Mileage 110k, Should use 5W30 or 5W40

Ptc77

Neutral Newbie

Car due for servicing 110k, driving stock latio sports, intend to use Amsoil EO, should i use 5W30 or 5W40 ?

Any advice?

↡ Advertisement

Car due for servicing 110k, driving stock latio sports, intend to use Amsoil EO, should i use 5W30 or 5W40 ?

Any advice?

all along you using which one??

if you used 5W30 all the while.. the sudden switch to 5W40 will make you feel like your car gone weak and sluggish.. [drivingcar]

but at this mileage.. most mech will advise you to use 5W40..

i know a MCFer using Amsoil SSO 0W30 for this 160,000km.. [lipsrsealed]

my buddy's city is on 5w30..and his mileage is more than 200k liao... timely maintenance is the key.... [thumbsup]

You can continue to use 5w30 oil. You do not have to switch unless you are having excessive oil consumption (eg. 1L for every 3,000 KM). The reason why older cars need thicker oil is due to wear at the piston rings which causes blow-by. thicker oil can reduce that. If you are not having this issue, then there isn't a need to switch to thicker oil. You FC will drop.

Any advice?

My mileage 200k, using 5w-30

(edited)

im using 5W40 shell helix

point to note...larger engines use more oil....

so if you rev or race some oil will be burned

drive safe

[:)]

Edited by Ithunk

Any advice?

will you be travelling on NSHW? if yes, suggest you to opt for 5W40.

Mugen85 bro is right. If there's no loss of engine oil, you can continue go with 5W30.

it's all about balance.

NA car with high mileage, it is recommended to go for 5W40.

(edited)

anyway if u have a user manual you can read the recommendations....diff car will have diff engine oil requirements.....

lol maybe next servicing i may change to 5W30 but recommended for mine in the user manual is 5W40

anyway relative to the driver....

Edited by Ithunk

Turbocharged

my 4.5yrs old 4at latio just gone for 90K service (odo reads 97K) last week and use 0w30 still but this will be the last round with w30 ..... im preparing 0w40 for next round onward, just thinking of protecting it after 100k, it's always good to give the engine with some form of protection since i rev to 4-5Krpm daily and even 5.5K at certain stretch or while over taking, i guess it's about time to "protect" it slightly at such age and milleage.... no harm and i dont think slight lower fc is going to kill me but a koyak engine before i scrap it will .....

Neutral Newbie

the thinner oil provided better protection at start where most of the wear and tear occurs..

the wear rate between 5w20, 5w30, 5w40 were almost similar for my 200k km old jap mazda

the thinner oil provided better protection at start where most of the wear and tear occurs..

the wear rate between 5w20, 5w30, 5w40 were almost similar for my 200k km old jap mazda

Mine is 380k and i'm still using 10w30. [laugh]

How do you measure the wear rate? You did used oil analysis?

↡ Advertisement