Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

Were u driving a Sunny ? Hmm...prius+ feels faster... [crazy]

No. I drive Kia K3 last time and I think it already quite strong power.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

No. I drive Kia K3 last time and I think it already quite strong power.

I see. Did you try Sharan or bmw 220i GT. Though 220i is small on space, the drive experience is good. If low on budget like me, Touran is good enough

• Praise 1

Hi, all bros/sis that owning and driving the Prius wagon (Alpha/Plus or V in Australia), hope you enjoy the "struggles" to return maximum FE on a daily basis.  I was told by many Prius drivers (taxi & Hire car) that once your right foot become part of the pedal, knowing when and how much pressure to apply, you will be rewarded with real world saving not only on fuel but also the expected investment returns if you decide to sell your car later on.  But I bet you won't because driving a Prius can be additive - Because we (humans) love challenge!

The Gen 3 Prius is coming to 10 years old and they are still remain one of the most popular hybrid cars because the most important HSD's promises still persist - Fuel saving and reliability.

While others have many views and nays, the focus is sharing on how to make owning and driving Prius fun$.  Someone shared that he only go top fuel about 3 times per month, I calculate his distance traveled is ~2000 km minimum and that's fantastic!

• Praise 1

Hi:

I am new to this forum. I just gotten delivery of my Prius+ 2 days back. I have driven 125km so far... Average 5.1L/100km on the dashboard. had been driving on Eco mode. Couple of observations, hope someone can help advise.

I notice that the hybrid battery bar was never full. at most 90%?  When i took delivery of the car, it was half full, now it is like 1/4 tank left. seems like it is not that fuel efficient or the gas tank is smaller at the bottom?

• Praise 1

Hi:

I am new to this forum. I just gotten delivery of my Prius+ 2 days back. I have driven 125km so far... Average 5.1L/100km on the dashboard. had been driving on Eco mode. Couple of observations, hope someone can help advise.

I notice that the hybrid battery bar was never full. at most 90%?  When i took delivery of the car, it was half full, now it is like 1/4 tank left. seems like it is not that fuel efficient or the gas tank is smaller at the bottom?

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1022098_2010-toyota-prius-technology-bidding-bye-bye-to-the-bladder

i thought they fixed the bladder issue for the tank.

However, i saw my case, the tank went from 2 bar to 3 bar then 2 bar .

i guess u need to pump full tank and monitor from there.

Same here my battery never get full.

Since you just got it. i got 2 lesson learnt to share

1) the 3 row, if its always down, you may want to remove the head rest as the 2nd row seats passengers may push it all the way back and "dent" the head rest

2) i played with the "B" mode a few times for fun as engine brake to aid braking, i can hear high rev from engine, i guess new car should not try to do that.

Edited by cabriole

Hi:

Congrats and welcome to the "fuel conscious" club.  I would like to think your days of being the first rabbit off traffic lights are over :)  

Driving style is related to FE and you will improve once you get the hang of "manipulating" the Prius. Toyota HSD power generating and control logic can be complicated but in essence, there are not much different from standard automatic or even DSG equipped cars. 

Rule #1 for FE (can read as Fuel Economy or Fuel Efficient): Always takeoff in EV (without invoke the ICE). Once the vehicle mass is in motion, the ICE will not need to work too hard even if it has to come in to speed up the takeoff, for example. 

Rule #2 Ease off the pedal bit by bit and you can feel the traction motor is getting out from its lowest reduction gears and finally settled at 1:1 (motor:drive shaft).  Once you are this state, the car is moving at the quietest and even if ICE cut in, the rpm would be very low and both power sources are well synchronised to drive the car.  In summary, don't get stuck in low gears.

Rule #3 You actually can write all other rules on getting the best FE :) 

It's normal to see 80-90% or 8-9 bars.  The HSD computer will work to prevent or at time reduce the State of Charge (SoS) to less than 100% to protect both hybrid and the normal 12V battery.

5.1 l/100km is almost 20km/l.  And you drive better than me... Haha!

I see. Did you try Sharan or bmw 220i GT. Though 220i is small on space, the drive experience is good. If low on budget like me, Touran is good enough

My initial list is BMW 220i, touran, and Renault diesel mpv.

My European colleague highly recommends Renault and I almost choose it. Finally go this prius due to offered price attractive. So far so good.. Never regret even without the good deal as other buddies shown here.

Thank you Chonsiew. That is on Eco mode... But i do feel that the vehicle has "no" power when overtaking and going up slope. I will try the normal mode...

Try pwr mode when u need. As long as u are not going to hard press on pedal, fc still OK. Some good driving habit really save money and enable u submit less petrol tax

So far, the best avg for me is 26km/L. I like to use the Current as a guide for me to use how much strength to step on the pedal.

When on EV, the Current can be 40km/L. I try to step on the pedal as light as possible to be on high Current. So far, i can easily hit more than 20km/L. Once the car reach a speed, use the momentum as an advantage for light stepping on the pedal.

• Praise 1

Just hit my first 1000km.. overall average 5.9L. I do a lot of very short drives though... still trying to get the hang of it. Yesterday i managed to get one drive that averaged 3.9L... and i was not sure how I did it.

Edited by bobochupchup
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

We just placed downpayment for a new prius+! Still thinking between the colours - Black, Dark Blue/Black or the red prius?

Which colours did you all choose? Any photos to help us make a choice?

Initially, I wanted Pearl White colour and the SE recommend me the new colour "Gold Bronze" colour but I have to wait so I choose Metallic Silver as they have the stock. So far, I did not regret choosing Metallic Silver.

• Praise 1

We just placed downpayment for a new prius+! Still thinking between the colours - Black, Dark Blue/Black or the red prius?

Mine dark blue. Seems like the most common colour on the road
  • Praise 2

dark blue.

many dark blue and black on road...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

We didnt want silver or gray cos our last car was silver. I have been keeping my eyes big and open. So far, only saw 1 white and 1 black on the roads. Yet to see the dark blue but there was one for us to see at the showroom. Hoping to catch the red prius on the roads as we got to confirm the colour tomorrow.

Privacy - how did you get orange? Changed the colour on your own?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1