$8.30 nasi lemak

Speedz76

I haven't gone there for 2 years... food is ok.. didn't know they have increased the price so much.. i def would not buy at this price.. but people actually still queue up to buy [speechless]

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporesc...-072001302.html

Is this nasi lemak worth S$8.30?

This plate of nasi lemak had a drumstick, two kuning fish, an egg, some peanuts and anchovies. Its price: S$8.30.

The local fare was served at a nasi lemak stall along Upper Serangoon Road with a long queue of hungry customers at 10:30 pm.

While the food was delicious, does it warrant a price tag of S$8.30? A plate of nasi lemak usually costs between S$3 to S$6, depending on the dishes picked.

Many Yahoo! Singapore readers debated on Facebook on whether the price was reasonable.

Some justified that this is a sign of Singapore's rising inflation.

Teo Buay Hiang said, "Inflation!!! Rental and cost of food and oil are rocket high therefore high price. Hope our new Minister for MND will help to bring rental down and AVA which is under his wing too, to bring the cost of food down."

"Inflation aside, some of these hawkers have been over-hyped and glorified to the extend that they can slap obscene prices on the customers. Blame it on the ever-popular food blogs," commented Holly Zhang.

Felix Yeo likened the nasi lemak stall to a podcast about a bah chor mee stall by popular blogger mrbrown. "The hawker is trying to set the benchmark. This price increase must be pegged to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP)," Yeo said.

Another user Amos Poh put things into perspective and said, "Wah.. 30cts more than a heart bypass."

However, some users reasoned that the quality of the nasi lemak justifies its price.

Cindy Peck said "it's this kinda price at Ponggol Nasi Lemak. It's very expensive but it's very yummy!"

↡ Advertisement

The last time i ate there was quite a while back.... because the food sux... is not as nice as it used to be...

NOw with this stupid price... dun bother..

I can get a MacD meal upsized.

You can go to subway get a footlong.

You can go to Salad Stop and get a basic Salad dish.

(edited)

singaporeans are a silly bunch.

whats there to debate.

if feel too expensive, dont eat la

if want to eat then LL loh.

that why i never eat that stupid nasi lemak.

for gian pung people.

i cant afford it. i prefer simple $20 - $30 meal

Edited by Throttle2

Oh, I though I am the only one in Singapore feel the pinch!!!! Bought 2 packets, Wings , Eggs, Lady fingers, Fried Wanton & Otaks. Cost me $18. 70 . After this encounter, I swear never visit this stall again.

This stall had been getting more expensive and people are still queuing!!?? Any authorities can control their over- price??? It's just a coffeshop, the price shouldn't be in this category!!! Or they just simply anyhow count?

When I type on this forum, some might said, can afford eat, cannot afford get lost!!! But this wasn't the matter of affordable or not, it's too expensive that got a feeling like being Ripped off!!! I wonder how many people had already boycott this stall. Let me start another topic........bros boycott this stall fall in!!!

I haven't gone there for 2 years... food is ok.. didn't know they have increased the price so much.. i def would not buy at this price.. but people actually still queue up to buy [speechless]

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporesc...-072001302.html

Is this nasi lemak worth S$8.30?

This plate of nasi lemak had a drumstick, two kuning fish, an egg, some peanuts and anchovies. Its price: S$8.30.

The local fare was served at a nasi lemak stall along Upper Serangoon Road with a long queue of hungry customers at 10:30 pm.

While the food was delicious, does it warrant a price tag of S$8.30? A plate of nasi lemak usually costs between S$3 to S$6, depending on the dishes picked.

Many Yahoo! Singapore readers debated on Facebook on whether the price was reasonable.

Some justified that this is a sign of Singapore's rising inflation.

Teo Buay Hiang said, "Inflation!!! Rental and cost of food and oil are rocket high therefore high price. Hope our new Minister for MND will help to bring rental down and AVA which is under his wing too, to bring the cost of food down."

"Inflation aside, some of these hawkers have been over-hyped and glorified to the extend that they can slap obscene prices on the customers. Blame it on the ever-popular food blogs," commented Holly Zhang.

Felix Yeo likened the nasi lemak stall to a podcast about a bah chor mee stall by popular blogger mrbrown. "The hawker is trying to set the benchmark. This price increase must be pegged to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP)," Yeo said.

Another user Amos Poh put things into perspective and said, "Wah.. 30cts more than a heart bypass."

However, some users reasoned that the quality of the nasi lemak justifies its price.

Cindy Peck said "it's this kinda price at Ponggol Nasi Lemak. It's very expensive but it's very yummy!"