. This is especially true for those who completed their first basic degree in their home country and came here to do their postgraduate studies.

Imagine they were to submit research papers to some international journal. The panel would have very poor opinion of our university based on the bad English alone. Have you attended a conference presented by a PRC postgraduate? If you have, you should get what I mean.

University ranking is decided by the amount of good quality papers published in the international journals. If the PRC research staff are so good, why would NTU's ranking drop so drastically over the year?

It's true that we might need a few FTs in the research field. Unfortunately, for all we know, there seems to be a lack of QC inspection, and look at the numbers they are coming in.

Have faith in our fellow Singaporeans. Singaporeans may not be so "lousy" as you have thought (in your last sentence).

Not a really fair statement. At best you can say their standard of English is not fanastic, but this can be improved with times.

For a country where English is our first language, our spoken & written English wasn't all that fanastic as well. I regularly meet people whose first language is not English but can speak much better (without strong accent as well) than a typical Singaporean. Often you look at TV, when they did interviews, many people can be seen, having problem with public speaking also.

Turbocharged

My brother pay for his education so that he can compete with me to get jobs..

nb, u like to dig up 2yo threads siboh? [:|]

nb, u like to dig up 2yo threads siboh? [:|]

spamming lor <_<

never mind he can only make it to 5 post, can report him now [laugh]

is there a way we can share this to every Singaporean ???

let them know this can pressure our garment ...

if post on FB will we kanna anything ???

is there a way we can share this to every Singaporean ???

let them know this can pressure our garment ...

if post on FB will we kanna anything ???

Sounds like a positive suggestion [:)] , unlike some posts here [rolleyes]

no need to give baby bonus,

no need to cater child care facilities

no need to give leaves to parents.

pay $

wait for 4 yrs can get ready to work adults

not good plan meh ?

Twincharged

ok wat.. she's working in MNC so already contributing to SG GDP. worth the investment to bring her in..

when i was her age at 24, i was still studying. Not contributing anything to SG yet.

[laugh]

(edited)

This is a good thread to dig up.

Are the gov still doing this? Wow. all expense paid. we literally 'owe them a living'!

even if they are still doing it, they are will be doing it with more discretion.

They just need to made some slight changes to the current policy, and things still the same.......Change soup name, but never change the ingredient.

Anyway, probably some of you may be aware....

Many 2nd generations PRs, upon completing the A levels exams, immediate terminate their PRs, and go study Uni overseas, so that they dont get bounded by the NS, and dont come back. And those that usually does this, perform well academically, and they know their 'A' level results will be good without needing to wait for it to be announce.

They just terminate and fly back to their home country, wait for actual result slip, and apply for Uni in other countries.

So, in the end, we did not get the cream of the crop, per what the gov anticipated...rather the other way round, where those that stays probably do not have a better option or alternative. [knife]

Edited by Perseus76

Just for instant:

If you need to deliver a parcel from location A to B, and there is absolutely no one to take the task accept a DOG shaking his tail willing to do anything for you as long as you give him a bone. So, you tie your parcel to this dog and throw the bone to location B. The dog will chase as fast as possible for the bone.

The dog get the bone, and you get your parcel delivered. What's next? you may like to keep the dog as a "pet' or just shot it.

I doubt how many understand what I am trying to say???

↡ Advertisement