Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

Anyone test drive this car? How is the performance?

The output of 98bhp/163Nm looks weak.

↡ Advertisement

Anyone test drive this car? How is the performance?

The output of 98bhp/163Nm looks weak.

Normal mode pickup laggy. But power mode is good torque and lousy engine. Overall ride still alright to me.

Again, for those into hybrid definitely want good FC, so performance is secondary to them.

Thanks for sharing bro.

You seem pretty vested in this, by any chance have you also booked Prius+ or other Toyota hybrid variant?

Well, Yes. It was a most unbelievable (even to myself) decision... 

Normal mode pickup laggy. But power mode is good torque and lousy engine. Overall ride still alright to me.

Again, for those into hybrid definitely want good FC, so performance is secondary to them.

The power mode is meant to get you out of a tight spot and if necessary, to bring the Prius into the flow of traffics.  "Normal Mode" to most people is personal, different driver drives differently.

Although good FC is the main motive of driving a Prius, there are other plus factors like silence when the car stopped at traffic junctions (unless you don't enjoy silence). Yes the air-compressor is still running, totally non-dependent on engine power.  Another from my American friend, he is enjoying a daily dose of silent kilometer out from his home and another silent kilometer back to his driveway - a ritual he can't live without.

(edited)

Normal mode pickup laggy. But power mode is good torque and noisy engine. Overall ride still alright to me.

Sorry i typo. I mean it is noisy. Not lousy engine lol.

The power mode is meant to get you out of a tight spot and if necessary, to bring the Prius into the flow of traffics.  "Normal Mode" to most people is personal, different driver drives differently.

Although good FC is the main motive of driving a Prius, there are other plus factors like silence when the car stopped at traffic junctions (unless you don't enjoy silence). Yes the air-compressor is still running, totally non-dependent on engine power.  Another from my American friend, he is enjoying a daily dose of silent kilometer out from his home and another silent kilometer back to his driveway - a ritual he can't live without.

I understand ! America petrol so cheap, i think they dont even hack care about battery car? Btw, i skip prius +, decided to go something cheaper by 17k ! End of day, it is about my budget and space.

Edited by Dscheng

Sorry i typo. I mean it is noisy. Not lousy engine lol.

I understand ! America petrol so cheap, i think they dont even hack care about battery car? Btw, i skip prius +, decided to go something cheaper by 17k ! End of day, it is about my budget and space.

I can understand.  It's difficult to reconcile the difference of a car and a personal transport.  If I wanted a car, more of desire, Prius is out!  No worry bro, Prius is personal and very very personal. 

went to view the prius+ just nw. in terms of 3rd row comfort it feels better than xtrail and outlander, with xtrail being the worst.

the grey plastic interior feels really cheapo thou. im enticed by the 10yr battery warranty but not the overall look and feel

the early bird promo (4k discount, free solar film and leather wrapping) will end by nxt week bidding. there is 2k overtrade also.

Understand current price for Prius+ has increased from $119,988 to $123,988!!  Thus the 4K discount for early bird.  2K overtrade is a little on the low side.

Seem like AD is confident with volume/fleet buyers.

I can understand.  It's difficult to reconcile the difference of a car and a personal transport.  If I wanted a car, more of desire, Prius is out!  No worry bro, Prius is personal and very very personal. 

hi, mind sharing what car are you driving now? i was also looking at prius + mainly for the FC.  am currently driving the current generation of wish.  it drives lower and space is similar although the 3rd row is slightly smaller.  wife say u pay so much and yet drive such a similar looking car.  Must well dont change! haha.  True as well.  For those who are looking for a 'wish' equivalent, prius + is a good alternative. 

hi, mind sharing what car are you driving now? i was also looking at prius + mainly for the FC.  am currently driving the current generation of wish.  it drives lower and space is similar although the 3rd row is slightly smaller.  wife say u pay so much and yet drive such a similar looking car.  Must well dont change! haha.  True as well.  For those who are looking for a 'wish' equivalent, prius + is a good alternative. 

My previous cars were huge and thirsty and now much smaller and drink less: Seat Alhambra, Picnic (Children centric then...), 6 years with the 212 Km/h twin-charged Touran and FM said too fast when I just hit 220 once!! Changed to current high riding, fantastic Qashqai 1.2T that can bring me to Ipoh with just 3/4 tank.  Still love her very much but don't like the struggles during takeoff at traffic junctions or just anywhere.

A retired uncle now and thinking Prius' taking off with electric motor only would be a great "upgrade".  What is the best thing to do in retirement but to relearn how to live slowly, drive economically, silently (if possible) and of course not too slow to boil the blood of the those behind the larger Wish, Prius+ I mean.

• Praise 1

Forget to mention!  Toyota Wish is the most beautiful, practical, hardworking and economical creation ever, just like your wife.  Tell her, with a little FL (I don't mean botok) and stay more silent, she is as lovely as the Prius+.  

Now, what is your preferred colour?  I think silver still the best, white enhances the black nose too much! 

• Praise 1

New Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) High power and high fuel economy is achieved at the same time https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain/ths/

The future of Hybrid.  Do you think it is possible to have high power and high fuel economy at the same time?  Well, Toyota think so and I too think so for the following reasons:

• Toyota remains humble in the fields of vehicular engineering
  • Toyota seldom (or never intended) to over claim performances (of all kinds)
  • Toyota business and engineering philosophies are like our government, super slow incremental improvement but steady with end results (may not be the liking for some)

20 years ago and 20 years today, they are people still remain very skeptical of Toyota hybrid (Some to the extend of total dislike for reasons known only to themselves). In term of "Performance", naysayers expect only higher horsepower, higher speed, highest specs and lowest cost.  Toyota hybrid development seems to go the opposite direction - Lowest horsepower, lower speed, may be lowest specs yet higher cost. 

The link: newsroom.toyota contains well illustrated engineering goals and achievements.  The THS II will in my opinion, changes the way people look at hybrid.  With a 2.5L engine and higher torque electric motors soon to be found in the new SUV (replacing Prius+), RAV4, Camry and many more, Hybrid may not be a misunderstood word after all.

• Praise 1

Will Singapore's Prius taxi drivers agree?

My views:

The NA Atkinson engine in the Toyota HSD is a low compression yet high fuel efficient engine. It run cool and with lower RPM (detuned to match the electrc drive motors) and with the engine shutdown most often in ECO drive mode (how often is depend on your right foot), it naturally would wear much less than normal, non-electrical assisted and full time running engines. Simply said, the actual mileage on your Prius engine is much less than the odometer registering!

Mentioned before, with less mechanical parts like flywheels, belts and on/off interrupts replaced by self-regulating electric motors, compressor and water pump will last longer.  Well-designed electric motors are quite lasting, home used air-compressors, fans are some examples. 

Hybrid Battery?  May need some experts to explain on its longevity on Prius.  I only know my Samsung Galaxy Note 1 phone battery still the original and work very well.   

http://www.hybridcars.com/toyota-prius-taxi-running-strong-with-600000-miles-and-original-battery/

• Praise 1

Just got an update from the Prius+ brochure, saw Rear Air-Conditioning.  Brothers signed on the dot recently can confirm?  

• Praise 1

Just got an update from the Prius+ brochure, saw Rear Air-Conditioning. Brothers signed on the dot recently can confirm?

when i view 2 weeks back no rear aircon leh.. SE say aircon strong enuff to come frm frnt
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

There is a roadshow in Suntec City atrium (between Tower 1 & 2) for this week. The Prius + is showcased there. 

Do go and check it out.

Yet to see any pics of this car posted in this thread esp that centre tunnel some bros mentioned which I still can’t picture. Hope some kind soul will enlighten me tks!

• Praise 5

(edited)

just went suntec and confirm no rear aircon

anyway img to describe the middle tunnel another poster talking abt. its the arm rest. but that one almost all car haf so nt sure what is the issue

1Ti85Sc.jpg

H4TfrzG.jpg

Edited by Defcon
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3