Thailand : Driving trip - Singapore to Chiang Mai

Shor

1st Gear
(edited)

Had been driving in Thailand by a Thailand registered car very often. Most my drive is at the North Thailand, to the Golden triangle, Mae Hong Son, Pai, Chiang Rai, Nana etc.

This time I'm gonna drive all the way from Singapore to Northern Thailand. I have a few doubts hope that any bros and sis can advice. My furthest drive so far is to Genting.

Time is not an issue because I have the full months off ( July 2011) . My main concerns are the stop over as I tend not to drive over 600km per day except for the first day, Singapore to Penang. I hope someone can guide me through. Like the border crossing in Jalan Kayu Hitam. What must I do step by step. I had already have my log card ready, valid passport and IDL. But is it really necessary to buy another comprehensive insurance that cover Thailand since the local one only covers 80.5km from Thailand. A company quoted me $426.00 for 15 days coverage in Thailand but is out of my budget, anyone can comment on this or any recommendations will be appreciate!!!

Can I buy the third party insurance for 1 month in Thailand border as I planned to stay in Thailand for around 16 days but the Visa crossing the border by road only stamp 14 days, what must I do to extend?

And what is the preferred province to stop over for a night or two before heading North to Chiang Mai? Initially my plan is SG - PENANG - PHUKET - PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN - LOP BURI - CHIANG MAI. Is this route okay? For bros and sis have similar experience before, PLEASE , I really need your help advice on the route planning.

Thank you very very much! :D [/font][/b][/size][/size]

Edited by Shor
↡ Advertisement

yo man,

why not just hit hat yai on the first day and rest there one nite instead of stopping in penang :)

1st Gear

Thanks brother, heading up to Hatyai from Singapore is a little far to me.....hmmmmmmmm, not enough stamina. I drive alone with my wife reluctant to help me drive!!!!

yo man,

why not just hit hat yai on the first day and rest there one nite instead of stopping in penang :)

Neutral Newbie

i read some where you can buy insurance for your stay driving in Thailand at the boarder... but cant confirm...

just to add... touch wood but do get all the numbers to call in the event of the car breaking down... all my long trips i reconfirme my tow truck numbers from AA singapore.... for the AA services in MY... different states different rules apply for towing all...

have a nice trip! kudos to you to drive all the way up... heard that the long stretch of road at the Malaysia side near the thai boarder resembles a drive in europe... [:)]

http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1209

1st Gear

I researched that the border insurance for Thailand is a basic one.....it covers nothing. And yes, those numbers are extremely important just in case the touch wood......

Will head up once I gathered all important advices from Bros and Sis in here.

i read some where you can buy insurance for your stay driving in Thailand at the boarder... but cant confirm...

just to add... touch wood but do get all the numbers to call in the event of the car breaking down... all my long trips i reconfirme my tow truck numbers from AA singapore.... for the AA services in MY... different states different rules apply for towing all...

have a nice trip! kudos to you to drive all the way up... heard that the long stretch of road at the Malaysia side near the thai boarder resembles a drive in europe... [:)]

http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1209

1st Gear

Wow....kudos! 7 hours reached Hatyai....you must be flying huh!!

Thank you anyway, I doubt my driving ability. The lady passenger beside, must drive carefuly.....lol

friend and i made it up to hat yai in 7 hours, hahaha...

stop by tang kat for some awesome wanton mee!

I researched that the border insurance for Thailand is a basic one.....it covers nothing. And yes, those numbers are extremely important just in case the touch wood......

Will head up once I gathered all important advices from Bros and Sis in here.

Bro, I remember one trip I have my valid Sg insurance to proof to them, no use they insist on the Thai Third Party Insurance, think Thai Gahmen got a stake in it so kanna fine 500 baht.

Since you travelling up with your cow den take it like honeymoon lor, Ipoh nice food and more chinese, Penang, butterworth nice seafood with tody (coconut whisky) or you prefer a kampong setting at gurun, gerik or alor setar. Try to stop at Hatyai very much different from Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Forgot to add, Nasi Lemak or Roti Chanai at Gurun @ RM0.50 nia. My family of Five breakfast and coffee cost me RM7.00 only. [nod]

Can your car take 95 gasohol??? Mine couldn't... and I lugged along 20 litres of toluene to mix. (5 ltrs toluene per full tank gasohol to make ~ 97RON) Some places can't even get 95 gasohol....

This is mandatory Thai insurance required by law for all cars, whether SG, MY or TH... to protect Thai properties, not _your_ car. You still need your own insurance to insure your _own_ car and yourself.

SG to Hatyai in one day will be very tiring for single driver and travelling with family and kids. Family+kids means more and longer stops, so it can take longer. SG to Penang on 1st day is more practical and enjoyable. After that, Hatyai will be very close nia, so you can consider doing Penang to Krabi for 2nd day and stop over Hatyai on returning.

Bro, I remember one trip I have my valid Sg insurance to proof to them, no use they insist on the Thai Third Party Insurance, think Thai Gahmen got a stake in it so kanna fine 500 baht.

Since you travelling up with your cow den take it like honeymoon lor, Ipoh nice food and more chinese, Penang, butterworth nice seafood with tody (coconut whisky) or you prefer a kampong setting at gurun, gerik or alor setar. Try to stop at Hatyai very much different from Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

If it is still available, try to go for Shell V-Power which is 95 Gasoline. But keep in mind this costs more than 95 in SG. Usually, at least one station in each major town has it.

Can your car take 95 gasohol??? Mine couldn't... and I lugged along 20 litres of toluene to mix. (5 ltrs toluene per full tank gasohol to make ~ 97RON) Some places can't even get 95 gasohol....

Appreciate this useful informations.....copied! Thanks bro!

Ooops, I don't know whether my car car take Gasohol or not. Can anyone advise? A Murano 2.5 L .

Neutral Newbie

Ooops, I don't know whether my car car take Gasohol or not. Can anyone advise? A Murano 2.5 L .

Maybe you should take a look at the manual. My korean Trajet could take RON89 so the last trip to Krabi has been using the Thai's petrol without any issue. Getting a 3rd party insur is a must at Thai border. Preferably a GPS should come in handy for such a trip.

For your trip up north, perhap you can try 1st stop Ipoh, then Krabi maybe for a night or 2 before you head up thru Prachuap (nice small fishing town) then Hua Hin, Bangkok, Phitsanulok, sukhothai before hitting Chaing Mai. A month time should be very relax and comfortable driving.

Bon voyage.

Thailand uses E-10 ethanol mix a.k.a. Gasohol.

"Can my Nissan vehicle run on fuel containing ethanol?

Nissan vehicles manufactured from 1 January 2004 onwards are capable of operation on ethanol blends up to E10 (10% ethanol), providing the following conditions are met:

The fuel used (including ethanol-blend) meets the requirements of the Australian Fuel Quality Standards,

A credible history of servicing as per Nissan's recommended service schedule can be shown, and

Blending of the ethanol component to the petroleum component of the fuel has been properly made for example at a fuel refinery (ie there is no "splash"-blending of the fuel).

For Nissan vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 2004, although capable of operation on ethanol-blended ULP, Nissan does NOT recommend the use of ethanol-blended fuel in these vehicles."

http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/owning/S...-Questions.html

↡ Advertisement