Any comments for Chevrolet Optra

Quantum

Turbocharged

Just realised that Chevrolet has exited the scene in Singapore.

Today we are spoilt for choice once it will come SUVs. There have been more 4x4 motor vehicles on the market but which presents its own set of issues for car consumers seeking the perfect 1. So i would recommend you Volvo XC40

Not worth the premium for a Chinese branded SUV.

Volvo = Geely.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Just realised that Chevrolet has exited the scene in Singapore.

Not coming back? 

(edited)

Well, think can scrap my idea of renewing COE for my Optra. No point in keep a car but can't find spare parts easily.

Edited by Optramagnum

Neutral Newbie

Think it only affects the supply of new vehicles. Old model spares still quite easy to find so far. So far, a few things I've changed in my Optra, some original, some OEM and some 3rd party, all working fine and as good as new as I have it serviced regularly and have replaced many of the wear and tear parts. I don't really worry about renewing to save some money, only worry about the PARF that I'll be losing. :)

Neutral Newbie

is Chevrolet Optra Magnum COE car worth considering?
are the spare parts difficult to get in sg /my?
how is the fc like?

thanks in advance

Turbocharged

@DustStorm

Brands like Chevrolet, Chrysler, Fiat, and certain models like the Ford Focus are no longer selling brand new in Singapore, so spare parts availability may be a little challenge.

In terms of annual depreciation, the annual dep of a popular COE car like the Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Latio/Sylphy, Honda City, Toyota Vios are similar to the Optra at about $4K per annum. 

Many of these 2009 cars have a few months to go before scrap and dealers advertise the price with 5 yr COE (they have not renewed COE - advertised with 5 yr COE as lower price makes it easier to sell but annual dep is higher). 

You can offer to buy with 10 year COE and top up an additional $14K (Cat A PQP is $28K - rounded off for easy calculation - actual amount is $27,886).

These are safe buys, because in the worst case scenario if the car turns out to be a lemon and you feel repair costs are not worth it, you can still scrap the car and get back the pro rated COE ($28K PQP) and the scrap value should you make your decision before its 120th month (10th year). At most you lose a few thousand dollars (dealer's marked up price from paper value that you purchased).

You can tell the profit margin by taking the paper value (50% x OMV) which ranges from $7K to $9K, add the current Cat A PQP $28K and you will know the cost of the car to the dealer.

Most important thing to consider when purchasing a COE car is the availability of spare parts.

Good luck in your search. 

Neutral Newbie

is Chevrolet Optra Magnum COE car worth considering?

are the spare parts difficult to get in sg /my?

how is the fc like?

thanks in advance

I renewed my COE last October. Economically, it makes sense for me as my car's condition is kept tip-top and the low COE premium. I couldnt get a replacement car with the same specs/size/capacity/boot space, etc at the same price. Its like around $4K depreciation per year. So far, my workshop is still able to get spares without much problems. There are some generic parts used in the newer models or some other korean cars that can be used in this car. FC hovers around an average of 8-9km/l with 70city/30hway driving. Mine is an estate model (station wagon) and loaded with weight most of the time either with family or groceries. Not sure FC for the sedan and hatchbacks though.

↡ Advertisement