What are your thoughts on the newly recommended cycling rules?

Stocker

Thought it is interesting to note that there are laws for cycling in Singapore. Not sure if cyclist are aware of them as I often see "professional" looking cyclists riding in 2 or 3 abreast or weaving in and out of heavy traffic. Hopefully more drivers and cyclists can be aware of these relatively simple laws so that the roads can be a more pleasant environment. :)

Extracted from:

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/ohs/safetyforeveryon...n%20Cycling.pdf

http://www.pedal.sg/pedal/Singapore_Laws.html

1. These Rules may be cited as the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Rules. Definitions.

2. In these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

I think can cycle 2 abreast. Was told by TP before that 2 abreast can. From the rules I think its trying to say cannot have 3 abreast.

(2)No bicycle shall be ridden on the right of any two other bicycles proceeding abreast in the same direction except when overtaking such other bicycles or on parts of roads or paths set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

S 773/2004, wef 01/01/2005

From this sentence seems like 2 abreast can but cannot 3 abreast unless the third bicycle is overtaking.

6. Signals under rule 5 shall be made in sufficient time to enable traffic to take appropriate action for the avoidance of danger. Travelling abreast prohibited.

I thou section 7 was refering to that a cyclist can overtake another cyclist in the action of overtaking, thats why the 2 abreast, but not to be overtaken in the action...

Wah lao, too much till i also blur liao...

I have personally seen 5 cyclists riding abreast, and mind you, they are not in any event or group cycling...

Neutral Newbie

For me I will Siam them...but cycling in Singapore very very dangerous. There is always those cork eyes driver or kiau or bochap one on the road. Soon or late Sui Sui meet them..

What are you talking.... cyclist are sometimes like pedestrian use padestrian path and crossing and sometimes like vehicle, depending on which is favourable.

Have u seen TP stopping them? You knock them u salah [dead]

For me I will Siam them...but cycling in Singapore very very dangerous. There is always those cork eyes driver or kiau or bochap one on the road. Soon or late Sui Sui meet them..

By cycling everyday to work, it improves my driving skill. On a bicycle, u need to be really aware of ur surrounding especially urban cycling. In addition, reaction has be quick & enough. Lastly, it help to improve assertiveness on the road.

W/o cycling on the road, it is bias to say that it is very dangerous. Even though there will be ppl tell me that it is common sense. Mayb i don't have common sense.

Organisers of illegal street cycling race arrested
PUBLISHED ON DEC 9, 2014 11:04 AM
333576382333e.jpg
Participants in HolyCrit, an illegal street cycling race, along Tanglin Halt Road. Two men have been arrested by the Traffic Police for their suspected involvement in promoting and organising illegal racing activities along Tanglin Halt Road last month. -- PHOTO: ST FILE
BY JOYCE LIM
SINGAPORE - Two men have been arrested by the Traffic Police for their suspected involvement in promoting and organising illegal racing activities along Tanglin Halt Road last month.
Traffic Police said in a statement on Tuesday that it had responded to a call on Nov 29 at about 11.50pm regarding cyclists racing along Tanglin Halt Road.
Subsequent investigations led them to arrest two men, aged 28 and 39, for their suspected involvement in promoting and organising the illegal racing event under Section 116 of the Road Traffic Act, Chapter 276.
If convicted, the two men would be liable to a mandatory jail term of up to six months and a fine of between $1,000 and $2,000. In the case of a second or subsequent conviction, they could be jailed up to 12 months and fined between $2,000 and $3,000. The vehicles used in the illegal race would also be forfeited.
Said Assistant Commissioner of Police Sam Tee, the Traffic Police commander: "Traffic Police takes a serious view against illegal racing on public roads and will not hesitate to enforce against irresponsible racers who partake in such illegal activities and jeopardise other road users with their stunts."
The Sunday Times first reported on the illegal street cycling race on Sunday. Named HolyCrit, the racing event first began last year and is held once a month on average.
The recent race at Tanglin Halt Road was the eighth time that such event was held and it attracted 32 participants and close to 100 spectators.
Traffic Police said investigations are ongoing to establish the identity of other cyclists who participated in the illegal race.

• Praise 2

ccb cyclist

y never arrest all the cyclist? y never open bonnet check illegal bicycle mod? How come bicycle can illegal mod? Not factory approved!!!!!! dangerous!!!!!! LTA must come clean!!!!!!! what is TP doing? hide in bushes can catch illegal bicycle race?

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

i think it's hightime need to implement speed limit on bicycles.

And stick round sticker with their speed limit on the bike.

but bicycles don't come with speedo meter leh.

Well, this is same same like Orchard Gudang except 2 wheel lesser.

From this story, it is clearly stated that our TP is sleeping on the job. How come NO one ask TP why are they NOT doing their job?

why can't these bikers race at PG or Sepang? why must racing on public roads? :D

For bicycle, NOBODY in the world do it in motor racing track. It is either open road race or tracking racing in velodrome.

Open road racing is more popular than track racing.

i think it's hightime need to implement speed limit on bicycles.
And stick round sticker with their speed limit on the bike.

Mock, it is not easy to consistently cycle at 50km/h le.

Edited by Davidtch

why can't these bikers race at PG or Sepang? why must racing on public roads? :D

Cos by the time reach PG or Sepang

too tired to race already.

:D

• Praise 1

Supercharged

no leh, last sat i went jb happy hrs. i encountered a bunch of cyclists gg thru custom lane same as bikers. some cover their noses cos smoke was terrible.

i shd hv sell them face mask.

on a serious note, jb roads so dangerous for bikers yet cyclists still want to go in. really scary.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2