Is SPC fuel quality#%&@?

Quantum

Twincharged

Octane rating is different from purity. Essentially, higher octane contains more additives to resist knocking at high fuel compression.

I never said they are the same. It’s cleanliness. The fuel is clean.

Higher than 98 Octane.? [confused][laugh]

Yup 98.3 or something like that. The report seems to imply that all their grades exceed specs.
↡ Advertisement

YA. Heard the same from a relative working for Exxon who claimed that they did have an internal report which sampled to find which petrol is the cleanest and also mentioned that Esso exceeds the octane rating vs the rest.

American companies are very fearful of lawsuits, I think they want to avoid any claims of damage to engine due to octane below specification.

Supersonic

老王賣瓜 la.

I am not an export but I would guess 98.3 is normal if the spec calls for 98. You mean the other brands zun zun 98?

Twincharged

Nothing beat RON100

Agreed,We paid So much for Shell V-Power Nitro in S'pore,S'pore Shell should give us 100 Octane.

I got a friend who is in oil refinery. He said ranking in terms of how pure the petrol is for car:

1. Esso

2. Caltex

3. SPC

4. Shell and Sinopec same

Ranking based on what? Or is it hearsay again?

On 6/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, RogerNg_185295 said:
On 6/3/2019 at 2:50 PM, ntuc2018 said:

I got a friend who is in oil refinery. He said ranking in terms of how pure the petrol is for car:

1. Esso

2. Caltex

3. SPC

Ranking based on what? Or is it hearsay again?

Based on hearsay I guess...

1. Esso

2. Caltex

3. SPC

im not sure if purity equates to better mileage but based on my personal experience with Esso and SPC, i find that Esso gives me better mileage compared to SPC

• Praise 1

On 6/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, inlinesix said:

Nothing beat RON100

You will not see any significant difference in power if you use 100RON on a bread and butter car. 

1. Esso

2. Caltex

3. SPC

Your friend should change job to be a story teller or script writer.

All petrol come from the same base stock - crude.

Key differentiating factor is the additives used.

• Praise 1

On 6/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Goldenvodka said:

Really did not see any difference in all the petrol station fuel in SG.

The difference is in the price

image.thumb.png.7a419b0800de2cb3802bfe889ddc1ef4.png

18 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

You will not see any significant difference in power if you use 100RON on a bread and butter car. 

I pump full tank on MYVI.

No 4k RPM No Upshift.

It seems like dual VVT-i at its most aggressive angle

I do not really believe in refuelling top grade fuel will increase performance or mileage, Grades of fuel aside as to comparing milk powder formula , the DNA of parent plays a part, likewise for car, min fuel for my car is 95 and I will maintain the minimum fuel or higher , not the highest grade, yes cars are not built the same engine capacity or performance level. The driver's mode of driving vs city and highway is another that effect the car's condition, upkeep and scheduled maintenance of servicing etc.

8 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

I do not really believe in refuelling top grade fuel will increase performance or mileage, Grades of fuel aside as to comparing milk powder formula , the DNA of parent plays a part, likewise for car, min fuel for my car is 95 and I will maintain the minimum fuel or higher , not the highest grade, yes cars are not built the same engine capacity or performance level. The driver's mode of driving vs city and highway is another that effect the car's condition, upkeep and scheduled maintenance of servicing etc.

Think pump 95 or 98 should be ok.

Ppl will never get it right if they dont understand what's the purpose of the RON rating.

To put it simply whatever the RON you are using it is to prevent engine knock or pre-ignition. It's not to make your engine perform better. I dunno why ppl keep getting this idea. LoL...

The air fuel mixture remain stable even it's compressed to 1/10th of its original volume (engine compression ratio 10:1 for example). Until the spark ignites the mixture. If it's not stable and ignite/combust on its own before the spark is released (engine knock)....then you have to use a higher RON rating to prevent the engine knock or pre-ignition. You will hear it usually when you get out of the car, as though someone is knocking the engine with a small hammer, a ping-ing sound. Some can be heard even after switch off the ignition.

It's also not about purity. This one dunno which ah beng they got it from. The only chemical that can be added to petrol to be used safely for engines is ethanol. In countries like the US they want to reduce the usage on petrol (cos they are a big country that has a lot of cars) you would find the ethanol-petrol mixture sold at the petrol kiosk eg. E10 that 10% ethanol added into the petrol. The higher the number after the "E" the more ethanol. I think more and more countries will be introducing this ethanol mixture to reduce the petrol usage.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

Your friend should change job to be a story teller or script writer.

All petrol come from the same base stock - crude.

Key differentiating factor is the additives used.

You should learn more about refinery before you talk as well. Not the first time you claim all crudes are the same.

There are also many types of crude. Broadly sweet vs sour, heavy vs light. Not to mention the different type of contaminants in the crude. You can have a flavor of it here: https://ts.total.com/en/business-customers/crude-assays/

Different refinery can also have different set ups to produce different quality or type of products. Wholesale price also got different quality.

image.png.ae9beab424f9f5a10cb3ca629f0ae36c.png

Edited by ToyotaShuttle
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1