The Mini Cooper questions.

Kiadaw

As I may be moving soon to Europe, & I am looking for an affordable, small, decent looking, & fun car....(while I save up for the big boys later when financial allows & more used to the road conditions there).

If everything ho say, I will be living around 100km from the ring, & I can see myself lapping it once in a while, or drive up the ALPS. so I hope for something decent & handles well.

The Mini Cooper S is selling at well below 10k Euros now used in Germany.So I thinking of a mini,

so here are some questions.

1) Which is the best version. Is it the mini cooper s?

2) Which is better, Manual or auto, thoughts?

3) What is the tuning potential for the mini. The official U.K webby state 0-100 at 7 sec (manual), it is possible to mod to say 5 sec. Realistic target?

4) What is the webby of Mini club in Singapore.

5) Any thing I should look out for?

6) Any other cars I should consider too?

On a side note. I may be looking to sell my evo 9 soon.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

even jcw is 6.9 so 5s no way

sg mini club is dead , rich ppl no like social, only exclusive

heard the manual is superb clutch and gear shift

but turbo is direct inject so used car get carbon build up

snow climate must go high profile tyre

As I may be moving soon to Europe, & I am looking for an affordable, small, decent looking, & fun car....(while I save up for the big boys later when financial allows & more used to the road conditions there).

If everything ho say, I will be living around 100km from the ring, & I can see myself lapping it once in a while, or drive up the ALPS. so I hope for something decent & handles well.

The Mini Cooper S is selling at well below 10k Euros now used in Germany.So I thinking of a mini,

3) What is the tuning potential for the mini. The official U.K webby state 0-100 at 7 sec (manual), it is possible to mod to say 5 sec. Realistic target?

Thanks.

one thing to take note of is some of the ang mohs can be racist.

Thanks.

1. Better version depends. R53 is more raw. R56 is more efficient

2. Of course, manual la.

3. R56 better stay stock.. R53 is proven. Most power is big valve cylinder head but lose low end. Better comprise is a JCW kit. That one is just port and polish. Nice balance. Please remember mini is abt handling, not raw power like evo.

4. minisg.com but dead forum.

5. can't commend on r56 but r53 wear and tear is quite high. Parts cost more than bimmer in SG context.

6. Try a mini.

(edited)

one thing to take note of is some of the ang mohs can be racist.

I heard alot of this in OZ. I used to stay a while in U.K. The people are very friendly. In fact I am quite popular among the ladies & aunties (for good or bad...). [:p]

Don't know have same effect in Germany as well. [:p]

Edited by Kiadaw

r53 is supercharged, and boring

r56 uses twin scroll turbo technology, that give u raw power

r56 lite the latest version, refined the engine via alittle bit

below 5 sec i dont think is possible, but for a 6 sec is possible ot a little lesser is possible,

jcw is 6.9, and can be further tuned.

my stock latest r56 lite is already 7.2 sec stock, with jcw upgrade is 7 sec.

r56 means the model name

r53 is out phase in year 2007

r56 is out phase in year 2011

now they all selling r56 lite

(edited)

even jcw is 6.9 so 5s no way

sg mini club is dead , rich ppl no like social, only exclusive

heard the manual is superb clutch and gear shift

but turbo is direct inject so used car get carbon build up

snow climate must go high profile tyre

latest jcw is 6.5 liao, as 6.9 no ppl will buy as my stock cooper s already is 7.2 sec.

6.9 sec is the cabrio version, as the body heavier hence is slower

2ndly to take note, cooper s got full function like

* moon roof

* lcd screen in the centre

* superd control pedal

* ipod connector

* and some other things like water spraying at your head light

Edited by Minikong

here the dealer does not operate like a proper MINI dealer should, theres no customization to choose, its like choosing a toyota camry 2.0L or 2.4L package, so what good is MINI without custom?

(edited)

r53 is supercharged, and boring

r56 uses twin scroll turbo technology, that give u raw power

r56 lite the latest version, refined the engine via alittle bit

below 5 sec i dont think is possible, but for a 6 sec is possible ot a little lesser is possible,

jcw is 6.9, and can be further tuned.

my stock latest r56 lite is already 7.2 sec stock, with jcw upgrade is 7 sec.

r56 means the model name

r53 is out phase in year 2007

r56 is out phase in year 2011

now they all selling r56 lite

Thanks for the explanation. I am just curious is is that Mini cannot do something like increase boost, use bigger turbo, or something. I mean, thats how normally people increase power in turbo cars (among others). Is there some stock point/tranimission/overheating or ECU problem that prevent such mods?

Just a question.

Edited by Kiadaw

hi hi bro...

1) the best version is the MINI John Cooper Works

alternatively, u can buy a mini cooper S and tune it into the JCW version... but all the bbk and all must add urself

2) since u r in europe, go for the manual!!!

4) www.minisg.com >>> the forum is not very active, but whenever u post questions there, there are some active folks who will contribute, and some pretty valuable ones too

one advise, get the R56 version... if u look at www.northamericanmotoring.com , the are far lesser problems...

cheers man...

(edited)

Thanks for the explanation. I am just curious is is that Mini cannot do something like increase boost, use bigger turbo, or something. I mean, thats how normally people increase power in turbo cars (among others). Is there some stock point/tranimission/overheating or ECU problem that prevent such mods?

Just a question.

no such thing as cannot increase boost la, mini is still a car, just different brand, turbo car like mini s, ecu reflash alone can give u 50 more bhb.

Edited by Minikong

Instead of Mini Cooper, look for BMW 123d. Variable twin turbo diesel with 204hp and 400NM torque. In the city, it consumes 69ML of diesel per KM.

(edited)

Instead of Mini Cooper, look for BMW 123d. Variable twin turbo diesel with 204hp and 400NM torque. In the city, it consumes 69ML of diesel per KM.

So good. I check the price first. [:)]

Edit: Oh my, I just checked the price of 335i in Germany, & you can get a decent milage coupe for 15K Euros!

Edited by Kiadaw

hi hi bro...

1) the best version is the MINI John Cooper Works

alternatively, u can buy a mini cooper S and tune it into the JCW version... but all the bbk and all must add urself

2) since u r in europe, go for the manual!!!

4) www.minisg.com >>> the forum is not very active, but whenever u post questions there, there are some active folks who will contribute, and some pretty valuable ones too

one advise, get the R56 version... if u look at www.northamericanmotoring.com , the are far lesser problems...

cheers man...

Thanks for the advice. [:)]

↡ Advertisement