Take a deep breath and read on how SG pension works

Ladykillerz

I always want our SG govt would consider giving pension to our elderly.

In the olden days, our grandparents earned low wages and now facing high cost of living.

Some told me that if we want to give pension to the elderly, we need to pay higher taxes.

However, after reading this late news, I seriously got nothing much to say.

Take a deep breath and read on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you didn't already know, our office holders receive pensions. Yes, a sum of money after they quit for the rest of their lives.

It's in the government statutes here - http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi...le&doctitle

Who is an office holder? - The term office holder includes the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister, Speaker, Senior Minister, Minister, Senior Minister of State, Minister of State, Mayor, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Parliamentary Secretary or Political Secretary.

How much? - Depending of length of service, office holders can get a maximum of 2/3 of their annual last drawn salary as an annual pension. For example, PM Lee earns S$3.87m a year now, will get at least S$2.58m a year when he retires. Mah Bow Tan will get at least S$1.8m a year. Vivian Balakrishnan will get S$800k for his 9 years in ministerial office if he retires this year.

Pension lumpsum - Pensions can be paid out in lumpsum if the office holder retiree so chooses. For this purpose the annual pension sum payable is multiplied by a 'prescribed commutation factor' to be decided by the President. Someone who sent an email out about this reckons this number to be 14.6. So if a minister's annual salary is S$2m when he retires, he can ask for S$29.2m in one go.

Taxes on pension - None. See government statutes http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_getdata.pl?actno=2001-REVED-134&doctitle=INCOME+TAX+ACT&date=latest&method=part&segid=1009775494-001719 section (h)://http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...719 section (h)

What about the rest of the civil service? - The rest of the civil service was converted away from the pension scheme to CPF some time ago. So ministerial office is only civil service position in SG that allows for pensions now.

So what's the problem? - After the facts, this is an opinion - These guys already are the highest paid politicians in the world. Seriously, it's a lot of money. Aren't they also saving up for their retirement like the rest of us? We private sector folks will get nothing when we retire (hopefully). MM has encouraged us to keep on working into our 60s and 70s - is it so that our continuing tax payments would fund their pensions? Talk about skewing the rich-poor gap. I'm not cool with it.

- Gurmit Singh

Source: Link

↡ Advertisement

Just a little correction, iirc, They do not have to quit to get pension!

They only have to serve like min 8 years & over 50 or 55 years old. A lot of the PAP ministers are getting pension, on top of their pay!

take a deep breathe and make sure all this will be brought forward should the oppo manage to get into parliament. Look just like pyramid tactic the higher u are the more u get and those at the bottom just get breadcrumbs! [thumbsdown]

(edited)

now i get the picture on why no need to go for corruption. Other countries need to corrupt inorder to make huge money. We no need here because the money is sitting there for them to grap offically. Clear conscious and Best Job in the world.

Edited by Axela72
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

who need to go uni to offer lecture or talk like clinton? hehe

can also write memoir after retire and earn more $$$

Edited by Wt_know

I think they do not have to pay tax as well, but I could be wrong.

On a serious note. I think we should have a pension system, even at the cost of higher taxes. Its like buying insurance for your old age.

now i get the picture on why no need to go for corruption. Other countries need to corrupt inorder to make huge money. We no need here because the money is sitting there for them to grap offically. Clear conscious and Best Job in the world.

it took you so long to realize, bro... that's what i call white corruption.. <_<

3rd Gear

day light robbery :angry:

I think they do not have to pay tax as well, but I could be wrong.

On a serious note. I think we should have a pension system, even at the cost of higher taxes. Its like buying insurance for your old age.

you are right.

on top of the high salaries, incredible bonuses and fruitful pension, they do not need to pay tax.

What about the rest of the civil service? - The rest of the civil service was converted away from the pension scheme to CPF some time ago. So ministerial office is only civil service position in SG that allows for pensions now.

I don't think the entire Civil Service is now on CPF Scheme. I was told the elite Admin Service still retains the pension scheme. The Admin Service is where most of the government scholars are groomed for top positions such as Permanent Secretaries.

I don't think the entire Civil Service is now on CPF Scheme. I was told the elite Admin Service still retains the pension scheme. The Admin Service is where most of the government scholars are groomed for top positions such as Permanent Secretaries.

What exactly does permanent secretaries do?

So now it’s confirmed GST will be raised to 9% to fill this gap. “The decision to increase GST was made to help fund expenditure in areas like healthcare, security and other social spending,” Mr Heng explained.

Actually, GST need not be increased if spending is curbed in certain areas like food waste in SAF camps, and the “abuse” in expenditure (eg. healthcare) by those on pension.    

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/budget-2018-gst-in-singapore-to-be-raised-to-9-between-2021-and-9970714

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2