Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

Unfortunately bro in this shot, the big radiator grill mouth sure looked like your Prius was trying to vacuum up the grass field :blink:  [laugh]

The car already looked like a gigantic Black n Decker car vacuum cleaner already  [:p]  [laugh]

Sharp eyes indeed!  I do agree its nose does look like a car vacuum cleaner and that shouldn't be a bad thing.  I am sure the air after the Prius would be much cleaner :)

**The "grass" was actually Photoshop to shield my number plate. A safeguard for some bros that like to harass the vacuum cleaner that pisses them.  Haha!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

You have your points.

Please suggest alternative MPV that is selling by AD.

Ioniq is good but only can sit 5 person. Voxy is PI model.

Not much choices if you want to buy from AD...

Pls drop by BM and check it out. 

The Prius wagon looks really old compared to other hybrids, which is true anyway considering its been ard since 2012. Just becos it wasn't an official import all these time doesnt mean its a brand new platform.

The dash and instrument cluster seriously showing their age. Cluster is single color and the fonts are too small and cramped too many info into a tiny monitor. Pure digital readouts are very 1990s things. That Nintendo game controller steering wheel is cramped full of awkward looking buttons. The buttons markings are very faint and often get washed out under strong sunlight. 

Climate control is just a simple single zone type. No REAR aircon vents, much less vents for the 3rd row. 

And being an official import from BM, the Prius wagon came with many equipment deleted as usual. Just see the entire row of blank plastic switch cover on the right of the steering wheel. And below that it was supposed to be an integrated ETC reader for JDM. Since ETC has no use for export market, Toyota could have turn that slot into a normal card slot or something, unfortunately Toyota used a piece of plastic that looks like a covered ETC device to block the slot, which render that space totally useless. 

3rd row space is ridiculous. The Prius wagon was designed as a  5 seater initially, 2 tiny seats were added some time after that. There is no useable legroom over there at all. The space is sutiable for babies or people u hate only. 

Front seats size are more suitable for smaller JDM people than big sized people in this part of the world. U feel like siting on the seat rather than in them. And for such an expensive car, it doesn't even have power seats, much less heated/cooled seats. 

Modern safety features eg Toyota Safety Sense suite is not installed either. 

The biggest no no is the gigantic central console where the batt is located. It is so big that it takes up entire central console space. YET, it offers virtually no storage compartment in there! Just 1 round cupholder front n aft each. And the sole covered compartment so small and shallow that u can only put a phone there. And why would u want that cover  your phone as u drive ley?

Go look for other brands of hybrids if u can. Hyundai Ioniq high spec is cheaper and significantly better specs and more powerful than the Prius wagon. The design is way better too

Else if u die die have to stick with Toyota, do consider the Toyota Voxy trio hybrids from PI. At least they are real vans and much better designed than the Prius wagon. Price will be similar too. Specs significantly better too. 

• Praise 1

You have your points.

Please suggest alternative MPV that is selling by AD.

Ioniq is good but only can sit 5 person. Voxy is PI model.

Not much choices if you want to buy from AD...

Kia Carens SX. 

It is bigger than the Prius wagon anytime. And being a diesel, u get 340NM of torque from just 1200rpm. and still get about 18km/L real world FC ard sg roads. 

Try looking for such numbers in Prius lol. 

And being a Kia, you get max specs for the money. Equipments and convinence items that u can only dream of in the Prius wagon.

And the Carens is more than 10k cheaper than Prius wagon... without any CEVS rebates, so your scrap value is not affected

• Praise 1

Real world results on first full tank (old school measurements)

The car was delivered with 3 bars of fuel (full tank is 10 bars) and I topped up the tank (first filling).  I started to run around with the car since last Friday and today, I did another top up (2nd filling) when the fuel indicator at 3 bars.

Statistics:

Mileage clocked: 743 Km

Fuel used (95):    32.658 litres

Average FC:        22.75 Km/L

Potentially, a full tank at 45 litres could (technically) hits 1000 Km. But to achieve that... 

post-160208-0-46982500-1538670026_thumb.jpg

post-160208-0-80312600-1538670035_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

The car was delivered with 3 bars of fuel (full tank is 10 bars) and I topped up the tank (first filling).  I started to run around with the car since last Friday and today, I did another top up (2nd filling) when the fuel indicator at 3 bars.

Statistics:

Potentially, a full tank at 45 litres could (technically) hits 1000 Km. But to achieve that... 

very impressive figures...what is your split btw city and HW?

• Praise 1

Statistics:

That's some nice FC there bro!

For me, I could only hit close to 600km under the same scenario as yours. Maybe as I am driving 20/80 hwy/city or maybe it's just me haha

Edited by sincereseller
  • Praise 1

very impressive figures...what is your split btw city and HW?

City/Hwy: 40/60. Was lucky not caught in any major jam for the first filling.

• Praise 1

That's some nice FC there bro!

For me, I could only hit close to 600km under the same scenario as yours. Maybe as I am driving 20/80 hwy/city or maybe it's just me haha

20/80 for Hwy/City is good but can be better (the reasons you couldn't do it is understandable, all Prius drivers face the same challenge, explicitly or implicitly).

80% City is very taxing for the car and driver especially on the numerous re-take offs.  For the past few days, I really appreciate the torque from the Prius' 60KW motors, it made take offs, inching between traffic, stop-starts and parking a breeze. And all these fuel taxing tasks are almost entirely by electric.

Okay, before some frustrations (from those who tried but couldn't...) and flames (for those who never try but adamant that it can not...) are throwing around, I wish to shower down the expectations a little, particularly on FC.

1.   To achieve the official FC and by those hyper-milers, you need a small revolution in the driving style.  Just drive normally even with the lightest foot is not enough. For example, you must as far as possible do not invoke the ICE but motors.  It's easier say then done at speed 80 - 90.  But if you know how, a reward is awaiting.

2.   You need pace, space and patience, something you may have but others don't.  We need to be thoughtful, we don't owned the road and "force" others to behave like they are all driving the Priuses.

3.   In SG road systems, I think 14 - 18Km/L for Prius+/Alpha is acceptable.  16 - 20Km/L is good  and 18 - 22Km/L is excellent. Fuel economy is not all the reasons you own a hybrid, the movement, the poise and the quietness (when ICE is not invoked) is something worth experiencing.

Well, petrol price is on the way up and diesel is not going to remain low.  There are carbon tax, usage tax and all kinds of vehicle related taxes coming.  A full electric or even a fuel-cell powered car is of course the ultimate but until such supporting infrastructures are in place, hybrid (fuel+electric) shall remain the bridge to future motoring.

I know some are not crossing and some will never cross.  But do come onto the bridge and experience the difference.

20/80 for Hwy/City is good but can be better (the reasons you couldn't do it is understandable, all Prius drivers face the same challenge, explicitly or implicitly).

80% City is very taxing for the car and driver especially on the numerous re-take offs.  For the past few days, I really appreciate the torque from the Prius' 60KW motors, it made take offs, inching between traffic, stop-starts and parking a breeze. And all these fuel taxing tasks are almost entirely by electric.

Yes, agree.

Anyway, have already taken it up north for a ride. Was on Power mode most of the time  [:p]

Question - is Power mode running entirely on petrol? 

• Praise 1

just noticed BM has reduced the price of Prius + from $112,988 to $109,988 despite no significant movement in COE.  Is Prius + selling well for BM?

Without the Wish in their lineup, guess this will be a good alternative to capture the market. 

just noticed BM has reduced the price of Prius + from $112,988 to $109,988 despite no significant movement in COE. Is Prius + selling well for BM?

They recall Prius today.

Might be related.

A simple comparison of the 2 hybrid cars. 

Good questions to ask is,  With higher ICE power, total system output (Tuned), power to weight ratio and 6-speed dual-cluth, Why the Ioniq just barely measures up to the heavier Prius?

Would you like to share your thoughts?

post-160208-0-34962400-1538832251_thumb.png

• Praise 1

Yes, agree.

Anyway, have already taken it up north for a ride. Was on Power mode most of the time  [:p]

Question - is Power mode running entirely on petrol? 

The ECO, Normal (Non-ECO, Non-Power) and POWER mode do not change how the HSD work.  They simply modified the pedal's responses.  Depends on speed and loading (road gradients), the petrol-electric synergy drive varying their power contribution to the drive wheels.  For examples, on climbing a slope, the electric motors cut in for additional torque.  At cruising speed (the electric motors may decide (via fuzzy-logic) to take the drive momentumly, cut the ICE to save a few drops of petrol).  Even in POWER mode, you can observe the energy does come from the hybrid battery occasionally.

Without the Wish in their lineup, guess this will be a good alternative to capture the market. 

Indeed!  But as usual, BM always screwed up their marketing strategies (if they have any).  Just look at the number of hybrid models they offered, no wonder the PI is getting the bigger pie of the cake.

Really, beside being AD, BM is real suck!

The ECO, Normal (Non-ECO, Non-Power) and POWER mode do not change how the HSD work. They simply modified the pedal's responses. Depends on speed and loading (road gradients), the petrol-electric synergy drive varying their power contribution to the drive wheels. For examples, on climbing a slope, the electric motors cut in for additional torque. At cruising speed (the electric motors may decide (via fuzzy-logic) to take the drive momentumly, cut the ICE to save a few drops of petrol). Even in POWER mode, you can observe the energy does come from the hybrid battery occasionally.

Indeed! But as usual, BM always screwed up their marketing strategies (if they have any). Just look at the number of hybrid models they offered, no wonder the PI is getting the bigger pie of the cake.

Really, beside being AD, BM is real suck!

This one is like Nokia type.. Refuse to acknowledge and innovate and also slow in adepting to market demand/changes. Lucky they are AD. If they are not AD.. Surely gg for them.

Kia Carens SX. 

It is bigger than the Prius wagon anytime. And being a diesel, u get 340NM of torque from just 1200rpm. and still get about 18km/L real world FC ard sg roads. 

Try looking for such numbers in Prius lol. 

And being a Kia, you get max specs for the money. Equipments and convinence items that u can only dream of in the Prius wagon.

And the Carens is more than 10k cheaper than Prius wagon... without any CEVS rebates, so your scrap value is not affected

Don't like diesel. Diesel cars will be phased out soon.

And I predict higher tax will charge to diesel cars in the future.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1