Reality check: It was a solid PAP victory

Latka

Can't believe ST got the cheek to print letters of disillusioned cuckoos.

ST Forum

May 11, 2011

Reality check: It was a solid PAP victory

WE MAY have overlooked the fact that this General Election was actually a step backward for the opposition, amid the euphoria of the Workers' Party's victories in Aljunied GRC and the single seat in Hougang.

For a start, there will be only one elected opposition party in the new Parliament - the WP - compared with two in 2006 - the WP and the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA), then led by Mr Chiam See Tong.

The Singapore People's Party lost Potong Pasir, which was contested by his wife and successor Lina, and Mr Chiam failed in his bid to win Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. The results show that although the opposition parties offered better candidates than in previous elections, it was still not enough to convince the majority of the electorate of their calibre.

Apart from Aljunied GRC and Hougang, the WP failed in Moulmein-Kallang GRC, East Coast GRC, Nee Soon GRC, and the single seats of Joo Chiat, Punggol East and Sengkang West.

So the opposition has a long way to go before it can establish itself firmly in Singapore politics, let alone beat the ruling People's Action Party.

I am sure it knows what it has to do. It has to prove itself worthy of the electorate's trust and confidence.

On the other hand, Saturday's GE was a big success (yet again) for the PAP. Winning 81 seats out of 87 is a landslide, by any yardstick.

And remember, in the process, it regained Potong Pasir after 27 years in the hands of Mr Chiam.

The PAP's performance is a clear indication that the majority of Singaporeans still want the party to govern, despite their unhappiness, never mind that the party lost its first GRC and Hougang, and suffered a drop in the overall share of the vote.

I look forward to watching how the PAP performs under its new mandate and whether the WP can deliver its promises to the voters of Aljunied GRC and Hougang.

We can expect the verdict in the next general election.

Anthony Oei

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Cheek or not, the letter happens to be spot on, unfortunately. Singaporeans had a fantastic chance this time to show the gahmen intense displeasure (if they had so wanted) - if more than 50% of the voters in *every* GRC and SMC had wanted to cast a vote against them, the country would be under alternative management right now. That was an unprecedented situation - never has the P*P been forced to expose itself like that.

But now that the dust has settled, it looks like a storm in a teacup. All those Oppo parties and personalities the Netizens were raving about didn't accomplish anything. Worse, the Oppo lost a stronghold in PP, which is a psychological defeat. PP is not likely to come back, given that it's probably going to be merged into some GRC next time.

The next time, things will be different, but I fear they will be worse for the Oppo than the MIW. The greater proportion of grateful "New Citizens" alone will dilute the votes of Singapore-born Singaporeans. Perhaps new initiatives like e-voting (using the Singpass) will come to pass, in which case Singaporeans are going to be even more frightened of vote-tracing and repercussions. We may never get another chance like GE2011, and we threw it away.

The writer of that letter is not alone in his disillusionment (assuming he's disillusioned to begin with). I'm very disillusioned and disappointed too. I know when democracy and our right to make a meaningful choice in the future have been given a trouncing.

What I heard over the radio seems to be like many voted PAP with their conditions stated onto the ballot paper. Perhaps such comments are the voters assumption/imagination to be spoilt votes. It works fine for the ruling party. One thing I puzzled me. We always tick or circle a selected anewer/option. For GE we do the reverse by crossing out what we voted for? Is this to help the ruling party gathers more votes?

I believe many/most illiterates would vote the ruling party, since they unlikely to know what is it all about.

I'm sure those who are not affected by their policies over the last 5 years wl feel sad wif the outcome of GE results. Ask those who lost their jobs to FT and see if they feel sad.

No doubt they have been returned to governing the country, they have always boasted of having a strong mandate fm the people to govern them. But the slip in support and narrow margins conveys that those who voted the other way have had enuff. This time round, the mandate is not so strong. Moreover, the last GE which they had 66.6% of overall votes, not all areas were contested.

So the people has spoken, work to citizens' benefit this term and we may give u a stronger mandate in the next round.

For someone who doesn't know about Singapore political history, the number of 81/6 and 60.1% mandate may be considered a clear victory. In fact, such numbers may be unthinkable in other democratic society.

However, writer is living in self-denial and didn't mention that thie numbers is at its worse since independence. Also, the exit of some key cabinet members which the PM has considered as heavy loss to his team.

So like the FM radio said: "only listen to the good thing" [laugh]

Regards,

Supersonic

I'm sure those who are not affected by their policies over the last 5 years wl feel sad wif the outcome of GE results. Ask those who lost their jobs to FT and see if they feel sad.

No doubt they have been returned to governing the country, they have always boasted of having a strong mandate fm the people to govern them. But the slip in support and narrow margins conveys that those who voted the other way have had enuff. This time round, the mandate is not so strong. Moreover, the last GE which they had 66.6% of overall votes, not all areas were contested.

So the people has spoken, work to citizens' benefit this term and we may give u a stronger mandate in the next round.

The 6% who woke up is unlikely to change their mind come next election.

We would probably see 55% mandate next time.

For all the overwhelming kpkb-ing across the board among the forums & general public areas, it only reflects a mere 6% change in popularity. [hur][dizzy][crazy]

Even got MCFer's sumpar whole family plus grand parents all vote opp(hahaha)..........still the results suggest otherwise.

Furthermore, the previous 2006 GE got a lot more walkover than GE2011.

Plus Opp winning 1 GRC should have easily push it beyond 10% change.........Why only 6% so pathetic ????? Embarressing lei!!!! [:|]

For all the overwhelming kpkb-ing across the board among the forums & general public areas, it only reflects a mere 6% change in popularity. [hur][dizzy][crazy]

Even got MCFer's sumpar whole family plus grand parents all vote opp(hahaha)..........still the results suggest otherwise.

Plus Opp winning 1 GRC should have easily push it beyond 10% change.........Why only 6% so pathetic ????? Embarressing lei!!!! [:|]

the 6% are those you find in various forums... [laugh]

Dont forget there are many in GLC or gov agencies... and that's alot !!! however, if those working in GLC/gov agencies are slowly replace by FT or new citizen... they will switch side... [laugh]

a win is a win.

shares might be down but pap still get the last laugh, its the fact.

nothing wrong with the post.

Cheek or not, the letter happens to be spot on, unfortunately. Singaporeans had a fantastic chance this time to show the gahmen intense displeasure (if they had so wanted) - if more than 50% of the voters in *every* GRC and SMC had wanted to cast a vote against them, the country would be under alternative management right now. That was an unprecedented situation - never has the P*P been forced to expose itself like that.

But now that the dust has settled, it looks like a storm in a teacup. All those Oppo parties and personalities the Netizens were raving about didn't accomplish anything. Worse, the Oppo lost a stronghold in PP, which is a psychological defeat. PP is not likely to come back, given that it's probably going to be merged into some GRC next time.

The next time, things will be different, but I fear they will be worse for the Oppo than the MIW. The greater proportion of grateful "New Citizens" alone will dilute the votes of Singapore-born Singaporeans. Perhaps new initiatives like e-voting (using the Singpass) will come to pass, in which case Singaporeans are going to be even more frightened of vote-tracing and repercussions. We may never get another chance like GE2011, and we threw it away.

The writer of that letter is not alone in his disillusionment (assuming he's disillusioned to begin with). I'm very disillusioned and disappointed too. I know when democracy and our right to make a meaningful choice in the future have been given a trouncing.

ya , the 60% pro will have to regrett and repent for the rest of their life ... [bigcry]

Assuming they add 200K of New Citizens the last 5yrs , then it is a 16% of vote swing leh ..

i also notice every GRC and SMC got a considerable number of missing registered votes.

AMK GRC after adding PAP, Opp votes and void ones still got 11k+ unaccounted for ?????

Every GRC got about average 10k less votes. SMC averages about 2-3k.

Adding all up accounts for almost 10% or 200k voters not able or wanting to vote for one reason or another.

Where are all these ppl ?????? Cannot be all go holiday, businessman, sick at home or hosiptal right ?

Assuming they add 200K of New Citizens the last 5yrs , then it is a 16% of vote swing leh ..

↡ Advertisement