Pangkor Island or Kenyir Lake?

Quantum

Planning to self-drive to Malaysia in comming school holiday,

anyone has experience for above 2 destination kindly sharing here [:)]

↡ Advertisement

I believe you need boat ride to island and hotel should be fully booked already. The other one can drive there and back, if hotel not fully booked out, too.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, just came back from Pangkor island. For Pangkor island, you need to park your car somewhere and take boat across to Pangkor island. I went with AA so we park our car in Swiss Garden and they look after our car while we were on Pangkor.

You can always stay on the mainland around Lumut, doing Pangkor as a day trip. There's really nothing on the island so a day is all you need to look-see. Just rent the pink coloured van taxi to take you around. Then on mainland, you can visit the surrounding area like Ipoh, the small town where there's a leaning tower (can't remember the name), the haunted mansion, etc.

Sorry, have not been to Kenyir.... so can't tell you anything on that.

Neutral Newbie

Kenyir Lake is a nice place to drive to, but it's far more tiring than Pangkor. The view is amazing though.

For Kenyir, either take trunk route (shorter) or highway (longer) SG-KL-Karak-Kenyir.

Supercharged

Need advice from those who have been to Kenyir.

From it's website, they have listed 2 routes.

Can I know which one is shorter?

Option 1: Singapore - Johor Bahru - Kota Tinggy(Johor) - Mersing(Johor) - Kuantan(Pahang) - Pekan(Pehang)

- Kuantan(Pahang) - Cherating(Pahang) - Dungun(Terengganu) - Ketengah Jaya(Terengganu) - Bukit Besi (Terengganu) - Ajil(Terengganu) - Kuala Berang(Terengganu) - Lake Kenyir Resort & Spa

Duration: Approximately 8 hours

Option 2: Singapore - Johor Bahru - Yong Peng(Johor) - Segamat(Johor) - Kuantan(Pahang) - Cherating(Pahang) -

Dungun(Terengganu) - Ketengah Jaya(Terengganu) - Bukit Besi(Terengganu) - Ajil(Terengganu) - Kuala Berang(Terengganu) - Lake Kenyir Resort & Spa

I am looking to go Lake Kenyir (4D/3N) and Malacca(2D/1N). Which one should I go first if I am gg to do back-to-back?

Lastly, can recommend good map cos I scared get lost gg to Lake Kenyir. Many thanks :)

Pangkor is a s--t place, when there last october. place is very rundown. nothing to do. lake kenyir is a very choice. but break the journey into a few stops. it is very tiring to drive alone.

Option 1: Singapore - Johor Bahru - Kota Tinggy(Johor) - Mersing(Johor) - Kuantan(Pahang) - Pekan(Pehang)

- Kuantan(Pahang) - Cherating(Pahang) - Dungun(Terengganu) - Ketengah Jaya(Terengganu) - Bukit Besi (Terengganu) - Ajil(Terengganu) - Kuala Berang(Terengganu) - Lake Kenyir Resort & Spa

Option 2: Singapore - Johor Bahru - Yong Peng(Johor) - Segamat(Johor) - Kuantan(Pahang) - Cherating(Pahang) -

Dungun(Terengganu) - Ketengah Jaya(Terengganu) - Bukit Besi(Terengganu) - Ajil(Terengganu) - Kuala Berang(Terengganu) - Lake Kenyir Resort & Spa

I am looking to go Lake Kenyir (4D/3N) and Malacca(2D/1N). Which one should I go first if I am gg to do back-to-back?

Lastly, can recommend good map cos I scared get lost gg to Lake Kenyir. Many thanks :)

My choice would be option 1, but if multi-lane highway driving's for you, option 2 will suit you.

Neutral Newbie

just go with option 1. The new road after kuantan is wider nowadays. Est 6hrs to Dungun.

I went there last year taking option 1, stop at Mersing and Kuantan for breaks. Around 9.5hrs including breaks. Try to start very early in the morning. I started late and reach around 6pm+, and with the rain, I spent half hour looking for the resort car park cos the surrounding is very dark.

Neutral Newbie

Do you really mean that??

Was thinking of going there for a break just to chill, but now am doubtful.

Which is better out of Pangkor, Langkawi and Penang

Pangkor is plain and rustic. If you a RnR goer perhaps it might suits you as their arent much to do there besides napping by the beach or at chalet. [laugh]

Do you really mean that??

Was thinking of going there for a break just to chill, but now am doubtful.

Which is better out of Pangkor, Langkawi and Penang

It wasn't so bad the last time I was there. Stayed in Pangkor Island Beach Resort.

The place was infested with the pesky monkeys, who have a penchant for rummaging through your belongings. Otherwise, the beach, the water, the pool, the pony ride is pretty much the same offering you can get from other beach resorts scattered along the west coast stretch.

The round island trip is an eye opener, but be wary of islander drivers who makes fleecing an art.

No matter which route you take, try to raise your suspension first as the area around Lake Kenyir is pothole country.

And, I would recommend going to Malacca first, then Kenyir. Take the relaxing coastal route back home [;)]

I would also recommend breaking your journey up to Lake Kenyir. Possibly can stop over one night at Cherating... When I went last year, we left S'pore at 730am, arrived at Cherating nearly 6pm (had nice b'fast at Yong Peng and nice lunch at Kuantan). It's a little too far for a normal speed drive unless you are willing to push hard. Watch out for lumber lorries... passing is tricky on the windy roads.

2nd day made the journey into Lake Kenyir.

I dare say this is a more enjoyable trip than Pangkor. The coastal road is a nice drive- used it come back.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Just came back from Lake Kenyir last week. Went up on 6 Jul via Mersing-Kuantan etc...total about 8 hours, smooth going, left house about 6.30am cleared causeway and on our way by 7am...Reached our destination about 3pm.

When we were there, as what others have mentioned, nothing much to do...not even spa. They have changed their name to lake Kenyir Resort and taken out the spa.

Dunno whether we were lucky or unlucky, 2 weeks before our trip, there was almost daily rains in Sg and Malaysia, so I was kinda worreid, it was still raining the night before our departure. But the few days we were there, no rain, but slightly overcast skies.

Scenery was nice. lotsa of mozzies, but we were prepared and got lotsa of mozzie patches for the kids.

Basically be prepared, there are no nearby 7-11 or supermarkets or makan places so we took our meals in the resort, not bad except for the first night dinner where the sign was buffet but actually they were doing set barbecue dunners with starters and some desserts.

Another thing, we wanted to sign up for the 4 hour adventure cruise which is supposed to take you to the herb island (free tongkat Ali tea) and Lisir Waterfall, but the guy said not enuff people so can only go the 2 hour cruise which is to the same island but a nearer waterfall. So LL, we went the next morning, met a copuple from Netherlands and a Singapore family of 4. It was only at the herb island then we found out that ALL of us were keen to try the adventure cruise, so as luck would have it, the boat broke down and we requested the boatman to get a replacement boat that would take us to the Lisir Waterfall...for an additiona price of course.

We did the waterfall thing, got on the boat, and I think everyone was wondering when the boatman would be asking for the adidtional cost, we reached the resort, he said bye bye, we left...so then we thought maybe they will charge to our room...upon checkout...no extra charges....hahaha

On the way back, diverted to Kuala Trengannu for lunch, then took the Segamat route back...big mistake...the road goes on and on, a lot of potholes, and the journey was really long...only reached home after about 12 hours of continous driving with 3 5-10 minutes breaks in between and a 2 hour jam at the causeway...

Supercharged

any picture to share?

8hrs ride, must be darn tiring..

may i ask what speed you traveling?

i tot of driving up north, just don't know where to go. wanted to view some scenary and back to nature

Supercharged

Hi, can anyone advice what we can do while staying in Lake Kenyir? I heard there's nothing much to do, but also heard there's an Adventure tour package, but tour to where? What else to do there?

Is Lake Kenyir Resrt & Spa the only hotel/resort to stay in that Kenyir area?

↡ Advertisement