Toyota Prius Alpha/Plus

Yongwd

Hi all, I am considering between Prius Plus and Outlander as I am looking for 7 seater. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated?

Personally like the Outlander for its' features but concerned about the FC. Heard it could be as bad as 8-9km/L.

Outlander, although my preferred choice, has pretty bad FC IMO. Decided to just go for Prius+ for its' FC. Looks and drive wise pretty normal but not too concerned about it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

post-160208-0-25317400-1527690201_thumb.jpg

post-160208-0-49517100-1527690097_thumb.jpeg

Would you switch to the most sensible family transport consider the followings:

1.   The oil price is on upward trend ...

2.   Vehicle related taxes are going up for whatever reason ...

3.   Car speed is restrictive and regulated within Singapore roads ...

4.   At $119.988, sensible for a 7-seater? The Prius sedan cost $35,000 more!!

5.   20 years of super reliable track records

Wish to have your opinions if you ever drove one.

https://forms.borneomotors.com.sg/toyota/priusplus/default.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoejg8Mqt2wIVlIiPCh3iEAIAEAAYASAAEgLB1vD_BwE

• Praise 1

Outlander, although my preferred choice, has pretty bad FC IMO. Decided to just go for Prius+ for its' FC. Looks and drive wise pretty normal but not too concerned about it.

Both different category.

If you are concern about FC then you just left choice of hybrid wont go wrong.

• Praise 2

Both different category.

If you are concern about FC then you just left choice of hybrid wont go wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out. Looking for 7seater at about the same price point, if outlander has a better fc, i would have picked it anytime haha.
  • Praise 1

Higher center of gravity. Easy to turn turtle?

If the suv/sedan can turn turtle so easy, we could say that's a very lousy handling design already.

Can check out YouTube search km77 moose test.

That the real test for everyone sharing.

• Praise 1

Congrats to you ! Prius+ look and interior is really not impressive. But well it is a toyota. I actually went to test drive pruis + twice !

So you got the free bird promo? 119k?

Would have gotten this bt the 3rd row space is really bad..

No choice... Bought a Noah at same price 119k...but less features

Congrats to you ! I did consider before on Noah ! It is damn huge and tall. Well it is a full size MPV. But the delivery date is like oct or so. My OC say it is too big. But of course if you got big family, then it is worth it.

Thanks for pointing that out. Looking for 7seater at about the same price point, if outlander has a better fc, i would have picked it anytime haha.

You should be looking at Harrier hybrid  [bounce1] .

Congrats to you ! Prius+ look and interior is really not impressive. But well it is a toyota. I actually went to test drive pruis + twice !

So you got the free bird promo? 119k?

You should be looking at Harrier hybrid  [bounce1] .

Thank you! Yes, I got the early bird promo.

Thank you! Yes, I got the early bird promo.

Congrats! Think this is the right path to future motoring (especially within Singapore).  See you can share the goodies aside the "discounts"?  I was offered 10 years unlimited mileage warranty for the HSD includes 1 to 1 exchange of the 200V HSD's Lithium battery, sports rim, leather seats but sadly, no HUD.

Told the car could be here as early as in mid July.

• Praise 1

went to view the prius+ just nw. in terms of 3rd row comfort it feels better than xtrail and outlander, with xtrail being the worst.

the grey plastic interior feels really cheapo thou. im enticed by the 10yr battery warranty but not the overall look and feel

the early bird promo (4k discount, free solar film and leather wrapping) will end by nxt week bidding. there is 2k overtrade also.

• Praise 1

went to view the prius+ just nw. in terms of 3rd row comfort it feels better than xtrail and outlander, with xtrail being the worst.

the grey plastic interior feels really cheapo thou. im enticed by the 10yr battery warranty but not the overall look and feel

the early bird promo (4k discount, free solar film and leather wrapping) will end by nxt week bidding. there is 2k overtrade also.

Exactly. i actually test drive for 2 time. The stupid center console is really make turn off. Drive feel wise still ok. But should be a very good FC car. 

Exactly. i actually test drive for 2 time. The stupid center console is really make turn off. Drive feel wise still ok. But should be a very good FC car. 

It is an unusual feeling.  The Prius+ seems to say we have to re-learn on how we drive again.  The bias and prejudice of how we look and assess a car will have to discard, accepting the new console may be the first step...  Haha! I am trying to convince myself.

Thanks bro, the sharing is most helpful.  just thinking aloud, Why can't BM provide the light resin (non-glass) sunroof and Head Up Display in place of the discount.

Sharing and comments are welcome.

There are many intriguing techs and engineering in a Hybrid Synergy Drive, and they are worthy of your consideration if you are looking for an overall - more reliable automotive system.

The HSD is completely beltless!!  That is to mean all the accessories (aircon compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump etc..) are now electric motor driven.  There are no belts to replace, much less to tighten or adjust!

There is no starter motor.  The function is  by the secondary motor cum generator (M2) that charge the battery pack, provide power to the main drive motor and yes, to start and stop the petrol engine in traffic or during drive to save fuel.  Meaning, there is no worry of dead starter motor in a start-stop system.

The default to drive off is always the electrical drive motor (M1).  Interesting to note that torque of the M1 is 200 Nm!  I believe it alone is adequate to move the Prius+ out from any basement.  Any Prius driver had tried?  Well, that is to say the 1.8L engine will not need to be stressed constantly in SG's start-stop traffics, basements or multi-storey carparks, thus longer life for the engine.  Also note that the Atkinson engine in HSD is cool running machine compared to a hot turbo engine.

Learning how Toyota HSD work is so interesting.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Sharing and comments are welcome.

There are many intriguing techs and engineering in a Hybrid Synergy Drive, and they are worthy of your consideration if you are looking for an overall - more reliable automotive system.

The HSD is completely beltless!!  That is to mean all the accessories (aircon compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump etc..) are now electric motor driven.  There are no belts to replace, much less to tighten or adjust!

There is no starter motor.  The function is  by the secondary motor cum generator (M2) that charge the battery pack, provide power to the main drive motor and yes, to start and stop the petrol engine in traffic or during drive to save fuel.  Meaning, there is no worry of dead starter motor in a start-stop system.

The default to drive off is always the electrical drive motor (M1).  Interesting to note that torque of the M1 is 200 Nm!  I believe it alone is adequate to move the Prius+ out from any basement.  Any Prius driver had tried?  Well, that is to say the 1.8L engine will not need to be stressed constantly in SG's start-stop traffics, basements or multi-storey carparks, thus longer life for the engine.  Also note that the Atkinson engine in HSD is cool running machine compared to a hot turbo engine.

Learning how Toyota HSD work is so interesting.

Thanks for sharing bro.

You seem pretty vested in this, by any chance have you also booked Prius+ or other Toyota hybrid variant?

Edited by sincereseller

there's alot of difference between more reliable and less maintenence... beltless will be less maintenance.... reliability is unproven yet...

↡ Advertisement