Italy Trip in June - Need Advice, Tips & Help

Rayd8or

Neutral Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Italy in June for two weeks.

Going Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.

Any tips on things to look out for?

Any things that I should or must buy?

Any restaurant or food that I must try?

Any places that is out of the ordinary that I should or must go?

Appreciate everyone's contribution.

Thank you!

Rayd8or

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Been to all. Vanice, just one day is enough...when you are there, make a trip to Murano to see the Murano glass making and try the cuttlefish ink spaghetti. Be prepare to get lost in vanice, is normal. Use saint marco square as meeting place for group. For Rome, take an open top bus ticket and it bring you to all the places of interest. Just hop on and hop off..best cheap and easy way to explore Rome. Milan is shopping and shopping..bring more credit card and increase credit limit before that...haha..btw, take express train from state to state...fast and easy..

Edited by LoverofCar

Supercharged

you can do anything you want over there.

The ONLY and most impt tip i must give you is:

WATCH YOUR WALLET AND BELONGINGS.

4th Gear

Surely if you are going to Firenze (remember this word, because you won't see "Florence" anywhere in italian signboards), why not take a side day trip to Pisa and and the Field of Miracles (including Leaning Tower)?

Travelling in Venice can be done via their water bus known as vaporetto..In addition to Murano (the island), you can also consider visiting its lesser known sister, Burano, if a lace museo interests you..

St Mark's square...hmm, besides the obese pigeons, i don't remember much going on..

If going to Rome, remember to validate your bus ticket..Vatican city can be a day trip, insist on going into Sistine chapel if you can though the summer crowd can be...

Like what a fellow forumnite mentioned, please look after your valuables esp in Milan and Rome.

I'm going to Italy in June for two weeks.

>>Congratulation, it will be a nice holiday.

Going Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.

>>Nice romantic places

Any tips on things to look out for?

>>Check out the tall tanned hot babes, all A1 standard...those that you will pay $200 a pop are plenty every corner

Any things that I should or must buy?

>>Buy LV, GUCCI. Leather goods!

Any restaurant or food that I must try?

>>Just try any restaurant...it will be a totally new experience. Avoid those sandwiches and bread, you will get bored. Pizza is everywhere, try it!

Any places that is out of the ordinary that I should or must go?

>>Red light district....to see their high class quality.

You self-travel or by tour group?

If tour group...then forget it......not much opportunity for you to explore.

these r prob the 4 most common cities for italy tourism so you can also get alot of info fr the net.

my little input is june wil b freaking hot so bring your lightest clothes. of the 4, i love florence the most. try to stay there more days. u can also do a day trip to pisa, 1+hr train ride. and rem to climb michelangelo to savour either day break or sunset. for me, its one of the most beautiful in europe, i felt a strong sense of nostalgia and renaissance the city is famous for.

i rem venice most for its outrageous pigeons. they r totally not scared of humans and few wil jus perch on you when u pose for photos. b careful of their poo. if u r visiting the vatican, go as early as possible. i rem i was there at 9 and the queue was alr crazy.

food wise, its jus sandwiches, pastas, pizzas, kebabs, gelatoes. shopping wise, the italian brands like prada, miu miu, gucci, bottegas would b cheaper than say LV and much cheaper than SG prices so rem to get a few.

(edited)

All the sights are famous in those cities and a guidebook/travel website will give you all the advise you need... can't really go wrong.

1 thing you must be careful of is the pickpockets/scam artists in Rome. Don't really want to stereotype but Gypsies are the main pickpockets in Rome. They work in a team (3 or more), so if you go after the person who took your wallet after you realised it is gone, it is already too late cos it would have been handed off to another team member. Prevention is better than cure in Rome. Locals will not really help you because tourists are fair game (they rather the gypsies target tourists than locals).

Also encountered another elaborate scheme: "lost person" approaches me for help with a map. I tried to help the person and then 2 "plainclothes" policemen appeared out of nowhere and confronted me, flash their "badge/ID" and ask for my ID and to examine the money I have in hand, accusing me of doing a "deal" with this person with fake currency. I let them examine my passport (I should not have done so), but luckily I did not have any money with me. If I had, they would have "confiscated" my money. Also encountered this same scheme in Amsterdam. Anyway, I asked a local uniformed policeman later and he told me that the police do not have the right to examine your money.

Be on your guard in Rome, work in a team to safeguard each other from pickpockets and you should be fine.

Other local tips (I lived in Europe for 10 years):

If you want to drink coffee at a cafe, there is a huge difference in price if you sit down at a table to have it and you have it the bar. As coffee is considered a "necessity" and not a luxury for the Italians, the price is cheap if you have your espresso standing at the bar. In Italy, it is unfashionable to drink Cappuccino after 11am (no Italian does it) but they have come to accept that tourists do so.

Edited by Four4s

Go to the old city ruins of Pompei? Sistine chapel?

Rest (like leaning tower, venice, capri island, etc) weren't so memorable...... do only if you have time.

Oh pickpockets.... be real careful and distrust even those carrying infants. I nearly got picked in Venice when a mother carrying a child (about 3 to 4 years old) came upto me. She babbled in her language while sticking a cardboard to my face (under my chin to be exact to prevent me from looking below). Then I felt hands grabbing into my jacket (winter time)...... I stepped away and found the jacket zip undone and the child was most likely the one trying to get at things inside. Lucky a local I presume... started scolding the woman and I quickly did a check of items... nothing missing and walked away while the local was still scolding the woman.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Now I'm getting a bit paranoid with most of you telling me that it's not really safe there.

Been to other European cities before but I guess I have to be extra careful. Sigh!

Will be going to Pisa as a side trip from Firenze and thinking of driving there as I can also do some outlet shopping.

Will be taking the trains from city to city.

Any concerns with driving from Firenze to Pisa?

Thanks.

Rayd8or

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Now I'm getting a bit paranoid with most of you telling me that it's not really safe there.

Been to other European cities before but I guess I have to be extra careful. Sigh!

Will be going to Pisa as a side trip from Firenze and thinking of driving there as I can also do some outlet shopping.

Will be taking the trains from city to city.

Any concerns with driving from Firenze to Pisa?

Thanks.

Rayd8or

Went to Rome last year. It is safe, just be more careful. I took the bus back from their bus interchange at 10+ at night back to my b&b place with my wife n nothing happened. The interchange is supposed to be a shady place at night.

Below interchange got supermarket. U can buy cheap drinks back to hotel or cheap pizza.

How many days u gonna spend there n what u wanna do there? See I can pass u some of my notes anot

And also I think the weather in June should be summer liao quite hot. Ya the Gypsise and the pickpocket got to be very careful.

From firenze, can roam the tuscan region in day trips... drive to siena, pisa, san gimignano and the chianti villages. Go to their local tourist information for local historical maps and pamphlets to guide you.

Don't eat the panini by the roadside lah, go have proper restaurant meals. Be sure to try local tuscan stuff like wild boar pasta and their florentine steak. Their table bread is always cold, dry and tasteless and eaten with olive oil and vinegar because that is the tuscan style so don't call the waiter to complain huh hahaha. Always tip 10% to 15%.

Been there twice already, really love it! Rome, milan, venice are other stories. Unfortunately i think 2 weeks are a little short to cover all the cities you mentioned, unless you do the whirlwind tour. 2 weeks i think only enough to cover rome and florence because these include day trips out to the smaller towns and villages.

just watch ur stuffs, keep bags zipped and tucked... dont carry a bulk of cash and keep taking out ur wallet whenever u pay... keep loose change in pocket or something... it's basic travel sop....

(edited)

http://www.tickitaly.com/tickets/itineraries-tickets.php

highly recommended in venice. take the secret itinerary guide in venice, understand and experience the casanova escape route. remember to try the black ink squid

for rome, roma pass is a must. (http://www.romapass.it/?l=en) 25 eurps per pax for 3 days. entitled to unlimited metro and bus rides + two free entrances to attractions like museums and coluseum. remember to try carbonara. u can buy the roma pass immediately after u arrive at ciampino or fiumicino

Milan nothing much.. for LV products, each passport entitled to 2 wallets and 2 bags for tax refund (only in summer). in winter, each passport can only buy 1 wallet 1 bag. info accurate as of April 2011 (applies to paris, brussels etc). may change as it really depends on the supply. long champ, tax refund max 10 pieces. chanel no limit. prada no limit. milan LV prices more ex than paris by 40euros to 80euros. LV buy from venice better, not crowded. in milan the ppl no time to entertain u.

I have very very very bad experience in milan. just take care of your belongings.

Edited by Liuz0004

Shopping wise, there is really quite good shopping in Firenze itself. Chanel, Bottega, Miu Miu, Prada, Ferragamo, LV etc. Too much to carry around town? They will deliver the shopping bags to your hotel. Oh, the ferragamo museum. Ferragamo is local. Luxury watch fans can also go to the panerai store and museum(temporarily closed), right smack in the middle of one of the big squares.

If you go some distance away from Firenze, there is a SPACE outlet (prada and miu miu overstock) in the countryside. There is also a much bigger outlet that has many brands called The Mall. There are bus trips there from Firenze... Can't really miss it cos got many asians.

It is possible to mix fashion consumerism, the most fantastic art in the history of mankind, museums, great food and culture in florence. In milan, not possible cos there is no culture.

if u got jb iphone, download mTrips for rome, venice etc. very useful. GPS tracking, no need data.

↡ Advertisement