Woodlands Blk 686B have been drinking corpse tainted water

Ahtong

$10 PUB rebate is not enough, MP should request to waive a one month water bill from PUB for all the residents. Hope the flat value of Block 686B Woodlands Drive 75 would not go down because of this incident.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

30cm worm found in dead man's mouth

By Elysa Chen

FIRST, there were two days of pain in his belly. Second, his sudden death. Then came the horrifying discovery: A 30cm-long worm was found in his mouth after his death on Tuesday.

Construction worker Sohal Chokdar Bazlu, 26, had gone to the Singapore General Hospital for a check-up because he had a stomachache on Monday.

A doctor, who had done an X-ray on his abdominal area, said everything was normal, and gave him painkillers and two days' medical leave.

But while he was resting in the workers' quarters in Choa Chu Kang on Tuesday, Mr Sohal, who is from Dhaka in Bangladesh, experienced such bad stomach pains that he called a colleague, Mr Mahanudul Hasan, to ask for help.

The 30-year-old, who had been working closely with Mr Sohal for the last two months, said: "He said that he was not feeling well."

Mr Mahanudul, who was anxious for his friend, asked his foreman to allow him to go back to the workers' quarters to check on his friend.

Rushing back to the workers' quarters in a taxi, Mr Mahanudul ran to Mr Sohal's room, calling out to him.

Said Mr Mahanudul: "I asked him to wake up. He was sleeping. He was very weak.

"He soiled his pants, but he was so weak that he could not take off his pants fully, and I had to help him.

He added: "He couldn't walk, so I had to carry him to the taxi."

All that was on his mind was getting Mr Sohal to a doctor, he said.

"I had one target: See the doctor. I didn't talk to him in the taxi. I just let him cool down and sleep."

When he reached the hospital at about 5pm, he and the doctors at the accident and emergency ward carried Mr Sohal onto a wheelchair and wheeled him to the emergency department, said Mr Mahanudul.

"He was still warm. He was still breathing."

But at 5.40pm, a doctor came out bearing bad news.

Mr Mahanudul said: "He said that my friend died. No more already."

He learnt that there was a 30cm-long worm in his friend's mouth and asked to see it.

Mr Mahanudul said: "When I saw the worm, I knew that's why my friend died."

He then called their employer and asked him to go to the hospital.

"I'm very sad. I want to see him for the last time. Although he was new, I liked him very much after we worked for the last two months together," said Mr Mahanudul.

"He was a good boy, even though he didn't have many friends."

Mr Farhad Eskanderali, 25, who worked at the same construction site, said that although Mr Sohal was not married, he had to support his elderly parents.

He had an elder brother.

Mr Farhad said Mr Sohal had complained of dizziness for about a month.

He said: "He wasn't very healthy. He walked slowly and didn't seem very strong."

Assistant Professor Reuben Wong, a consultant in the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the National University Hospital, said that it seems like Mr Sohal suffered from a parasitic infestation.

Although Dr Wong did not treat Mr Sohal, he said that looking at the size of the worm, Mr Sohal could have been suffering from the infection for a long time before he arrived in Singapore.

Mr Sohal's colleagues said that he had arrived here a few months ago.

Dr Wong said the parasites are commonly passed from one person to another when there is open defecation.

"When someone with a parasitic infestation passes out the eggs of a parasite into soil or water and another person ingests it, the eggs go into the gastrointestinal tract," said Dr Wong.

The worms can also mate in the intestines and sap nutrients from patients, added Dr Wong.

This is why some patients have low blood count and suffer from anaemia, lethargy and giddiness, he explained.

"In extreme cases, a patient could blow his or her nose and a worm can come out."

But there are some who are silent carriers, showing no symptoms at all, said Dr Wong.

Dr Wong, who said the worm found in Mr Sohal's body seemed like a roundworm, added that it is not an uncommon parasitic infestation.

But among the Singapore population, the number of such cases has gone down as hygiene standards have improved.

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Edited by SimonTan

Supercharged

Samantha should run for MP next election! [thumbsup]

Thats what I call walk the talk.

Yeah she shld join the next GE.

In fact we need more such ppl ard. I'm actually thinking HDB residents can form own mgt committee, similiar to private condos.

Maybe can organize according to a cluster of flats or one estate, depending on the size of the estate.

And these mgt committees will work with their estate town councils pertaining to the flats maintenance and relevant issues.

We cannot let town councils suka suka manage our flats.

Give credit when credit is due. His 1st step to NS day for PAP.

India must have trained their people stomach well & strong. [rolleyes]

Of course, that doesn't mean people forget about his previous questional record

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/08/p65-bl...ung-pap-member/

This is which floor? 1-4th floor serviced by direct piping from water source, if drink from the top floors serviced directly by water tank. Middle floors half half.

would the residents living directly on top of the water tank start to see damp spots on the ceiling and then dripping of water like the movie Darkwater?

No mention why the Authority allowed such people (Yown Council) to operate/maintain the water tanks, when they lack the expertise.

No mention why the Town Council employed such people to operate/maintain water tanks, when they also lack the expertise.

The residents should demand only people with the expertise and authorised by the Authority be operating/maintaining the water tanks.

This is which floor? 1-4th floor serviced by direct piping from water source, if drink from the top floors serviced directly by water tank. Middle floors half half.

Oei go watch the YouTube lar... First 5s already tell u who he is, which Blk and which flr

It was already reported water mains support 1st to 3rd flr and tanks support 4th to 15th flr. He is at 9th flr.

First say want mp test, mp test Liao say want health minister test... So if health minister test Liao... Still want who to test?

Dun tell me half full half empty again?

I say just change the f*cking tank...

Oei go watch the YouTube lar... First 5s already tell u who he is, which Blk and which flr

It was already reported water mains support 1st to 3rd flr and tanks support 4th to 15th flr. He is at 9th flr.

First say want mp test, mp test Liao say want health minister test... So if health minister test Liao... Still want who to test?

Dun tell me half full half empty again?

I say just change the f*cking tank...

I watch Youtube, in office so sound not on. that's why ask.

if change tank it will never end, pipes leh? taps leh? Shower heads? wash basin? items which were washed?

But of course it's my personal opinion.

if change tank it will never end, pipes leh? taps leh? Shower heads? wash basin? items which were washed?

That's being difficult... N use iPhone lar got sound.... If u want change house Lor....

might as well demolish the whole flat lar. [knife]

That's being difficult... N use iPhone lar got sound.... If u want change house Lor....

I don't have iphone.... [furious]

Too poor to own an iphone la....

might as well demolish the whole flat lar. [knife]

I meant it in a sacarstic manner la.... I didn't mean to demolish all those, its the same way 3 meals in a hawker center, food court or restaurant was said... [:p]

You studied civil engineering before? [thumbsup]

You studied civil engineering before? [thumbsup]

Nope, I studied the news. It was written somewhere the TC replied which tanks serviced which residents (units) and which floors.

Neutral Newbie

...Then followed by MP going to drink the water from the block......to prove sincerity.

KBW more than qualified...Ex-Minister of Health and current MND, must ensure all HDB water safe to consume. Just imagine his face when about to drink... :ph34r:

↡ Advertisement