Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

A simple comparison of the 2 hybrid cars.

Good questions to ask is, With higher ICE power, total system output (Tuned), power to weight ratio and 6-speed dual-cluth, Why the Ioniq just barely measures up to the heavier Prius?

Would you like to share your thoughts?

7cm longer bt narrower.. yet sits 7... i have yet to sit inside one bt neighbor owns one.

i don't think it's v safe for 3rd row passengers....maybe put ur in laws at 3rd row...

↡ Advertisement

Real world results on first full tank (old school measurements)

The car was delivered with 3 bars of fuel (full tank is 10 bars) and I topped up the tank (first filling).  I started to run around with the car since last Friday and today, I did another top up (2nd filling) when the fuel indicator at 3 bars.

Statistics:

Mileage clocked: 743 Km

Fuel used (95):    32.658 litres

Average FC:        22.75 Km/L

Potentially, a full tank at 45 litres could (technically) hits 1000 Km. But to achieve that... 

Impressive FC! Should be better after 10k run in

• Praise 1

You have your points.

Please suggest alternative MPV that is selling by AD.

Ioniq is good but only can sit 5 person. Voxy is PI model.

Not much choices if you want to buy from AD...

Bought a Honda freed hybrid for only 96k, comes with Honda sensing. Clocking about 21-22km/l at pump. Shows 22 to 23kml on dashboard.

Amazing fc for a car with so much space. Was considering Prius alpha also but luckily I chose this instead.

• Praise 1

Bought a Honda freed hybrid for only 96k, comes with Honda sensing. Clocking about 21-22km/l at pump. Shows 22 to 23kml on dashboard.

Amazing fc for a car with so much space. Was considering Prius alpha also but luckily I chose this instead.

how's your comparison against Prius+ vs Freed?

• Praise 1

Unlike BMW, Nissan, Mazda and a few other car manufacturers such as Ford which used Toyota HSD as the base for hybrid implementation, Honda chosen to do the hybrid with a dual drive shafts on DCT (Dual Clutch) instead of hybrid power via planetary gear (Clutchless).  Honda full hybrid is very interesting with electric motor driving 1, 3, 5, 7 and ICE driving the even number gears from the secondary shaft. I suggest those wish to have a full hybrid Honda to read up and understand how the complex system work. 

My take: The challenge for Honda full hybrid is the DCT which need special care as it subjects to very harsh driving conditions such as high frequency of stop/start in city traffics and jammed roads. If the dual drive shafts can live well in unison (no conflicting power plays) and the DCT can keep its cool, Honda full hybrid is an alternate model of efficient hybrid system. 

Time will tell, Honda had failed once in its original mild hybrid implementation include DCT issues.

Just ordered the Prius+. Price currently at 109+k. Which i think is quite a good deal.

notice that price dropped.  Mind sharing if it comes with leather seats and solar film?  Does BM provide overtrade for their trade in cars?

notice that price dropped. Mind sharing if it comes with leather seats and solar film? Does BM provide overtrade for their trade in cars?

No leather seats. it is available as an option for 1.8k. Promo package comes with 3M Crystalline solar film, front and back dash cam, 10yr batt 1-for-1 warranty, 5yr whole car warranty, 3yr free servicing, 1yr road tax. Not sure about trade-in because I did not trade in my old ride.

No leather seats. it is available as an option for 1.8k. Promo package comes with 3M Crystalline solar film, front and back dash cam, 10yr batt 1-for-1 warranty, 5yr whole car warranty, 3yr free servicing, 1yr road tax. Not sure about trade-in because I did not trade in my old ride.

A good deal!  3yr free servicing is a rarity by BM.  I think the pricing and offers are to move closer to PI's offers, avoiding the fatal mistake on being the last to brought in Wish and almost all of existing non-hybrid lineups. 

Is BM trying to convert existing Wish owners and those on the fence to Prius+? I think existing offer on Prius+ shows a little. 

Is Prius+ a worthy replacement especially for Wish?  Well, See for yourself on the road and numbers don't lie.

Just back from Japan and confirmed the statistics below:

2018 most popular cars for Japan and they are everywhere.

1          Nissan Note     45,569      13,769        12,444        19,356

2          Toyota Prius     36,459      11,507          9,264        15,688

3          Toyota Aqua     34,686      11,167          8,741        14,778

Note is noted for its space and fuel economy despite a non-hybrid!  Hope there is a hybrid version coming, not the full electric model like Nissan Leaf.

A good deal! 3yr free servicing is a rarity by BM. I think the pricing and offers are to move closer to PI's offers, avoiding the fatal mistake on being the last to brought in Wish and almost all of existing non-hybrid lineups.

Is BM trying to convert existing Wish owners and those on the fence to Prius+? I think existing offer on Prius+ shows a little.

Is Prius+ a worthy replacement especially for Wish? Well, See for yourself on the road and numbers don't lie.

my current ride is a 2.0 2010 Wish. I was very impressed with the drive quality and power of the Prius+. I was there at BM to look at the Sienta actually but went for Prius+ in the end.

• Praise 1

my current ride is a 2.0 2010 Wish. I was very impressed with the drive quality and power of the Prius+. I was there at BM to look at the Sienta actually but went for Prius+ in the end.

At this price point, what left to bargain are the goodies and special offers.  Having the car for about 2 weeks now and love every minute on the smooth take-offs and silent electric/hybrid drives.  I am sure the FC, achievable at around 750-850 Km per tank (45 litres) on normal driving will be more than satisfactory for you.

At this price point, what left to bargain are the goodies and special offers. Having the car for about 2 weeks now and love every minute on the smooth take-offs and silent electric/hybrid drives. I am sure the FC, achievable at around 750-850 Km per tank (45 litres) on normal driving will be more than satisfactory for you.

I did get a further 1k discount for being a current toyota owner. which i used up on the low loan top up...

Neutral Newbie

New Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) High power and high fuel economy is achieved at the same time https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/powertrain/ths/

The future of Hybrid.  Do you think it is possible to have high power and high fuel economy at the same time?  Well, Toyota think so and I too think so for the following reasons:

• Toyota remains humble in the fields of vehicular engineering
  • Toyota seldom (or never intended) to over claim performances (of all kinds)
  • Toyota business and engineering philosophies are like our government, super slow incremental improvement but steady with end results (may not be the liking for some)

20 years ago and 20 years today, they are people still remain very skeptical of Toyota hybrid (Some to the extend of total dislike for reasons known only to themselves). In term of "Performance", naysayers expect only higher horsepower, higher speed, highest specs and lowest cost.  Toyota hybrid development seems to go the opposite direction - Lowest horsepower, lower speed, may be lowest specs yet higher cost. 

The link: newsroom.toyota contains well illustrated engineering goals and achievements.  The THS II will in my opinion, changes the way people look at hybrid.  With a 2.5L engine and higher torque electric motors soon to be found in the new SUV (replacing Prius+), RAV4, Camry and many more, Hybrid may not be a misunderstood word after all.

I appreciate the comprehensive description of your view on Toyota, I also going towards Toyota due to the promises they keep delivering. May be I will go for the Prius +

Would be good if we can hear from you about Prius+  VS Freed

• Praise 1

post-160208-0-33685400-1540215280_thumb.jpg

post-160208-0-82586600-1540215292_thumb.jpg

Just topped up with the 5th tank when it was at 2 bars (about 9+ litres left or about 170 Km range remaining). Using old school calculation, that mean the car had traveled 3052 Km with 45+45+45+35 or 170 litres of petrol.

Or 3052/170=18 Km/L (Round up from 17.95) or 5.56L/100 Km in another way of looking at thing.

It was a real world, day to day driving in SG traffics (40/60 city/Hwy) with 3-4 passengers in a 1.5-ton car.  Obviously, the heavier the load (more passengers) and heavier the right foot (drive style to keep pace with others), higher will be the FC.  Thus, the current result is unlike the earlier post which was done with "a little extreme" and unrealistic driving style.

In past 2 weeks of driving, I had basically drove a Toyota Wish but with extremely smooth take-offs, power to overtake and even stayed ahead of the traffics to prove others that not all Prius drivers are road-hogs.  I had even "race" with another Prius taxi and the result was clear - The taxi won!

Disappointing?  It depends on your expectation.  For me, 18 Km/L to maintain a normal drive is good FC. 

↡ Advertisement