Cartimes

Spo0nie

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

You can try republic auto see any chance of pre-owned that are within your budget and considerations.

I am not affiliated to them.

Neither am i,  his warranty would be assured.  

↡ Advertisement

Thank you for your advice. Its just that with all these years of taking care of my family and then my mum , dad & sis financially I thought its time to do something for myself since my dad passed

• Praise 1

So sorry, but I am not. Its just that I really did not have the money for all these years taking care of two families. So I am just learning about buying a car now.

So sorry Mr. Roger, I was just trying to clarify to the replies that I am not a troll or trying to be funny by saying that I saved for a longtime for a car. There is no disrespect to you or anyone here. I am genuine a teacher that is trying to really own a car (but really clueless about the buying and finance part) but family responsibilities and not so good pay prevents that. There are some really good advice that tell me not to spend my hard earn money and I will listen to that. I have stop the dream of owning a car and will discontinue looking at sg car mart for it. Everytime it just pains me to see the cars that I want but cannot or dare not afford it. Thank you to all. 

42 minutes ago, adrianlim1968 said:

So sorry Mr. Roger, I was just trying to clarify to the replies that I am not a troll or trying to be funny by saying that I saved for a longtime for a car. There is no disrespect to you or anyone here. I am genuine a teacher that is trying to really own a car (but really clueless about the buying and finance part) but family responsibilities and not so good pay prevents that. There are some really good advice that tell me not to spend my hard earn money and I will listen to that. I have stop the dream of owning a car and will discontinue looking at sg car mart for it. Everytime it just pains me to see the cars that I want but cannot or dare not afford it. Thank you to all. 

Life is short, if it's always something you wanted, and you feel you can afford it now, go for it!

Don't live with regrets bro, each day you don't do it, you'll keep thinking about it and yearn for it, just go for it, worst case, sell off after awhile, yeah you might lose money but at least you had the chance to fulfill a dream , Cheers!

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 6

Their car price is like at least 10% higher than other PI.

Trying to bs me with their craps. If only I fail my math then I believe them. 

• Haha! 1

Adrian,

there are good deals out there. You need not go through agents and can do the paper work urself to save a lot. go sniff around in car forums to get from direct sellers. Meet half way from the listed price on car marts. By rule of thumb, used car agents will always have a profit margin of almost S$20,000-28,000. Go half way with the seller as they will get 10k more selling to agents. 

Money is hard to earn and I respect you for taking care of two families. Disregard some clowns here who insult or cast doubts on you despite indication by you having to get something decent for urself after ur dad passed away.  All the best in your search.

best regards

surprised by the bad experiences by many here

got estima from them a few years back, it was a pretty alright experience

I guess it's the used car side that's problematic?

Edited by wlalala

10 hours ago, adrianlim1968 said:

Go for it! A treat to self for being a filial son, husband and father. If you do not need a reliable car to get to work on time, but just want something to use on weekends for self and family enjoyment, get a well-maintained used car that is close to end of 10 year CoE. This way the depreciation is low and you only need to repair essentials. Even the occasional breakdown will not affect you getting to work. If you get a 9 year old car, even if you decide to stop driving after 6 months, the loss is minimal. A reliable Camry, Accord or Subaru will be good introduction to car ownership. Some luxury and space, better than a Corolla which won't break the bank 

Hint is buy from a fellow educator who is selling to buy another car. My senior educator friends, their cars are low mileage even at 10 years. Is their own car and the car is used mostly to get from home to school and back with occasional meetings at MoE and cluster HQ.  

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, adrianlim1968 said:

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot. I will start again and try to work something out. Thank you thank you 😊

What kind of car are you looking for? You really got to do some homework buying from these 2nd hand car dealers. Do not be desparate. God bless you.

42 minutes ago, adrianlim1968 said:

Thank you I will try my best to learn the terms which I have a bit of understanding to do. God bless 😊

Hey Adrian, much respect to you for being the pillar of both families.

If you have deemed it financially ready for you to do so, I would like to share some of my humble opinions:
1) Buy a COE car (COE renewed, hence more than 10 years of age - Depreciation is vastly different from PARF cars)
2) If possible, try direct sellers (Sometimes there are good deals and they let go cheaply)
3) Keep your options up to 1.6 or 1.8L engine only (The road tax @ 150% can be significant between displacements) 
4) If you expect the car to be highly utilized (i.e Shared among siblings + children), get models with good fuel consumption

Do consider operating expenses such as fuel, ERP, parking, insurance, maintenance (Change tyres, breakdown, servicing etc) and see if the overall costs makes sense.

Most importantly, send the said car to your trusted mechanics or established inspection centres for a thorough inspection before transacting.
Set aside some money to replace the wear and tear items since this is an aged ride. It will be good to go afterwards.

Cheers!

P.S
Sharing one of my friend's figures with a fully paid COE car Toyota Vios

Pro-rated depreciation - $400/month ($4800 depreciation per year)
Fuel - $250 - $300/month (~2000km+- per month on Octane 95)
Pro-rated road tax - $85 (Assume max 150% @ $1030/year)
ERP - $150/month
HDB Parking - $110/month
Pro-rated insurance - $90/month (Third Party)
Pro-rated servicing costs - $50/month

Such a basic B&B car can cost ~$1200/month, with no major repair costs (Engine, transmission etc) taken into account.

Edited by Aventa
  • Praise 3

Just look for the most basic car with the lowest dep/year.

Do not need to cater to others comments unless they are helping to pay too.

Hope your dream come true then you can wonder every corners of Singapore / JB once re-open

Either a Jap/korea car will be the better choice as many mechanics outside are very familiar with the issue surface.

Spare parts/re-con are easily available too.

Hope you have a Happy hunting your dream car and own a piece before any new rules kick in.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1