WP will not win in Aljunied...sad to say that...

LoverofCar

I have no confident in Singaporean that will be willing to go all out to vote for the national rather than self interest.

never ever could understand this sentence.... why voting for PAP is in self interest? And opp is for national?

Because people who vote for PAP are usually concerned over upgrading, new FTs to milk, property prices and rental, fear. Tell me your profile and I will tell you why you should vote for PAP.

And people who vote Oppo - threw away all these considerations and ask themselves whether there should be an alternative voice/competition in Parliament.

It is that simple.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Because Birds of a feather flock together.

I have an Inter-National Bird and never a Selfish Bird.

how abt Angry Birds?

Turbocharged

actually you are both right and wrong.

voting for opposition is for self interest as well because we believe voting the opposition to check on the ruling party will bring long term benefits to the coutnry and we benefit as well although indirectly.

voting for opposition comparatively yields less interest, especially in the short term than voting for ruling party.

1) upgrading and stuff is directly linked to the votes and will be definitely taken away if vote opposition

2) stock market in hte short term may drop also, so it definitely yields more short term intererst to vote ruling party

3) longer term gain is more unguaranteed than shorter term gain because of the time factor and external circumstances that may happen over time

yes this is the one answer i am waiting. can always trust you to come out with sensible answer.

what i want to say is this, dont have to put yourself on moral high ground for voting. go vote, why need to put other ppl with different opinion and direction down?

End of day, Voting is about voting what is best for us. those who are really noble one are not us voter but those who dare put themself in lime light be voted.

Turbocharged

Because people who vote for PAP are usually concerned over upgrading, new FTs to milk, property prices and rental, fear. Tell me your profile and I will tell you why you should vote for PAP.

And people who vote Oppo - threw away all these considerations and ask themselves whether there should be an alternative voice/competition in Parliament.

It is that simple.

dun like that lah, if p@p not concernt abt u, y they plan 20-30yrs ago the MRT system for u? also, y they have police islandwide to make our country safe? its not like hougang got no mrt or police leh

Supercharged

When you walk into the polling station, see all the intimidating uniformed police and plainclothes police around, as well as many white shirt, white pants volunteers, you may get freaked out and change your mind.

Please don't.

hehe last night i smiled to the policeman maintaining order near the serangoon stadium. i hope all voters dont have a slanted view that policeman is out to fix anyone that votes for opposition.

Turbocharged

some neutrals may decide to cast spoil votes...

that'll be better for opp too

Turbocharged

It is that simple.

no i vote for PAP because the Opposition in my area CMI. <_<

Supercharged

yes this is the one answer i am waiting. can always trust you to come out with sensible answer.

End of day, Voting is about voting what is best for us. those who are really noble one are not us voter but those who dare put themself in lime light be voted.

this i definitely agree.

that's why i get upset when i hear pap supporters blast opposition candidates having nothing better to do than to come out and create havoc by participating in election.

opposition candidates sacrifice so much for chance for us voters to be heard and yet they view it so negatively

Turbocharged

this i definitely agree.

that's why i get upset when i hear pap supporters blast opposition candidates having nothing better to do than to come out and create havoc by participating in election.

opposition candidates sacrifice so much for chance for us voters to be heard and yet they view it so negatively

which idiots did that :angry:

ought to be [rifle]

Turbocharged

this i definitely agree.

yup i think that some of the opposition candidates are true Singapore patriots. They may not be the smartest people, but they know how to argue for the people if some policies are not correct. I dont agree with all their policies though as some are quite weak unfortunately

Turbocharged

you know this is a global issue that no one have a solution for?

if you dont know, then good luck to you, no matter how many government you change also face the same problem.

Yes everywhere got such people. I just want to make sure here don have.

Here is my take why WP will not win in Aljunied. This is an assumption so no right no wrong...

2006 number of voters: 145,099 (total votes casted: 133,436) - Opps win 43.91% of votes or 58,593 votes.

2011 number of voter: 143,101 (Assume total vote cast is same: 133,000)

number of voters move out of Aljunied by redrawing GRC: 29,000. The idea is to move the pro opposition block of people to another wards. Assuming 20,000 is pro opps and 9,000 is pro MIW. This mean the remaining pro WP votes in Aljunied had been reduced to ~38,000 votes.

Assuming incoming 9000 voters from the 29,000 voters imported from other wards is still pro WP (AMK and TPG so those are pro MIW originally but no choice to move to Aljunied). So in total, there will be 9,000 + 38,000 =47,000 votes that will vote for WP in 2011.

With ~47,000 out of 133,000 will probably remain loyal to WP, it translate to only 35%. The remaining 16% have to be earned by WP. If LTK can swing 5 % from the pro MIW, Chen S M can swing 2 % (he is still new) and Pritam Singh (he is still new) can swing 2% of pro MIW vote. Slyvia is not first time candidate there so let say she can swing another 2% votes. That will make up 11% more votes. So in total, WP will get ~46% of the total votes in 2011. So looking at it, WP victory is very unlikely.

The above is basd on my simple calculation. No right or wrong method but looking at the maths, WP's victory is quite low and hard. Of course, I hope Aljunied voters can proof me wrong but frankly, I have no confident in Singaporean that will be willing to go all out to vote for the national rather than self interest.

Again, I really hope I can eat my words as I want WP to win.....But I just hope you guys don't place too much hope on Aljunied. PP and Hougang can be won every election is because the voters had not been moved from wards to wards.

Can share with us why you use assumption instead of the available statistics just to pull our leg?

Supercharged
(edited)

i said it before

your vote is secret

but your vote cluster/area is not

so when they redrawn the grc, most probably they know which cluster have the higest opp vote

thus they remove those cluster into another grc

Yes you are right. Yesterday while I was going home ard 6plus at my void deck,

A straits times journalist actually came and asked me:

"I am journalist from Straits Times and don't mind may I know are you voting for the PAP or the opposition party?"

I said: " I will vote for PAP. "(I will put a cross beside the box of opposition party to cross them out)

Journalist: " May I know why?

I reply: " Because PAP has completed the HDB upgrading for my area and look beautiful" (In my heart,

why should I vote for PAP when the upgrading has been completed and no more carrrot)

And the journalists are stopping almost everybody asking the same questions.

Edited by Mahjong74

Turbocharged

Yes everywhere got such people. I just want to make sure here don have.

then you will be disappointed, cause no one can achieve it. [:(]

1st Gear

30 years ago we have the the first opposition since Singapore's independence to win a seat in Parliament. 30 years later we will have the first opposition to win a GRC

↡ Advertisement