It's time to end the GRC

Kelpie

From Yahoo! News:

This is the result of Singapore's controversial group representation constituency (GRC) system: the loss of a strong, highly visible foreign minister and of a veteran opposition leader, and the addition of a foot-stomping 27-year-old rookie.

In one fell swoop, three office holders of the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) -- Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo, Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Lim Hwee Hua and Senior Minister of State Zainul Abidin Rasheed are out. Was that the intent of Aljunied voters?

One angry Twitter user @energywen blamed the voters in the GRC, "You guys probably don't know that the stakes of your votes are not just your local MP, but the country's foreign minister as well. Thanks for screwing Singapore."

On the other side of the fence, veteran opposition leader Chiam See Tong lost his seat -- a voice that now needs to be filled in Parliament. Blogger @mrbrown wrote on Twitter, "Chiam See Tong, you fought the good fight. No one can say you didn't. I salute you."Again, was the removal of a respected political leader the real intent of voters?

Marine Parade's Tin Pei Ling becomes the youngest MP at 27.

In sad irony, one of the real winners in all this is Tin Pei Ling. At 27, she is the youngest in the PAP's lineup this election. Compare that with Chiam See Tong, who has been in service to the nation for the same 27 years. Talk about a freak election.

This is the stark reality of our political system -- an all-or-nothing bet that, at best, raises a new generation of leaders. At its worst, it compromises the very thing that we all seek as citizens: a responsive, credible and respectable government.

Politicians are not born -- they are groomed. But the use of the GRC ticket as a fast-track path to politics is irresponsible and dangerous for nationhood. What we've done on election day was to swap experience with youth. But at what price? Is that the intent of voters?

Experiments with the GRC system must end. It's time to abolish the GRC before we further undermine our democracy.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Going by what the PM says during the post-GE press conference, it is unlikely that will happen.

He stoutly defended the GRC system saying it forced the oppo guys to put up minorities candidates & said that was a very good way to involve everyone in a GE.

This is one policy which I am afraid they will NEVER do away....

end soon? hmm.. me thinks far from it

will we have 4 GRCs next?

1) North GRC

2) Central GRC

3) East GRC

4) West GRC

Going by what the PM says during the post-GE press conference, it is unlikely that will happen.

He stoutly defended the GRC system saying it forced the oppo guys to put up minorities candidates & said that was a very good way to involve everyone in a GE.

This is one policy which I am afraid they will NEVER do away....

Well just pray that WP will go and dismentle these GRCs next GE ! Bring a bull - dozer , change the out dated hammer , it was a tool during JBJ time lah .

Turbocharged

I support the view of TS.

GRC has to go. It has deprived us of having the best candidates in the the Parliament.

If there is no GRC, George Yeo will probably not be facing an opposition heavy weight and get elected.

If there is no GRC, Tin Pei Ling might face off with Nicole Seah and voters will decide who is the better candidates to serve them.

For the good of our country. PAP government must do the right thing.

Neutral Newbie

Yes, GRC cost us to lose GY.

Well, it was PAP that came out with this system. Those who voted for them should just shut up about this GRC thingy.

Who is Chen Show Mao, Pritam Singh and Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap? They too just parachute in into parliament through GRC.

Turbocharged

Well, it was PAP that came out with this system. Those who voted for them should just shut up about this GRC thingy.

boh liao, vote for PAP doesnt mean agree in everything they mention. why cannot complain?

Vote for PAP just mean, the opposition voted against are not good enough.

there is a reason why WP win Ajunied and Hougang, And that their team are stronger than the one field by PAP.

Turbocharged

Who is Chen Show Mao, Pritam Singh and Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap? They too just parachute in into parliament through GRC.

They are as qualified as MP as many candidates from PAP. They must be good enough for the Aljunied voters to take that leap of faith.

Neutral Newbie

U r either living in outer space or a frog in a well to give this type of comment.

1st Gear

If TPL can get in, so can anyone of you.

She is one the MOST HATED character in this election, I really wonder how she's going to get on with her job as an MP.

(edited)

If TPL can get in, so can anyone of you.

She is one the MOST HATED character in this election, I really wonder how she's going to get on with her job as an MP.

If GCT put a Husky dog also may get in. Disgusted at the GRC system.

Come to think about it, I rather a husky dog over TPL.

Edited by Kiadaw
↡ Advertisement