Nucular Power Plant Unavoidable to be build in SG in future

Yewheng

Twincharged
(edited)

Thnik about it, the world will be facing oil shortage soon, likely the world will be moving to find other sources of energy. It would be unavoidable that Singapore will need to build one Nucluar Power Plant in future ( Can't escape it ) . So like it or not it would be a solution for high electricity price and also to reduce the demand of oil. More and more country will also move towards nucular power plants in future. Well.. looks like no choice of a choice.

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

our power plants dun use oil wad

oh.. sorry for my ignorance.. I do not know.. You can flame me.. Sorry. I also learning.. I also not everything know.. Anyway what SG power plant is using ?

oh.. sorry for my ignorance.. I do not know.. You can flame me.. Sorry. I also learning.. I also not everything know.. Anyway what SG power plant is using ?

b-------t and fart from MIW

Twincharged

b-------t and fart from MIW

Quite pei seh.. always thought power plant is using oil.. today I learn something.. :D :D . So what source is SG power plant using?

Quite pei seh.. always thought power plant is using oil.. today I learn something.. :D :D . So what source is SG power plant using?

Natural Gas (That is wat i heard, but don't flame me if wrong [;)]

Twincharged
(edited)

natural gas need use oil right? If not how to produce natural gas ? Sorry I use to though it is.. So I would like to clarify it..

Edited by Yewheng

natural gas need use oil right? If not how to produce natural gas ? Sorry I use to though it is.. So I would like to clarify it..

they are saying natural gases from MIW. :D

our power plants dun use oil wad

They use coal (backup) and natural gas to produce electricity.

But .... but ... but ... the MIW is so smart to make a huge profit or ddeliberately trying to keep electricity prices high, they peg natural gas prices to that of oil.

So oil up, our electricity bill also go up.

Hope LTK or WP can force open the books on how much the power plants are paying for natural gas and coal.

Coal, though pollutive, is definitely cheap.

Approximately 80% of electricity generated are from piped natural gas imported from Malaysia and Indonesia. Gas is not oil and we have plenty of gas reserves all over the world, much more than oil, I think.

But imported gas prices are pegged to high sulfur fuel oil prices, I believe, so our electricity bill is still substantially linked to oil prices. In the future, nuclear generation technology may be sufficiently safe for small reactors to be build to reduce the country's dependency on imported oil and gas but that would probably take another 10 to 20 years. I personally think that day will come. Hopefully, new and improved solar or other form of renewal energy would surface, don't fancy having a nuclear plant on mainland Singapore, not even on an offshore island.

Approximately 80% of electricity generated are from piped natural gas imported from Malaysia and Indonesia. Gas is not oil and we have plenty of gas reserves all over the world, much more than oil, I think.

But imported gas prices are pegged to high sulfur fuel oil prices, I believe, so our electricity bill is still substantially linked to oil prices. In the future, nuclear generation technology may be sufficiently safe for small reactors to be build to reduce the country's dependency on imported oil and gas but that would probably take another 10 to 20 years. I personally think that day will come. Hopefully, new and improved solar or other form of renewal energy would surface, don't fancy having a nuclear plant on mainland Singapore, not even on an offshore island.

In Sg, no matter how advanced the technology is, the price will never be cheap when it reaches consumers.

When the NE line was being built, it was touted that the driverless trains running on technology will be able to save on costs and cheaper. See what happens? Prices are almost as close as to the N-S, E-W lines.

So when nucler power does come to our shores, I believe they'll come out with 100001 excuses to keep prices close to current levels.

But .... but ... but ... the MIW is so smart to make a huge profit or ddeliberately trying to keep electricity prices high, they peg natural gas prices to that of oil.

Hope LTK or WP can force open the books on how much the power plants are paying for natural gas and coal.

Actually, Singapore don't use coal to generate electricity at all. It is just natural gas and low grade oil. Singapore is so small, coal can be imported cheaply from Indonesia, one of the world's lowest cost producers of thermal coal but it can't be the main feedstock for our generation plants.

Prices of gas is bench-marked to oil prices but I doubt it is the MIW's "deliberate intention", I thought it is more of an international market norm as both gas and oil can be used to generate electricity. I suggest you go surf the relevant govt websites if you are keen to find out more.

Twincharged

I still do not understand, natural gas need oil to produce not? This is what I search from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas#N..._gas_processing

"Natural gas is a gas consisting primarily of methane, typically with 0-20% higher hydrocarbons[1] (primarily ethane). It is found associated with other hydrocarbon fuel, in coal beds, as methane clathrates, and is an important fuel source and a major feedstock for fertilizers.

Most natural gas is created by two mechanisms: biogenic and thermogenic. Biogenic gas is created by methanogenic organisms in marshes, bogs, landfills, and shallow sediments. Deeper in the earth, at greater temperature and pressure, thermogenic gas is created from buried organic material.[2]

Before natural gas can be used as a fuel, it must undergo processing to remove almost all materials other than methane. The by-products of that processing include ethane, propane, butanes, pentanes, and higher molecular weight hydrocarbons, elemental sulfur, carbon dioxide, water vapor, and sometimes helium and nitrogen.

Natural gas is often informally referred to as simply gas, especially when compared to other energy sources such as oil or coal."

Oil is dig deep at underground sea level, natural gas also need ?

Arent hydrocarbon sort of oil ?

So to move away from oil, natural gas is the next sources of energy ? Like the CNG ? ( Actually I do not fully understand how CNG is produce and does it require oil also ? )

In Sg, no matter how advanced the technology is, the price will never be cheap when it reaches consumers.

When the NE line was being built, it was touted that the driverless trains running on technology will be able to save on costs and cheaper. See what happens? Prices are almost as close as to the N-S, E-W lines.

So when nucler power does come to our shores, I believe they'll come out with 100001 excuses to keep prices close to current levels.

I don't know if nuclear energy would be cheaper than gas/oil generation plant but more competition can certainly help to lower prices, like in politics. :D:D:D

On public transport, profits of SMRT and Comfortdelgro have been rising year after year, even if there are savings, would it flow to end users? I doubt so. You should be happy they never increase price, cut prices, hello??? If you want to hedge your transport costs, go buy their shares. Cannot fight them, might as well join them.

Anyway, you can't have real cutthroat competition with 2 big players, you probably need 5 or more (ie. taxi market) but the rail market is probably not big enough for 4-5 players, may lead to inefficiency and higher cost. So it has to be regulated, MIW must pressure the operators to run the network more efficiently, I doubt there is another way around this.

I think MRT fares are still reasonable, it is just the overcrowding and frequency issues. Also why are stations build so far apart, unlike in HK. Singapore weather means you can't walk home if your house is in between MRT stations. It is definitely not world class.

Thnik about it, the world will be facing oil shortage soon, likely the world will be moving to find other sources of energy. It would be unavoidable that Singapore will need to build one Nucluar Power Plant in future ( Can't escape it ) . So like it or not it would be a solution for high electricity price and also to reduce the demand of oil. More and more country will also move towards nucular power plants in future. Well.. looks like no choice of a choice.

Can share with us if you are selling nuclear power industry equipment? Why not sell us any other safer/cheaper energies? Or are you frog-in-a-well showing us how loud you can craok?

Twincharged

Can share with us if you are selling nuclear power industry equipment? Why not sell us any other safer/cheaper energies? Or are you frog-in-a-well showing us how loud you can craok?

I not selling anything. I just like to share. If there is anything wrong with sharing.. than ok. I also learning. I still got alot things I do not know..

I not selling anything. I just like to share. If there is anything wrong with sharing.. than ok. I also learning. I still got alot things I do not know..

Many thanks for the clarification. I believe hydro and wind energies are still among the safer and cheaper than nuclear energy available. However, being more dangerous, nuclear infrastructures cost much more, so does the profit sum. It is all about business. I believe if you are business/sales people, you also know this very well. Otherwise, many/most people are being hard-sold to nuclear energy for profits.

Twincharged
(edited)

Quite scary when oil is at peak and will crunch soon, I always think all things need oil, even clothing, car tyre indirectly also need oil and I always thought SG power uses oil, natural gas also part of oil ? So I was wondering and like to clarify and learn what exactly natural gas is produce from. If let's say natural gas is completely seperate from oil, than next energy sources will be natural gas, but nuclear sources would always be the option come in and I believe it is unavoidable that nuclear power plant will be more popular choice in the world (in future).

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement